Author Topic: The SuperLeague?? Football is dead?  (Read 6025 times)

Offline Phil The Thril

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The SuperLeague?? Football is dead?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 07:55:30 am »
I think it takes away too much from the rest of the game to have this happen.
I keep seeing this point repeated and circlejerked over but what exactly is being taken away from the game if this league forms?
Nice Guy. Tries Hard. Loves The Game.

Offline [2ndHess] lukasoh

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 08:32:48 am »
I support [...] a low class Bundesliga Club.

Schalke?  ;D
Bremen  8)
Bremen it is!

I keep seeing this point repeated and circlejerked over but what exactly is being taken away from the game if this league forms?
There are different problems.
First, in a normal UCL year, the top teams dont face each other twice per year. Games like Liverpool vs Real Madrid, Juve vs Manchester United etc dont happen that often, so its a highlight. The knock out situation makes it even more interesting. The Super League takes away the possbility for Underdogs, who somehow just make it to the semifinals in the UCL. In the Superleague, there are just top teams and they face each other so often, that its just not a highlight. After one or two seasons a match like Liverpool versus Fc Barcelona would feel like Liverpool versus Burnley.

Another point is, that Superleague players wont be a allowed in their national teams. So it is a bit like the american olympia teams of some of their top sports. A Nation, England is the best example, cant take players from its strongest 6 Teams, where a lot of national players are playing. That counts for other countries too, so the skill level of the World Cup would drop to a disapointing level.

Then there is the problem with the fans. Imagine you are a Liverpool supporter your whole life. You traveled Up and Down, from Manchester to London, to see your club live in stadium every week. It is the main thing in your life. Now you cant just say " lets go to West Ham versus Liverpool on Saturday, I buy the train tickets"
You have to say " lets go to Juve versus Liverpool, but fuck, I have to go by plane and because the match starts at 8 o clock, I cant fly back the same day"
So fan culture is reduced to home support and social media likes.

Then there is the financial point of other clubs. Many of them get a lot of money from Tv Deals. The matches are shown on TV and whoever pays enough money can show them on his channel. But how much would you pay for a spanish league without Barca, Real and Atletico? How much for a premiere league, where Everton versus Leicester is a top game? They will get less money and have to change their whole financial plan for the next years. Its not 100% sure how this will work out at the end.

These were just some points that came to my mind or that I read in the last days.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:54:07 am by [2ndHess] lukasoh »

ItsAlex

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 08:46:02 am »

Offline Glenn

• Lieutenant General
  • 84th [NA] / 12th [EU]
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Glenn
  • Side: Union
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2021, 09:36:40 am »
can’t wait for people to say “Messi played in a tinpot cup called the Champions league that’s why he’s not the goat” in 50 years
click here to join the 84th

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
  • Actual 1v1-10v10 Champion.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 5x NWWC Champ Mbozz/Gontanker/Nut
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 10:03:21 am »
Spoiler

Schalke?  ;D
Bremen  8)
Bremen it is!

First, in a normal UCL year, the top teams dont face each other twice per year. Games like Liverpool vs Real Madrid, Juve vs Manchester United etc dont happen that often, so its a highlight. The knock out situation makes it even more interesting. The Super League takes away the possbility for Underdogs, who somehow just make it to the semifinals in the UCL. In the Superleague, there are just top teams and they face each other so often, that its just not a highlight. After one or two seasons a match like Liverpool versus Fc Barcelona would feel like Liverpool versus Burnley.

Another point is, that Superleague players wont be a allowed in their national teams. So it is a bit like the american olympia teams of some of their top sports. A Nation, England is the best example, cant take players from its strongest 6 Teams, where a lot of national players are playing. That counts for other countries too, so the skill level of the World Cup would drop to a disapointing level.

Then there is the problem with the fans. Imagine you are a Liverpool supporter your whole life. You traveled Up and Down, from Manchester to London, to see your club live in stadium every week. It is the main thing in your life. Now you cant just say " lets go to West Ham versus Liverpool on Saturday, I buy the train tickets"
You have to say " lets go to Juve versus Liverpool, but fuck, I have to go by plane and because the match starts at 8 o clock, I cant fly back the same day"

Then there is the financial point of other clubs. Many of them get a lot of money from Tv Deals. The matches are shown on TV and whoever pays enough money can show them on his channel. But how much would you pay for a spanish league without Barca, Real and Atletico? How much for a premiere league, where Everton versus Leicester is a top game? They will get less money and have to change their whole financial plan for the next years. Its not 100% sure how this will work out at the end.

These were just some points that came to my mind or that I read in the last days.
[close]
Only the point you made about hype in the first part is relevant to the Super League to be honest. The rest is on UEFA.
I won lots of things, I came 2nd and 3rd in lots of things, I guess I did some other shit too........ I'm also an FSE legend, probably most commonly described as a cunt. If the shit I do doesn't make sense in your head, well fuck you because it makes sense in mine.

Which i did, against known and reputed player, some of them considered legend, such as, Mandarin, Ledger, Tiberias, Herishey, Hokej, Troister, Axiom, Evanovic, Stark, Eddie, Jammo, Bagins, Freddie, Python. I didn't had a good relationship with most of them, but i congratulate them for what they did, and i had pleasure facing them.

Offline Phil The Thril

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2021, 10:06:26 am »
Spoiler

Schalke?  ;D
Bremen  8)
Bremen it is!

[close]
Responding in order

1. While I agree that having two great teams face each other only occasionally as opposed to every week does add more to the occasion I also think that having a league where the greatest teams in the world play constantly isn't exactly a boring idea. However, I wholeheartedly disagree with your underdog point, sure there is some novelty in smaller clubs being matched up against huge clubs in the semifinal rounds but these matches almost always amount to nothing as in the end the large club will almost always prevail. Even if the smaller clubs do pull off an upset they just move on to get shit stomped by the next elite club. Maybe it's just my Americanized way of thinking about sports but football/soccer's lack of parity is one of the most annoying things about trying to watch any of the euro leagues because it is always the same 10-15 teams always winning their leagues and the UCL.

2. Correct me if I'm wrong because I am just talking out of my ass for this point but isn't the only reason that the players can't play in the world cup due to FIFA digging their heels in? I get them not wanting to budge on this issue as it is one of the biggest leverage points against the super league but if the super league's launch is a success I doubt it will be long before fans turn on FIFA and start demanding that they allow super league players back in especially since the super league plans to launch next summer and the WC is in the winter. Personally, I just can't see FIFA holding their ground on this issue if the super league manages to be successful.

3. Again my Americanized way of viewing sports may have tainted my view of this issue, but I really couldn't give less of a fuck about fans not being able to see their team live especially at away games. I get that England/Germany/Spain/Italy/France are all tiny countries where everything is just a short train ride away, and being able to see your team away from home on a regular basis is cool. But if not being able to see them away is actually hurting the fan culture then I question how great the culture was, to begin with.

4. Yeah I agree that having leagues that allow teams to have infinite spending power and build super teams that will eventually form a new league with each other to further increase profits and fuck over the old leagues kinda sucks. Salary caps are based.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 10:44:07 am by Goomba_ »

Offline Hawkince

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • #Hawince2018 #ImWithHawkince #🅱awkince2018
    • View Profile
  • Nick: lebornjames2007mikaljordan
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 10:31:36 am »
Spoiler

Schalke?  ;D
Bremen  8)
Bremen it is!

[close]
Responding in order

1. While I agree that having two great teams face each other only occasionally as opposed to every week does add more to the occasion I also think that having a league where the greatest teams in the world play constantly isn't exactly a boring idea. However, I wholeheartedly disagree with your underdog point, sure there is some novelty in smaller clubs being matched up against huge clubs in the semifinal rounds but these matches almost always amount to nothing as in the end the large club will almost always prevail. Even if the smaller clubs do pull off an upset they just move on to get shit stomped by the next elite club. Maybe it's just my Americanized way of thinking about sports but football/soccer's lack of parity is one of the most annoying things about trying to watch any of the euro leagues because it is always the same 10-15 teams always winning their leagues and the UCL.

2. Correct me if I'm wrong because I am just talking out of my ass for this point but isn't the only reason that the players can't play in the world cup due to FIFA digging their heels in? I get them not wanting to budge on this issue as it is one of the biggest leverage points against the super league but if the super league's launch is a success I doubt it will be long before fans turn on FIFA and start demanding that they allow super league players back in especially since the super league plans to launch next summer and the WC is in the winter. Personally, I just can't see FIFA holding their ground on this issue if the super league manages to be successful.

3. Again my Americanized way of viewing sports may have tainted my view of this issue, but I really couldn't give less of a fuck about fans not being able to see their team live especially at away games. I get that England/Germany/Spain/Italy/France are all tiny countries where everything is just a short train ride away, and being able to see your team away from home on a regular basis is cool. But if not being able to see them away is actually hurting the fan culture then I question how great the culture was, to begin with.

4. Yeah I agree that having leagues that allow teams to have infinite spending power and build super teams that will eventually form a new with each other to further increase profits and fuck over the old leagues kinda sucks. Salary caps are based.

This is not a based take

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 10:34:13 am »
Why cant the players play in the World Cup?
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 10:41:08 am »
There are talks of banning those partaking in the SuperLeague from UEFA events entirely which includes the World Cup/Euros.
I won lots of things, I came 2nd and 3rd in lots of things, I guess I did some other shit too........ I'm also an FSE legend, probably most commonly described as a cunt. If the shit I do doesn't make sense in your head, well fuck you because it makes sense in mine.

Which i did, against known and reputed player, some of them considered legend, such as, Mandarin, Ledger, Tiberias, Herishey, Hokej, Troister, Axiom, Evanovic, Stark, Eddie, Jammo, Bagins, Freddie, Python. I didn't had a good relationship with most of them, but i congratulate them for what they did, and i had pleasure facing them.

Offline Phil The Thril

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 10:44:43 am »
Spoiler

Schalke?  ;D
Bremen  8)
Bremen it is!

[close]
Responding in order

4. Yeah I agree that having leagues that allow teams to have infinite spending power and build super teams that will eventually form a new with each other to further increase profits and fuck over the old leagues kinda sucks. Salary caps are based.

This is not a based take
care to elaborate big guy?

Offline Keita

• Major General
  • deco, mezzala, regista, guiniesta, picolas nepe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2021, 10:49:05 am »
can't lie, im pro super league

Spoiler
[close]
balenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balenci

Offline MarxeiL

• Lieutenant General
  • Cvet nastroenija - serij, samij skuchnij
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 13e | CCCP
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2021, 11:28:01 am »
can't lie, im pro super league

Spoiler
[close]
| 1x 10v10 Winner | 2x 9v9 Winner | 2x 8v8 Winner | 1x 7v7 Winner | 1x 6v6 Winner | 2x 5v5 Winner | 1x 4v4 Winner | 1x 3v3 Winner |
| 1x TDT Winner | 1x NWL (2nd L) Winner | 1x NWL (1st L) Winner | 1x RGT Winner | 2x RGL Winner |
| 1x TDT Runner-up | 1x 8v8 Runner-up | 1x 7v7 Runner-up | 1x NWFL Runner-up | 1x EIC Runner-up | 1x 2v2 Runner-up |

Offline [2ndHess] lukasoh

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2021, 11:40:03 am »
For me, football in TV is cool and all, but supporting my club in the stadium with the away fans on the other side, singing and celebrating with all the other fans is the real football experience.
It doesnt matter if its not the UEFA or on the Super League, the consquences stay the same.
And I am pro salary cap.
But anyway this whole Super League is not important to me, just an interesting event to follow as its one corupt organisation versus clubs owned by Billionairs who want their own Fantasy League real life version.

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2021, 11:46:56 am »
The most annoying part of the whole scenario is all the sky sports pundits crying about greed like a bunch of hypocrites and like UEFA is any better.

Offline crazypro25.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr13_Uffz_Krazy
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2021, 11:55:33 am »
I find it quite pathetic that some clubs that don't even make it into the CL (Tottenham, Arsenal, etc.) dare to become founding members of a "super league".