Author Topic: Icelandic Servers For NAs and EUs  (Read 5327 times)

Offline antslimey

• First Lieutenant
  • Co founder and leader of the AEF and Col of 55th!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [AEF]Col_Anthony 55th_Col_Anthony
  • Side: Union
Icelandic Servers For NAs and EUs
« on: November 30, 2021, 09:17:00 pm »
Greetings
NA and EU both have sizeable communities and a lot of the top competitive NAs are from the east coast. I believe  Icelandic servers would enable both communities to actually be competitive with each other. For NAs some like yoloswag could get 50ping while others like myself could range from 60-80ping. EUs would likely get 25-50 in central and western europe. I believe both parties would benfit a lot.
Myself 80ping and less is actually really playable and I think would enable a great influx in active competitive players in Europe as well as being able to do GFs between top NAs and EUs.

So far several people have come together to help get this sorted. Biggest thing right now is funding and technical help with turning a VPS into a live server that players can connect too. Once things get going I think we will have server donations open and if you want help with setting up the server message me on steam or reply on forums.

Tell me your thoughts on Icelandic server I think it would be great fun.

If you have any website you recommend for a VPS let me know right now I have two.
https://flokinet.is/vps-server.php
https://www.orangewebsite.com/vps.php

It looks like by Saturday we may have the server setup. Atm Scottish Unicorn is working hard to get it done and I plan on paying for the first month to see if everyone takes a likely to it.

Ping Times
As Iceland is geographically situated in the mid-atlantic, it has shorter ping times to locations in Europe than North America. Here are a few examples of nominal ping times from Iceland:

Amsterdam: 17.8ms

Budapest: 26.0ms

Glasgow: 13.0ms

London: 18.9ms

New York: 40.6ms

Halifax: 33.7ms
(sources https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Iceland)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:32:32 pm by antslimey »

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
Re: Icelandic Servers For NAs and EUs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 09:38:15 pm »
Why do we need to move to different servers just to save the dead NA scene?

Wouldn't be bad for things like NWWC though, if there is another one.

EDIT: Also I have metal in a DC there so costs wouldn't be that high.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:40:22 pm by John Price »
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline antslimey

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 09:41:19 pm »
Why do we need to move to different servers just to save the dead NA scene?

Wouldn't be bad for things like NWWC though, if there is another one.
Not suggesting move every single thing to icelandic servers. But there gonna be occasions where people will be able to have a much more fair competition with 60-80 ping than with 90-120 ping.

Offline Vegi.

• Where is my stack?!
  • General
  • Divide and Conquer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King of Stack
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 09:42:04 pm »
No EU cares about NA.
Stop looking at my posts Fietta #RentFree

The Master of stack, the voice of racism.

BlitzkriegMBNW

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 09:42:20 pm »
Medium speed tho :)

Offline Ry@n

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18th_Col
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nick:Nick:Nick:Nick:
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 09:43:56 pm »
as much as i want to agree, when playing with a large amount of high ping players fastest is better

Also by EUs u are talking about England, France, Netherlands/belgium and MAYBE Germnay... anything east of that will have 100 ping to iceland
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 09:45:44 pm by Ry@n »

Offline antslimey

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 09:48:27 pm »
as much as i want to agree, when playing with a large amount of high ping players fastest is better

Also by EUs u are talking about England, France, Netherlands/belgium and MAYBE Germnay... anything east of that will have 100 ping to iceland
Yes and for NAs I am mainly talking about those living on Eastcoast as well. If your in middle of the US your looking at about 100 plus ping still. But much better nonetheless.

Offline MarxeiL

• Lieutenant General
  • Cvet nastroenija - serij, samij skuchnij
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 13e | CCCP
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 09:52:36 pm »
Spoiler
[close]
No, thanks
| 1x 10v10 Winner | 2x 9v9 Winner | 2x 8v8 Winner | 1x 7v7 Winner | 1x 6v6 Winner | 2x 5v5 Winner | 1x 4v4 Winner | 1x 3v3 Winner |
| 1x TDT Winner | 1x NWL (2nd L) Winner | 1x NWL (1st L) Winner | 1x RGT Winner | 2x RGL Winner |
| 1x TDT Runner-up | 1x 8v8 Runner-up | 1x 7v7 Runner-up | 1x NWFL Runner-up | 1x EIC Runner-up | 1x 2v2 Runner-up |

BlitzkriegMBNW

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 09:54:20 pm »

fastest speed breaks game mechanics, native realised this and so did NW years ago, dunno why people still think using fastest is better

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 15th_YR_Gren_trot888
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 09:54:23 pm »
I'm surprised east coast gets 45ms considering Iceland isn't at all situated in a good geographical location for servers, it's also very much NOT mid-atlantic

Offline antslimey

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 09:56:49 pm »
I'm surprised east coast gets 45ms considering Iceland isn't at all situated in a good geographical location for servers, it's also very much NOT mid-atlantic
Yes 45ping thou is only gonna be NYC with great internet. The rest will be 60+ I think. And for geography its not mid atlantic but its way better than any other places ive found so far.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 09:59:09 pm »

fastest speed breaks game mechanics, native realised this and so did NW years ago, dunno why people still think using fastest is better
The NA's don't really remember but when we were having this conversation back in 2012-2014 it was always settled on using fastest because NA server hosts were extremely unreliable so fastest was necessary. Back then all you had were hosts like Bluefang which although they got better was an absolute pain in the ass for the 7NA servers etc.

Iceland is an extremely popular server hosting location at the moment. After the banking crash the tech and networking industry has boomed. Geographical location isn't the full picture.

Yes 45ping thou is only gonna be NYC with great internet. The rest will be 60+ I think. And for geography its not mid atlantic but its way better than any other places ive found so far.
Then why are we having this conversation? Feels like its only going to be good for you and your friends but shit for everyone else?
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 15th_YR_Gren_trot888
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 09:59:14 pm »

Servers at Ilha do pico when?

Offline antslimey

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 10:04:09 pm »

The NA's don't really remember but when we were having this conversation back in 2012-2014 it was always settled on using fastest because NA server hosts were extremely unreliable so fastest was necessary. Back then all you had were hosts like Bluefang which although they got better was an absolute pain in the ass for the 7NA servers etc.

Iceland is an extremely popular server hosting location at the moment. After the banking crash the tech and networking industry has boomed. Geographical location isn't the full picture.

Then why are we having this conversation? Feels like its only going to be good for you and your friends but shit for everyone else?
A lot of the Top NA players are either middle or east coast. So it benefits the large part of the community although leaving out CHADS like Glenn who is from CA or Hunteh from Vancover. Nonetheless though A lot of the top Eu players are English or French so we still get to see a gf vs top EU players with great ping and top NA players with good ping. So for a NWWC It would be good for the majority Id say.

Offline Ry@n

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18th_Col
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nick:Nick:Nick:Nick:
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 10:07:46 pm »
i mean im all for the server but dont expect it to be used on a regular basis or you'll just be dissapointed