Author Topic: Writing a book  (Read 13081 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
Writing a book
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:14:38 am »
So I've started writing a book set in the Napoleonic Era but there are a few things I need help with. Basically I was wondering if anybody could point me to a book and/or website that would tell me everything I need to know about soldier life as far as things like training, barracks life, etc. so that I can make my book more accurate and believable. Also if anybody could help me figure out what exactly a French infantry uniform would have looked like in the year 1809, particularly that of a lieutenant and of a captain. This seemed like the most appropriate board for this thread so I apologize if it's in the wrong board. Thanks in advance everybody!

Now that I've got Duuring's help, feel free to share your current projects or short stories (or long ones  :P) about the Napoleonic Wars that you've written or are planning to write.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:02:23 pm by KillerMongoose »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
Re: Writing a book
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:33:49 am »
I think, with my knowledge and experience as a re-enactor, I can help you with this  ;D

I'm actually writing a small story myself on a horse chasseur. Well, I'm trying to, but I'm too impatient really. Only managed to write the opening scene.

I believe I still have you on steam. Talk to me there  :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:37:18 am by Duuring »

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 01:51:36 pm »
Thank you very much duuring! I think I should turn this thread into a thread for people to talk about any Napoleonic stories or books they're writing or share short stories they've written before
 Thoughts?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:02:59 pm »
sounds good.

Get online on steam, ya napoleonic skyrim lovah!

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 03:12:50 pm »
I will when I'm home :P hahah, I'm at school right now bollocking around in my programming class lol.

I might as well share my current idea. Well, my story is the life story of Francois-Chretien Vandensande, it's a true story with minor romantic details that I inserted for the sake of it being a story. The book will include his time as an officer in the French military. Starting when he was a lieutenant in the 112ème Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne and working his way up to chef de bataillon and tells of his experiences in that time, including dueling cocky hussars, flirting with the Italian women, fighting off grenzer ambushes, and the loss of his best friend at the Battle of Raab. And the story will go on with an older Vandensande, dark and depressed, becoming the Lieutenant-Colonel of the Bataljon Infanterie Van Linie Nr. 7 and finding a new sense of purpose and his experience at Quatre Bras and Waterloo.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 03:19:56 pm »
Began a historical novel based on the lead-up to Hastings (and culminating in the battle itself) a few years ago. Unfortunately I never touched it again after the first 3 and a half chapters.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 03:29:07 pm »
I think I got about a page on my horse chasseur. Just him waking up on a marching day. I want it to be more like a memoria-style story then a real plot. Cos war isn't all existing and fun running around. Unlike what happens in the Sharpe books  ::)

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 03:31:34 pm »
I'm thinking of going back to my novel in honesty. Uni life is so damn boring, and god knows I could use the money.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 03:32:12 pm »
Then do it!  ;D

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 02:02:27 pm »
I Actually wrote a 12 page short story based on the experiences of a member of the 102nd regiment of foot (The Rum Corps) during the uprising in Parramatta in 1804, for my English lesson, It took a while but once the start was done it flowed really well, Got a 18/20 in it :)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »
I Actually wrote a 12 page short story based on the experiences of a member of the 102nd regiment of foot (The Rum Corps) during the uprising in Parramatta in 1804, for my English lesson, It took a while but once the start was done it flowed really well, Got a 18/20 in it :)

Niiiiice!

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 04:08:07 pm »
I'm trying to write an alternate history set in a napoleonic wars where women are accepted into the army.
It's a goofy concept, but it's interesting to think about what the effects of such would be.

Centred around my hussar character, but due to my usual problems with motivation it's not very far along.

For Mongoose's original question though, you might want to look up Rifleman Harris' memoirs, since they're the only ones from the perspective of an enlisted man.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:31:40 am by Ililsa »
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 04:14:14 pm »
I have about 150 pages of a novel collecting dust, because I stopped writing about a year ago when I realized the female lead has nothing to do but be a woman in proximity to the hero, and that's insufficient. But I've written myself into a corner.

Offline Thomas

• Private
  • Native American and American Colony Historian
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Captain of the 74th Highlanders
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 04:27:58 am »
I may start a novel on the American Revolution. It's a war and time period that I have fallen in love with. I think I will try to blend in  a Native American character within the war, bringing tomahawks  to those fancy red uniforms.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 08:06:20 am »
I think I wrote shit while on an Airplane a while ago to relieve boredom.