Author Topic: Advice on a PC Build  (Read 7081 times)

Offline Cubtheman

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Watermelon_Curb
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Advice on a PC Build
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2016, 04:00:04 pm »
Computer Build: 11/10 Must Rate again.

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2016, 10:58:17 pm »
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8320FRHKBOX Desktop Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Memory: EVGA 2400 SuperSC DDR3 Series (8GB)
Storage: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX
Video Card: MSI Computer Corp. Video Graphics Card R9 270 GAMING 2G
Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 744 Power Supply CX750M
Operating System: Windows 8.1
Total: $563 (Roughly - Includes thermite paste and anti-static band for assembly of my PC)

This is my first time making a build myself and actually taking the time to build it myself. The current computer I play my games on is horrible, not even meant to be used for gaming. I got each of these parts separately and it's kind of my first 'budget' gaming PC if you would call it that. I am kind of anxious and scared at the same time. I don't really want to mess up anything in terms of compatibility or hurting something in the process of assembling the PC itself. I am going to take the assembly slow at first to avoid messing anything up, seeing as it is my first time doing anything gaming PC related. I do have a friend who is good with this type of stuff and has built his own PCs who will be assisting me with the assembly, but for extra precaution I'll be going through a PC building youtube video of an individual building a similar type of PC. Anyone have any tips for my build? Is everything correct in terms of compatibility? Anything I should know? I'm just curious.  :P
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:01:30 pm by GeneralSquirts »

Offline Sleek

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2016, 11:32:04 pm »
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8320FRHKBOX Desktop Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
Storage: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 744 Power Supply CX750M
Total: $563 (Roughly - Includes thermite paste and anti-static band for assembly of my PC)

This is my first time making a build myself and actually taking the time to build it myself. The current computer I play my games on is horrible, not even meant to be used for gaming. I got each of these parts separately and it's kind of my first 'budget' gaming PC if you would call it that. I am kind of anxious and scared at the same time. I don't really want to mess up anything in terms of compatibility or hurting something in the process of assembling the PC itself. I am going to take the assembly slow at first to avoid messing anything up, seeing as it is my first time doing anything gaming PC related. I do have a friend who is good with this type of stuff and has built his own PCs who will be assisting me with the assembly, but for extra precaution I'll be going through a PC building youtube video of an individual building a similar type of PC. Anyone have any tips for my build? Is everything correct in terms of compatibility? Anything I should know? I'm just curious.  :P

Do you have a PCPartPicker link that we could see?

For the storage, if you can afford it, it is very much worth getting a small SSD harddrive for your Operating System and using the 1TB for everything else.

For the video card, try and see if there are any better options around the same price, I'm sure there will be.

For the Power Supply, are you sure you need 750 Watts? I think that's a bit overkill for a budget computer.
Quote from: Theodin
Sleek somehow only attacks when he’s successfully pulled a dude away and his team is coming to help - as in, the most reasonable time to continue blocking

Sleek plays like he's underwater - slow

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2016, 11:36:04 pm »
I "just"(2 weeks ago) bought a 970, my pc doesn't like it. Would this be a power issue or processing?

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2016, 12:25:46 am »
Spoiler

Do you have a PCPartPicker link that we could see?

For the storage, if you can afford it, it is very much worth getting a small SSD harddrive for your Operating System and using the 1TB for everything else.

For the video card, try and see if there are any better options around the same price, I'm sure there will be.

For the Power Supply, are you sure you need 750 Watts? I think that's a bit overkill for a budget computer.
[close]

Erm, I could go back and link all of the parts. I kind of went on different sites and were given these parts as suggestions from my friend. As I said I am new to all of the terminology and familiarity of PC specs. I don't know much in comparison to others, I kind of am going of my friends recommendations which may be silly, but I really didn't have any other source to go off of. I really wouldn't know how to get better options in terms of the GPU, as I personally don't know what would or wouldn't be better. As for the PSU, I kind of just went off my friends suggestion for it, just like many of the parts listed. For the storage comment,w hat would be the upside of getting a small SSD hard drive for my OS?

Offline Sleek

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2016, 12:31:28 am »
PCPartPicker is the website to use when building a computer, very simplistic and well thought out. It gives you the parts that are compatible with each other so you shouldn't have to worry if all the parts fit in the case for example.

Also, if you do decide to use the website, people give reviews of how they work, etc.

As for the PSU, using the website gives you the estimated wattage all the parts will used when put together. So for your build, let's say that the estimated wattage it tells you is 300. Buying a 700 is overkill for such a system.

As for the SSD, an SSD is proven to be much faster and more efficient than an HDD in terms of starting programs, load times (depending on the game), it's just generally better in every way, but it is obviously more expensive. I wouldn't go higher than a 250GB SSD as I don't think you will need it. Get a 120GB or something around those lines. You would still be getting a HDD of 1GB which you could put all of your pictures, games, and most everything else on it.

I "just"(2 weeks ago) bought a 970, my pc doesn't like it. Would this be a power issue or processing?

What do you mean, doesn't like it? As in the games crash or the screen goes black or something? It could be both of the things you mentioned.
Quote from: Theodin
Sleek somehow only attacks when he’s successfully pulled a dude away and his team is coming to help - as in, the most reasonable time to continue blocking

Sleek plays like he's underwater - slow

Offline Andee

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 01:01:42 am »

What do you mean?

Building a PC is very straight forward. If you understand how a PC words, you shouldn't have a tough time :D My first build took me about an hour and a half and my wiring looks like a rats nest (which I should probably fix). If you have any questions, Newegg did a very detailed video on building a PC, which I'll link . In terms of compatibilty, if you made the list on PC part picker it will tell you any compatibility issues. If you didn't, just make a list with the parts you have here and it should tell you.

Like Sleek said, the 750W power supply is pretty overkill. PC part picker also tells you the wattage of your build and I tend to go about 100W over that to be safe. For instance, my current build is ~393W, and I'll be using a 550W PSU.
xD

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2016, 02:34:03 am »
Spoiler
[close]
Firstly, your PSU has loads of extra power. I'd go for like 500W max, which will give you room to upgrade, but honestly you should probably go for like 400W and save the extra money for a new build entirely in a few years.
SSDs are great, but if you're going for a budget build, don't stress about it, it's really not the end of the world not having one.
Is your RAM 2400Hz? If so, downgrade it, you won't notice the difference between 1800Hz and 2400Hz with that build.
Nice GPU and decent CPU, they're similar(ish) for performance. If you have extra money (saving some on RAM and PSU) then get a better CPU. That's what will be bottlenecking your rig at this point, so you'll see the best improvements in performance by getting a better CPU.

Lastly I would recommend using something like PC parts picker, but it's up to you. As long as you've checked the compatibility of the CPU and Mobo then you'll be fine.

Also for the love of god get Windows 10. I don't remember if you can upgrade to 10 from 8 for free if you're only just buying 8 now. Double check it before you do because it would be an expensive mistake to make.

Offline Who-

• Colonel
  • You been lookin' for the wrong one
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 06:16:13 am »
System specs?
I'm like a reincarnated Saltyy But I actually have some talent.

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2016, 07:33:45 am »
Thanks guys, I really am grateful for all the tips. I'll definitely be checking out the site and maybe even perhaps edit my build before I spend my money for it.  ;D

Offline Who-

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2016, 01:59:06 am »
Thanks guys, I really am grateful for all the tips. I'll definitely be checking out the site and maybe even perhaps edit my build before I spend my money for it.  ;D
You probably only need like 500Watts for ur computer

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 09:29:35 am »
Now, one of my questions is will my PC suffer by having the 750 Watt PSU. Even though it is overkill, it wouldn't harm my build or effect my build in any way right? At the end of the day isn't it only giving the PC components the amount of power it needs. I kind of wanted to get the 750 Watt PSU for when I begin wanting to upgrade the build altogether. But overall, I just want to know if it would be fine to keep the 750 Watt PSU altogether. As for finding a cheaper alternative for my current video card selection, but with the same performance, I don't know what to really look for in terms of specifics on a video card to compare one from another. I'm currently trying to figure out how I would find the same performance on an equally efficient, cheaper video card when I don't know what to look for. Also, thanks for that video Andee, helped me understand a lot. I also thank everyone who's been helping me out so far. Hehe.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:31:46 am by GeneralSquirts »

Offline Who-

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2016, 11:39:51 am »
Not a single disadvantage to having more power then you need at all, And as for your graphics card you could look at this http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:42:50 am by Who- »

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2016, 06:51:57 pm »
Not a single disadvantage to having more power then you need at all, And as for your graphics card you could look at this http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

Freaking awesome, site is very useful. Thank you for the information.  ;D

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2016, 06:55:46 pm »
I wouldn't bother upgrading that (current lineup of your) PC later. Your CPU is not great to be honest and that's what will be holding you back. It's easy to replace a lot of things (GPU, PSU, RAM etc) but the CPU is awful so I really wouldn't bother. You're much more likely to break something while doing it than with other bits which slot in and out easily.

Alternatively, get a better CPU with a cheaper PSU atm and then you can upgrade GPU and PSU later and get more RAM etc. Atm your CPU is the weakest part of your PC anyway so it makes the most sense. Depends how much extra a 750W PSU is compared to say 450W.