Author Topic: WebM Request  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
WebM Request
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:59:31 pm »
Can we enable embedding for HMTL5? WebM (the format I personally use, and all over Reddit and adopted by 4chan) is the new and growing alternative GIF that uses up a lot less space than GIF's do. GIF's tend to lag a page, and even led to the norm of not using GIF's in signatures and spammed. In contrast, WebM is highly optimized and reduces lag. Is there a possibility FSE can enable WebM embedding in the near future?

Something I made from Arma 3, it's less than 4mb and two minutes long with a good size and quality

AeroNinja

Re: WebM Request
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 10:00:05 pm »
Would be a good idea in my opinion. :D

Offline Aiello

• Donator
  • I like what I'm reading.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 10:01:23 pm »
+1 to this, posted some WebMs I made here a couple months ago. Would be top if it can be embedded.

Offline Amit_

• Captain
  • 22nd "Cheshire" Regiment
    • View Profile
    • Reddit Rescue Force
  • Nick: [22nd]Maj_Amit
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 10:20:42 pm »
I strongly concur with this request. WebM is now the format that denizens of internet communities come to expect when viewing animated images and video. Allowing for the embedding of remotely hosted WebM, MP4, and Gifv files will help to bring this forum into the future.

Imagine the power of embedding NW HTML5 video, such as the following, into forum posts: http://webmup.com/IcVnT/vid.webm

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:45:31 pm by Amit_ »
Who the fug am I? Read up here.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 12:16:47 am »
According to the SMF forums, there is no way of embedding WebM files without recoding (according to the SMF manager). As a not particularly technical individual, I make the assumption that mods/addons would therefore be unable to support the files (there aren't any mods regarding them on the SMF forums, so I assume this to be the case).

I suppose it's possible that it could be enabled in updates to SMF itself, but I have no idea if it's on their list of things to do in future updates.

Hopefully that provides at least a little useful information for people.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 11:43:07 pm »
That's a shame, I was wondering if the same thing was possible with youtube mp3? I browse on a few other forums and there is this code
Code
[ymp3]*insert youtube link*[/ymp3]
where it just shows the bottom play/pause bar and only allows the audio from the video, I know we have a similar thing with the soundcloud but I would find it somewhat more useful with youtube.

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:49:47 pm »
It would be nice if twitch was implemented too, as a matter of fact Taleworld's forum has it and they're doing fine
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 11:54:29 pm »
And while you're at it, throw in the feature of bigger avatars if you are gonna take the gif avys away!  :'(

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳