Author Topic: The Napoleonic Wars Champions League [Season 2]  (Read 45503 times)

Offline Risk_

• Major General
  • chris knight
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Napoleonic Wars Champions League [Season 2]
« Reply #750 on: February 14, 2022, 01:30:36 am »
Tbh I think matchmaking contributed more to the improvement. I’ve heard from a few L2 players that they didn’t like it or gain anything, and that it is more helpful for them to be able to play with the L1 players and learn from them. Not sure what the majority think though

Sure maybe they want to play against L1 players, but if it's a draft league most L2 quality players (no offense) will not be given that opportunity. Captains are only going to play starters (aka their best players, not subs/L2 players) and we have seen that time and time again. This league served as a chance for all players to play more and compete compared to previous draft leagues. I highly doubt they would be happier to be just sitting on the bench as usual and rotate in and out of scrims every so often, just to play against L1 players. The L2 team also served under the L1 team, so there is opportunity for the L1 captain and other starters to assist or help out their subsequent L2 team; and they can learn that way from L1 players imo. And I think some captains/players from L1 have already been doing this since the start.

I personally feel that many have improved in league 2 over mm given the increased playing time and format. MM can be good in some aspects but I think draft leagues are much better for learning team play.

Just has more dudes actually caring about competitive. League 2 in the grand scheme of things means absolutely nothing. It’s just about getting other people involved. There’s been players who haven’t ever gotten playing time in any draft league that are actually getting to participate, which is good for player retention. Actually having played in league 2 it is fun to work with people I haven’t before and played against teams that you’d normally never see.

Yeah, exactly.

Tbh I think matchmaking contributed more to the improvement. I’ve heard from a few L2 players that they didn’t like it or gain anything, and that it is more helpful for them to be able to play with the L1 players and learn from them. Not sure what the majority think though
I mean frankly the league 2 product sucked in terms of groupfighting - but unlike previous seasons players actually got to play in competitive groupfights that weren’t meaningless MM. maybe the MM was most beneficial for skill but I think league 2 was huge for understanding structure and playmaking

damn i was literally gonna say that u stole the post right out from under me

but the biggest gripe was the whole ft10 why not just make it ft 15

Yeah, I have heard this one the most along with having a format to be able to swap players between L1 and L2. These are changes that we can definitely adjust to next time and fix to make it more enjoyable; or as I said previously, this is all some good ground work imo. So, even if it isn’t me to do it again, the next host(s) can adjust and hopefully make it better with these suggestions.
The main reason for the ft10 was so L2 players wouldn't get burnt out. In my experience even L1 players get tired after bo30, bo3 maps. I didn't want to turn off any players from competitive because matches would/might last longer. I thought the length of the matches and possible burn out might turn them off from competing in another league again, which is something I think we all want to avoid.

I thought L2 was a lot better. Having only played two leagues (this one included), I had a lot more fun being able to play with players comparable to my skill level, who I was able to build an understanding with, who wouldn't rage at not being a god at the game. Likewise, it was nice being able to fight against people who aren't gods at the game either. While part of improving is fighting players that are better than you, I don't think Death, Ben, and I would have learned much playing against Cwater, Anthony, and Oatmeal.

MM is also a good way to improve, but it's also a pretty selfish environment on a teamplay level, and it's also toxic as fuck, which (at least my) draft team was anything but.

Glad you enjoyed it. I feel the purpose from what we wanted L2 to be this time is what you expressed, so thank you!

Offline Gunmen

• Second Lieutenant
  • I Be That Man On The Moon
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
« Reply #751 on: February 14, 2022, 02:11:37 am »
I thought it was interesting to see who would carry in those circumstances in L2 as well as giving them different roles on a team rather then oh just s-key, block and don't die role many would fill if they subbed in.
+1

Offline No0B

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Doctor Noob/2LBI_CSgt_Noob
« Reply #752 on: February 14, 2022, 03:14:06 am »
I thought it was interesting to see who would carry in those circumstances in L2 as well as giving them different roles on a team rather then oh just s-key, block and don't die role many would fill if they subbed in.
+1
turns out I still skey

Offline Wastee

• Colonel
  • Nr8[LG]Kpt_Wastee
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Steam: [LG] Wastee
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #753 on: February 14, 2022, 04:28:50 am »
I don't think league 2 is a bad thing, definitely better than having 5 subs that don't play at all. It was expressed to me that they'd prefer having more teams so that the skill is more spread out and move many L2 players into starting positions. We certainly have the player base to do more than 6 or 7 teams rn just need captains.

L2 is better than not playing at all, but playing with everyone else is then best - my tldr from what I took in.

"I may never make a list, and I may never make the hall of fame, but by God, I made the competitive mailing list" - Undisclosed Gamer

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #754 on: February 14, 2022, 05:50:56 am »
+1
I’m seeing people like Truth make plays and do things stylistically that he wouldn’t even have thought of doing in 2021 MM. sure his technical skill improved but it’s his understanding and presence that’s taken leaps and that’s exactly what I wanted to see 

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline antslimey

• First Lieutenant
  • Co founder and leader of the AEF and Col of 55th!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [AEF]Col_Anthony 55th_Col_Anthony
  • Side: Union
« Reply #755 on: February 14, 2022, 09:12:44 pm »
I feel that both MM and League Two helped people develop. I see MM as a way to improve mechanics, play against more experienced players in a more casual environment on more even grounds, and the league 2 matches/scrims as a way to try to implement some stuff they learned playing against those players on MM while learning how to play as a team and work together at a higher level.

I understand that the League Two matches may lack the weight of a league 1 match and that some people may feel they mean nothing but its a match to play in rather then sitting in spec and playing in a scrim maybe once or twice a week when a starter does not show up.

In my opinion I feel that many of those League Two players have improved a lot and every Draft league should have something like this.

On another note, We had in my opinion a super competitive  League 1 player wise, which I really enjoyed.

Offline Cytiuz

• Captain
  • 25y till I die
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 14, 2022, 10:22:05 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed this league, as things are coming to wrap up.  I have had the pleasure to run several teams, and I have to say running this league two team was one of the most stable group of guys I have had the pleasure of mentoring, and captaining. Every one of these guys would come out, and gave me there 100% effort, and commitment. I cant wait to see how they all progress and formulate in the draft leagues to come. In times that I wasn't able to be on they found a way to keep the ball rolling, and with or without me they would have done an outstanding job.

On a more personal note, I have had some commitment issues in the past, as well as some unfortunate events keeping me out. I haven't been enjoying NW as much as I have used to, and whilst I have tried to keep up with everything, I have real out of tune with the community this past year. Starting with Vindica mid season last year, in comparison what really made me appreciate my experience with this team is the lack of drama, and maturity these guys took forth. I come across as a conflicted character for some people, so it comes with concern when playing alongside me for some. Wastee could have chosen anyone to run his l2 team as the job in itself only requires time. I want to say thanks directly to Wastee for staying in tune with his whole team, and Truth for being a committed co-captain, taking initiative when necessary, and making sure everything ran smoothly. Thank you all for a wonderful season, and I cant wait to see how the groupfighting community progresses, as this season has been full of life.

Offline matlord

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 14, 2022, 11:45:56 pm »

Sure maybe they want to play against L1 players, but if it's a draft league most L2 quality players (no offense) will not be given that opportunity. Captains are only going to play starters (aka their best players, not subs/L2 players) and we have seen that time and time again. This league served as a chance for all players to play more and compete compared to previous draft leagues. I highly doubt they would be happier to be just sitting on the bench as usual and rotate in and out of scrims every so often, just to play against L1 players.

I only signed up for this league because I knew this was the only way I would ever get to experience playing time in a draft league, even if it was league 2 I enjoyed it and thought there was weight to the matches. Also, I think matchmaking is a far worse form of practice than playing in league 2 matches were, but I have not played a single game of matchmaking in over year so IDK. To me it really only warmed up mechanics, but I felt I learned way more from actually playing in a semi-serious team format. Thanks for giving me a chance to actually play the game Risk! :P

Offline Svenypoo

• First Lieutenant
  • I like to disappear for extended periods of time
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Svenypoo
« Reply #758 on: February 15, 2022, 01:21:04 am »
If ur name doesnt start with s and end with an o, then ur a noob imo.
I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut, baby.

Offline Wastee

• Colonel
  • Nr8[LG]Kpt_Wastee
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Steam: [LG] Wastee
« Reply #759 on: February 15, 2022, 01:25:03 am »

Sure maybe they want to play against L1 players, but if it's a draft league most L2 quality players (no offense) will not be given that opportunity. Captains are only going to play starters (aka their best players, not subs/L2 players) and we have seen that time and time again. This league served as a chance for all players to play more and compete compared to previous draft leagues. I highly doubt they would be happier to be just sitting on the bench as usual and rotate in and out of scrims every so often, just to play against L1 players.

I only signed up for this league because I knew this was the only way I would ever get to experience playing time in a draft league, even if it was league 2 I enjoyed it and thought there was weight to the matches. Also, I think matchmaking is a far worse form of practice than playing in league 2 matches were, but I have not played a single game of matchmaking in over year so IDK. To me it really only warmed up mechanics, but I felt I learned way more from actually playing in a semi-serious team format. Thanks for giving me a chance to actually play the game Risk! :P
good well thought out opinion +1 rep

"I may never make a list, and I may never make the hall of fame, but by God, I made the competitive mailing list" - Undisclosed Gamer

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #760 on: February 15, 2022, 01:35:35 am »
If ur name doesnt start with s and end with an o, then ur a noob imo.
shinto happy as fuck rn

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline HuntehPetros

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 25y Hunteh/55th Hunteh
« Reply #761 on: February 15, 2022, 02:11:21 am »
League: 2
Teams: Babyrage and Vindica
Date: Monday 14th at 9:00 est
Referee: any

Offline Risk_

• Major General
  • chris knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 15, 2022, 03:35:28 am »

Thanks! Glad you liked it  :)

Offline IcePimpDaddy

• Goofiest Forum Member
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CockJohnson
« Reply #763 on: February 15, 2022, 04:01:30 am »
gg vindica definitely the most intense match I played in was alot of fun, gg yall better go beat hatecrimers!
CoC > any other team

Offline Brian Chiu

• Second Lieutenant
  • DUB BABY DUB
    • View Profile
  • Nick: hairdresser69
  • Side: Union
« Reply #764 on: February 15, 2022, 04:08:31 am »
Spoiler
[close]
Map 1