Author Topic: 19th Yorkshire Regiment [EU] *-b +/- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)/2a*  (Read 53594 times)

Offline Kieran

• Sergeant Major
  • Successfully couped the 19th off Pres!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: 19th Yorkshire Regiment [EU] *Least Disbanded Regiment!*
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2019, 04:08:08 pm »
Glad to see we are all getting along.

Offline 33rdKincaid

• Major General
  • 33rd_Col_Kincaid
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kincaid
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2019, 04:12:00 pm »
Glad to see we are all getting along.

Must admit I am pleasantly surprised it's been a well-mannered discussion without warping into a full-blown argument ;D ;D gg wp all x

Offline El_Presidente

• Colonel
  • David
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2019, 04:18:33 pm »
We are a very controversial yet misunderstood regiment, here we can have a peaceful discussion.

Our only crime is typing in global chat during events. A crime we have been reprimanded many a time for  :'(

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2019, 04:33:18 pm »
I'd like to add we despise this behaviour so much because it doesn't do any good for the game.

New people join regiments lead by these kind of people, and what do they see? Power hungry manchildren. They then conclude regiments are run by idiots and either: join servers like NRP or Minisiege and mock regiments, or leave the game completely.

This mass of crappy people are killing the game, they always have. This is what makes us so 'xenophobic'.

Again, I feel like there is a lot of generalizing here. Some people may have had a bad experience with the competitive regiments and deem the regimental experience as not worth their time. Well, as sad as it is, that's on them for not taking the time to look for something which suits them better. On the other side of the spectrum, many of the players who try out competitive NW stay active because they enjoy it. Yes, some of them are driven by the eager to prove themselves on a online video-game and may or may not turn into complete cunt in order to reach such a position. But many others just enjoy the feeling of competing for something, the pressure coming with it because there is something at stake, as little as it is, or the satisfaction of building something from scratch, training new members and turning them into players capable of rivalling with some of the best veterans of the current NW community.

That is why I feel claiming that the competitive community is what's killing the game sounds really wrong. I would argue it contributes to keeping it alive, the same way the many but mostly anonymous casual regiments do. However, I don't have your experience of the game so it's probably why I don't see things the same way as you do.

With that being, I have huge respect for people who prefer focusing on casuals as it represents a challenge and surely not an easy one. For the reason, I can totally get behind the 'we are priding ourselves with this particular approach'. Netherless, I don't believe it's required to 'hate' on the other side to be proud of your own way of doing things. This obviously goes both ways, as many so-called competitive players freely hate on the casual community without having a single clue about what it really represents for NW. Worth noting not many are as mature as you to discuss it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 04:42:43 pm by Tardet »
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline El_Presidente

• Colonel
  • David
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2019, 04:50:10 pm »
Ah that was more a jibe at those kinds of people as a whole. Imo those traits definitely manifest themselves more in the competitive community than casual, that's the point I was trying to get across.

I am by no means saying that the competitive scene is outright killing the game, and I didnt mean it to come across that way if I did! It all comes down to the people, and as I said I believe they are more prevelant in the competitive community.

There are of course plenty of incompetent 'casuals' I don't like, though they are typically middle ground comp/casual regiments. I wouldn't name them here and why I don't of course, would only cause more drama  :-\

Hardline casuals like the 1stEB, and 65thFLB are regiments I like. Similar to our own.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2019, 04:55:22 pm »
That's fair enough. In that case, hoping to see you if I attend a casual event some days and best of luck to continue running your regiment and making it a peaceful and friendly environment.

Offline El_Presidente

• Colonel
  • David
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2019, 05:00:30 pm »
Love you too xx :-*

Was interesting hearing your, Kincaid's and Gi's opinion on the matter.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2019, 05:12:21 pm »
Likewise. Always happy for a nice and mature conversation.  :D

Offline Wolffe

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Bydand!
    • View Profile
    • 92nd Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: 92nd | Col | John Gordon
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2019, 05:19:24 pm »
so civilised you would almost forget it was FSE, it was an interesting read

Offline Ambiguous

• Lieutenant General
  • Lieutenant of the 92nd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_Ambiguous
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2019, 05:20:27 pm »
FSE is a nice place. No clue what you’re talking about.  ::)

Offline Wolffe

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Bydand!
    • View Profile
    • 92nd Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: 92nd | Col | John Gordon
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2019, 05:23:35 pm »
FSE is a nice place. No clue what you’re talking about.  ::)
hmmm maybe youre right, who needs his sanity anyway.

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2019, 07:58:39 pm »
On the other side of the spectrum, many of the players who try out competitive NW stay active because they enjoy it. Yes, some of them are driven by the eager to prove themselves on a online video-game and may or may not turn into complete cunt in order to reach such a position.

That is why I feel claiming that the competitive community is what's killing the game sounds really wrong. I would argue it contributes to keeping it alive, the same way the many but mostly anonymous casual regiments do. However, I don't have your experience of the game so it's probably why I don't see things the same way as you do.
You nailed the description of yourself in that first paragraph. Even though not in the in-game mechanics competitive scene necessarily.

I agree with you that competitive helps the game alive, whatever the competitive community is like it still provides people to the game. For me casual NW is just boring (as is competitive lul),  but I understand people still play it just to relax and enjoy because they like Napoleonic era. I attended a few of 19th events and I can say from what I saw it was a Walden Two like frictionless community. Unlike in competitive community where a lot of people are driven by human prime motivation will to dominte others. Which leads to casual regiments being much less toxic but for some boring and  without a meaning. But even a 'toxic' community full of powerhungy people like yourself is a community that contributes to liveliness of the game. I've seen more games die because they get boring than because of drama or toxicity.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:00:17 pm by McPero »

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2019, 08:23:16 pm »
Believe it or not McPero, I can live with the idea of someone not liking me. Obviously, it helps when it's someone who is far from being uncritical himself.

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2019, 08:25:58 pm »
*of himself?

Offline Kieran

• Sergeant Major
  • Successfully couped the 19th off Pres!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2019, 10:57:16 pm »
How much for field marshal?