Author Topic: Skirmisher pairs  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
Skirmisher pairs
« on: May 13, 2013, 04:07:37 pm »
What do you guys think of the idea of skirmisher pairs? Do any of you use the idea yourself when skirmishing? Do you think there are advantages and disadvantages? Personally, I have never tried it, but I think having two man teams might be effective, as these men can concentrate on targets together, help guide each others shots, and can protect each other when charged.

Discuss.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Skirmisher pairs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:15:01 pm »
Riddlez is finding this a strong idea, it goes against the custom.

On the matter: Riddlez has always noted that much of a regiment's kills are wasted, for many linemen, and skirmishers, fire at the same target. This amount, could be getting much less, for the two can communicate with eachother with whom they would fire upon.

What, however, might be a problem with that, is communication. If a regimental leader doesn't care much with historical accuracy, he might  make fireteams, all in a seperate channel on teamspeak. Setting up whisperlists, and using modern day walkie ways of communication, things may very well ge more organised.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline 5arge

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:47:29 pm »
I am pretty sure that British green jackets worked in pairs when skirmishing. I thought your light infantry drill was based on that when I commented on your exemplary skirmishing Friday.
it seems that the person on the wrong end of 5arge always seems to get the punishment.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:03:42 pm »
Working in pairs is great. If you communicate well and train enough somebody will always have a shot ready, so if you get charged by cavalry or infantry a fire and retreat tactic become much easier and effective. Additionally, teamwork is always advocated in any situation.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:29:47 pm »
I am pretty sure that British green jackets worked in pairs when skirmishing. I thought your light infantry drill was based on that when I commented on your exemplary skirmishing Friday.

Yea, I thought I remembered reading about riflemen doing that. Well, it was a sort of on the field attempt at skirmishers pairs, however I haven't set up a permanent system, or drills for the pairs yet. Thank you by the way.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 04:30:04 am »
Though the 27th has not officially implemented paired shooting in its' skirmisher tactics, it is very effective. The only reason we haven't done it is because we only do skirmishers once a week now, so we don't focus too much on rifles. Paired shooting allows you to keep an effective rain of fire on the enemy in the same way that Line Infantry may use a ripple fire, provided it is done correctly. As Sven pointed out, it gives your partner sufficient cover if a cavalry charge suddenly rides over the hill next to you, or when being charged by infantry. The important thing is not so much firing at an interval however as knowing when to fire, and making sure you always can make the perfect shot.

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
  • Always shoot the officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Angry Piper
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 12:13:56 am »
The 95th has trained to use firing by pairs, however this is difficult to use in most situations since we are expected to work as an entire unit. When defending though this is a really good tactic, when holding a hill or a forested area this is a fantastic tactic, one guy takes a shot next guy moves up and takes his half way through his partners reload. It does allow for constant fire and with the 2 communicating where they are aiming and such the shots get very accurate

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 12:17:54 am »
The 95th has trained to use firing by pairs, however this is difficult to use in most situations since we are expected to work as an entire unit. When defending though this is a really good tactic, when holding a hill or a forested area this is a fantastic tactic, one guy takes a shot next guy moves up and takes his half way through his partners reload. It does allow for constant fire and with the 2 communicating where they are aiming and such the shots get very accurate
Agreed, it's just not worth trying when most skirmisher commands are general "move over here" things.