Author Topic: Developer Blog 2 - Regiment/Clan System  (Read 44410 times)

Offline Peter

• Sergeant
  • Otherwise known as: Biteme, Retep and Mr awesome
    • View Profile
    • Casual Scribbling
  • Nick: Biteme
  • Side: Union
Developer Blog 2 - Regiment/Clan System
« on: November 25, 2012, 02:46:56 pm »
Developer Blog 2 - Regiment/Clan System

So last week we talked about our plans for supporting huge numbers of players, today we have gone for something a little bit different!
A lot of people have been asking us about how we plan on supporting community made clans and regiments in-game. We have already had a lot of thought on this as our community is very important to us, especially as Battle Cry of Freedom is a competitive multiplayer game.

So our planned system will work something like this:
You can freely create clans for our game, these groups are called “Regiments”. These Regiments will be groups of players much like you see in our previous title Napoleonic Wars, however we aim to support these groups as much as possible in-game, and so please read on to get a picture of what we are planning.

Clan/Regiment page
The clan/regiment page is like an advanced version of a steam group. Clans can post news and announce events there. It is possible to easily browse the clan’s players, to take a look at their ranks and stats (including activity). The regiment page could also be used to communicate with each other. It has a small built in chat which saves the last messages, so players can view messages which were written a few days or weeks ago. This can possibly be expanded upon when we receive the appropriate feedback and support.

Ranks
The Regiment page also has a built-in ranking system. Ranks are displayed in-game and in the player overview of the clan. Administrators and founders of the clan can promote or demote players in the clan at will. However, promoting someone to an officer is only possible by the founder, because officers are not not necessarily administrators. Newly recruited players will automatically get the “recruit” rank assigned.

Joining a clan
Players can join and leave a clan as they wish. When joining a clan they have to fill out an application the founder will have created when creating the Regiment. The application is then automatically sent to the Regiment founder, the administrators and moderators. Admins, founders or moderators then just have to accept or deny the application.

Ingame tag system
When joining the game as a member of a Regiment, the game will represent the regiments tags + the current rank tags. For example: Clan tag: 882nd; Rank: Private; Name: Hans
Ingame name: 882nd Pvt. Hans

Medals
Every player, no matter if he is in a Regiment or not can receive medals for playing.
There will be special medals for special acts. For example, you could get a medal for defending a position against a majority of enemies or for playing the game for a certain time. When getting killed by an enemy, you will be able to see his rank, name, regiment, and his medals. Medals are faction specific, players are not able to get Southern medals when playing the Union and vice versa.

Competitive Play
We very much plan to support competitive Regiment play. We are not completely sure how it is best supported, but for now we plan to have an overall Regiment ranking list, where all regiments are shown with their overall score and victories. Regiment competitions will be organised by Regiments where they will choose a specific engagement (or part of an engagement depending on play count) and fight it out. The winner will receive a point/s which will add on to their total ranking.

We will see you next week!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:05:03 pm by Refleax »
Cogito Ergo Sum

Offline Refleax

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: Refleax
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 2 - Regimental/Clan system
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 02:49:23 pm »
Enjoy!
May good health be yours.

Offline PrideofNi

• Major General
  • This is just a game, respect other people!
    • View Profile
    • K-KA HQ
  • Nick: PrideofNi
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Developer Blog 2 - Regimental/Clan system
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 02:53:53 pm »
Nom Nom!

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Re: Developer Blog 2 - Regiment/Clan System
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 02:56:21 pm »
This looks so nice, can regiments add there own ranks or are they preset and would wonder how unique regiments who use completely different ranks would work? Looks amazing still waiting to get enough money to donate though. Al;so steam group is a great idea saw the little announcement pop up while I was in N&S.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 02:59:05 pm by Matthew »
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Treble

• Sergeant Major
  • top kek melee player
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Treble
Re: Developer Blog 2 - Regiment/Clan System.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 02:59:47 pm »
Should add like a Union or Confederate Jacket and stick our medals on.. here let me show you.

http://29th.org/personnel/file/

That would be epic :D

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
Re: Developer Blog 2 - Regiment/Clan System
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 03:02:49 pm »
This looks so nice, can regiments add there own ranks or are they preset and would wonder how unique regiments who use completely different ranks would work? Looks amazing still waiting to get enough money to donate though. Al;so steam group is a great idea saw the little announcement pop up while I was in N&S.

Well, we want that every regiment/clan has the same ranks. That way we can assure that they are historically accurate and that everyone knows what rank is what. It is sometimes a little bit confusing if you have a 85th_Pvt_Hans and a 76th_Ojajajsjsjs_Hans. They might still mean the same, but because you do not know what it means, it is difficult to get whether hes an officer or an recruit.

Offline Peter

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Casual Scribbling
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 03:09:21 pm »
Also it fairly ruins immersion and ambience if you see a whole bunch of guys with a 101_Spacetrooper rank tag.
Cogito Ergo Sum

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:11:59 pm »
Lovely!

Offline majorbruno

• Sergeant Major
  • I do not believe in security password
    • View Profile
    • Battle Cry of Freedom
  • Nick: Major
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 03:25:03 pm »
this system is very good

but because Regiment?

would not be better to call of clan

else the names of the regiments(clan) are very large

example: The Royal Recruits » 8 years in Linebattles & Community! Recruiting] [EU/NA]
                4e Régiment de Grenadiers-à-Pied de la Garde Imperiale - [ EU ] [ Recruiting ]

because not shorten, these names

putting something  fun

example names of regiment(clan)

No Mercy
Void
Secret

something like that
"My greatness does not consist in not ever having fallen, but in getting up forever."

Regras/Normas

Offline Matim

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 14pk_Matim
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 03:28:14 pm »
Also it fairly ruins immersion and ambience if you see a whole bunch of guys with a 101_Spacetrooper rank tag.

On the other side, regiments that are not English-based will have to play with ranks that are not historical accurate for their nation. I think it will be quite strange to look at french army with english ranks.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:55:30 pm by Peter »

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 03:32:00 pm »
I really hope you get medals through Steam :D (So I can have something to look forward to)
The first modder for NW.

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 03:55:34 pm »

On the other side, regiments that are not English-based will have to play with ranks that are not historical accurate for their nation. I think it will be quite strange to look at french army with english ranks.

This is based in the Civil War you will be using Civil war ranks.
Private
Corporal
Sergeant
First Sergeant
Quartermaster Sergeant
Sergeant Major
Etc
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Peter

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Casual Scribbling
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 03:55:58 pm »

Then again I wasn't aware that France had an army in the American Civil war :p
There are regiments composed of Europeans that fought in this war, but we have decided that we are going for realism and historical accuracy, and so regiment structure will be in English.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:06:57 pm by Peter »
Cogito Ergo Sum

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 04:04:35 pm »
So you're going to force people to use a specific set of tags and ranks, simply for the sake of historical accuracy?

As an extreme advocate of historical accuracy, I have to say that this is not the route I'd have taken it, but rather to encourage such things when possible, rather than forcing them upon the community.

Offline Peter

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • Casual Scribbling
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 04:10:46 pm »
So you're going to force people to use a specific set of tags and ranks, simply for the sake of historical accuracy?

As an extreme advocate of historical accuracy, I have to say that this is not the route I'd have taken it, but rather to encourage such things when possible, rather than forcing them upon the community.

Regiment names are not going to be forced, but the ranks quite possibly are. This is not 100% due to historical accuracy.
The discussion (there was one, and it was lengthy) was centred around the benefits of giving freedom of choice over the benefits of for instance having a global rank structure. This means that everyone can easily see and recognise what a rank means, and we can use this system coupled with our medals and clan ranking to basically put another layer on the individual player. As in, instead of getting to call his private rank spacetrooperz.. He can instead be shown to be a Private of the 103rd (Fighting Dogs) and we can also show their clan rank, with his rewards, his medals etc.
Cogito Ergo Sum