Author Topic: Romania in WW1,WW2 and The Cold War  (Read 10984 times)

Offline Noodlenrice

• Major
  • King of Nam'
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st_Pte_Noodlenrice
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Romania in WW1,WW2 and The Cold War
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2014, 07:13:43 am »
Maybe some ethnic groups are better at fighting than others, we are all different. Romanians maybe lacked the soldier spirit, but they had some good scientists.

That is like claiming that all Asians are bad soldiers and great doctaars, lawya, dentist (that video still cracks me up today)

I think I was borderline racist..
It was a little joke, but I would like to say that you shouldn't have said that last sentence of yours. The other is fine but saying that a certain ethnicity isn't good at an occupation is pretty racist. (Not calling you one, maybe you portrayed what you meant wrongly.

Offline Aiello

• Donator
  • I like what I'm reading.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 06:06:40 pm »
I think the point needs to be reiterated that countries/nationalities produce both elite and lackluster soldiers at different times in their history. While equipment is certainly a factor, quality of fighting forces tends to depend on leadership with one of Romania's high points being under Vlad the Impaler and at the very least average during the World Wars.

Perhaps the best example of this is the French military during WWI and WWII. Going into the WWI the French army was considered the most elite fighting force in history and the present. The French had a belief that their soldiers must always find glory in the offense and be on the attack at all times, the French reference this as military Élan. The impressiveness of the German army and the way of which WWI was fought, mostly static warfare with no room for French Élan, shattered the military psyche of the French despite victory. By the time WWII came around the French military was going through what was essentially an existential crises, many military leaders had a defeatist attitude when Germany attacked and believed peace at all costs was better than another war. Unmotivated leaders mixed with many commanders' neglect to adjust strategy led to a stunning defeat.

Offline Johan

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [5teFKI]_Oberst_Johann
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 02:32:15 am »
I'm afraid I personally don't think Romania is such a great country.

Offline Aiello

• Donator
  • I like what I'm reading.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2014, 04:53:23 pm »
I'm afraid I personally don't think Romania is such a great country.

I think you'll find the majority of people who aren't Romanians don't find it a great country, regardless at certain points in history its made a mark.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:28:08 pm by Aiello »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2014, 05:21:34 pm »
Romania is...Romania, I guess.

Offline darthdj31

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2014, 06:08:59 am »
What I find interesting about Cold War Romania was the Decree that banned abortion and birth control. Huge effects for the country that linger today.