Author Topic: Sword & Musket - A Bannerlord Napoleonic Mod - Update Blog Out  (Read 25855 times)

BlitzkriegMBNW

Re: Sword & Musket - A Bannerlord Napoleonic Mod - Update Blog Out
« Reply #180 on: January 06, 2023, 12:22:41 pm »
I’m not an expert. But why don’t you just import the attack animations from NW??

It saves time In development. Basically all old players want it. Is it not possible or?

Offline ArtOfKilling

• Colonel
  • 16th Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #181 on: January 06, 2023, 12:26:29 pm »
Still could be tbf; on a first uneducated look (so please take with a pinch of salt) feels like this one is the complete opposite of all the attempted NW successors that have come before it - a solid base game to work from that seems smooth or at least fairly optimised (even if the melee isn't to everyone's taste) but with none of the fancy visuals yet. At least they've made an effort to start with the elements that are actually important to the game being successful rather than distracting with amazing visual appearance and under delivering on poor gameplay. Time will tell, but our best guess is it won't be a viable replacement for at least a year? Just thoughts ofc :)
I agree, the potential is there, as you said solid base game, solid and big player count (50k on novemember if i remember correctly) and many mods coming out that will create a big multiplayer scene, lets not forget how many people where playing many mods and were part in many communities in said mods in warband. A lot of things essentially warband-NW had and made them successfull. It will need time and effort but too early to call it a Holdfast/Bcof tragedy.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 06, 2023, 12:44:02 pm »
The problem is the mod needs to be developed with everyone in mind, not just the couple of hundred that still play NW for the melee. The point was to build a baseline and then improve upon it from there. Melee was what I really wanted to put time into during this mods development but unfortunately I am not really involved anymore, so we will just have to trust them to improve on it.

This is still an alpha test there won't be regular events running on it. What events that are happening such as tonights which 18e will be going to, is a playtest on a Taleworlds server same with the native events 14e run. So the server will probably crash 4 times before the event finishes. Which is why I have been telling people to treat them as playtests rather than to expect the mod to always be like this.

Personally, I don't really know why they have released it now. This mod release has less content in it than Mount & Musket did when it released publicly end of 2010. Not to mention the custom server bullshit with Taleworlds is still going on.

Also again I explained this to them, I don't know why they are releasing the first alpha version as v1.0, that implies its a full release when its not. But they have a lot of talented people making content for the mod and a lot of people are very excited for it so it should get updates soon.

I’m not an expert. But why don’t you just import the attack animations from NW??

It saves time In development. Basically all old players want it. Is it not possible or?
No.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 12:46:14 pm by John Price »
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Vegi.

• Where is my stack?!
  • General
  • Divide and Conquer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King of Stack
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2023, 12:52:55 pm »
S&M Creative Director
Stop looking at my posts Fietta #RentFree

The Master of stack, the voice of racism.

Wursti

« Reply #184 on: January 06, 2023, 12:53:32 pm »
Tbf Bannerlord Polearm melee is just utter trash and idk how Mod Developers are supposed to fix that, they cant make a shit game a good game suddenly

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 06, 2023, 12:58:55 pm »
Tbf Bannerlord Polearm melee is just utter trash and idk how Mod Developers are supposed to fix that, they cant make a shit game a good game suddenly
Yup, whats in place for the mod, is basically just a changed version of the native one for now.

Once again, alpha tests. Either do that or go the M&M route and just have overhead slaps for the muskets  ;D Although that would be fun.

Offline Zeyden 狼

• Major
  • 2 fast 4 u ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Amaterasu/Envy/Team France
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #186 on: January 06, 2023, 01:04:51 pm »
There is a lot of potential, I just don't think the developers are getting advice from the right persons for melee, i haven't seen any veteran with a very good level of knowledge about melee giving them advice, it's a shame because it seems like it's becoming a pattern  (taleworlds who refused to listen to top native players during bannerlord alpha, BcoF, now Sword & Musket).....

Skaen

« Reply #187 on: January 06, 2023, 01:14:23 pm »
As long as it is responsive and not clumsy it's fine for me. I don't care about all these chambers, blockchambers, kickblock etc. If they would just make a responsive module and not just a sniper fest like AoN and Holdfast, I'm happy. Melee is what made NW great, but there is a lot of fun to be had on other aspects as well as it's a brand new game. But that's just me...

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 06, 2023, 02:27:11 pm »
There is a lot of potential, I just don't think the developers are getting advice from the right persons for melee, i haven't seen any veteran with a very good level of knowledge about melee giving them advice, it's a shame because it seems like it's becoming a pattern  (taleworlds who refused to listen to top native players during bannerlord alpha, BcoF, now Sword & Musket).....
What I wanted to suggest to the S&M dev team was having a pool of NW players who can run regular 6v6 Groupfights sessions and can then report back their opinions, suggestions etc. Among other scenarios.

But, it needs to be said the mod is NOT at that stage yet, when it comes time to I am sure they will include more players. Another reason why I don't agree with releasing it yet.

Honestly, the worst part about S&M is the ridiculous Discord/Forums system they have. They have a forum for no reason, have to do sign ups etc. on both. Its a bit retarded.

EDIT: One thing I want to add, participation in the Sword and Musket project is public, you could sign up for all roles in the project, whether it be technical, sound design, historical accuracy team to help with unit suggestions and uniforms etc. So there was no obstical stopping NW players from contributing, its just nobody chose to do so.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 02:29:16 pm by John Price »

Offline Zeyden 狼

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2023, 02:43:20 pm »
What I wanted to suggest to the S&M dev team was having a pool of NW players who can run regular 6v6 Groupfights sessions and can then report back their opinions, suggestions etc. Among other scenarios.

But, it needs to be said the mod is NOT at that stage yet, when it comes time to I am sure they will include more players. Another reason why I don't agree with releasing it yet.

Honestly, the worst part about S&M is the ridiculous Discord/Forums system they have. They have a forum for no reason, have to do sign ups etc. on both. Its a bit retarded.

EDIT: One thing I want to add, participation in the Sword and Musket project is public, you could sign up for all roles in the project, whether it be technical, sound design, historical accuracy team to help with unit suggestions and uniforms etc. So there was no obstical stopping NW players from contributing, its just nobody chose to do so.

I offered to help and other people in the discord suggested asking players like Python or others to help with the melee, I was told "We know everything about the technical issues, dont worry."

I want to trust them, but it's hard lol

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 15th_YR_Gren_trot888
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2023, 03:05:04 pm »
The problem is the mod needs to be developed with everyone in mind, not just the couple of hundred that still play NW for the melee.

You'd be a great bannerlord dev

Offline Futui_tuto

• Sergeant
  • S&M Senior developer & Level design lead
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 96y_Maj_Futui
« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2023, 03:30:49 pm »
Warband modding and bannerlord modding are very different things. This is much more time-consuming and technically more difficult. Even if we talk about creating locations, 1 good map is from 60 to 120 hours of time, In NW it could be done in 1-2 days. My work area btw.
Also, bannerlord is an incredibly buggy thing. If you made a mistake in the spawn in the warband, the player just spawned somewhere in the location. But if you make a mistake in the bannerlord spawn points (and there are many more places for mistakes), then the server will crash because of any little thing. You will spent hours, just to find an error, so it's slow down the progress.

Regarding the content of the modification. We have some things ready, but physically due to bannerlord's engine, we cannot add them to the game. In my opinion, it's not the best idea to wait for the sea weather, years can pass.

The custom combat system is also in development. But also, after playing a couple of hundred hours in Bannerlord, you adapt and begin to understand it, I think you will remember how you felt in NW, when you came in for the first times xd. I can’t say the same about holdfast, hitboxes work there half a meter from a person..

And, remember, this is a public alpha, not even a beta. Work goes much faster when you get a lot of feedback and also you can change and test right away.

Offline Zeyden 狼

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2023, 03:41:15 pm »
The custom combat system is also in development. But also, after playing a couple of hundred hours in Bannerlord, you adapt and begin to understand it, I think you will remember how you felt in NW, when you came in for the first times xd. I can’t say the same about holdfast, hitboxes work there half a meter from a person..

I get what you mean, but it's not a question of adapting or understand it right now, it's just really not good.

You should really take a team of people of knowledge, they will help you on timing issues and other things to implement (as far as possible because as you said some things are impossible to do sadly) do not make the same mistake as Taleworlds pls

If you were to vote for the captain of a ship, would you prefer to let everyone vote or would you leave it to the competent people who have studied in this field, you would certainly want people who know what makes a good ship captain. This analogy can be transferred to the melee of your mod  ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 03:45:40 pm by Zeyden 狼 »

Offline General Shepherd

• Retired General #AbimYok
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Former-82nd Regiment Leader S&M Creative Producer
    • View Profile
    • 82nd Regiment
  • Nick: General Shepherd
« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2023, 03:43:01 pm »
Here I am giving answers to the comments you have made.

Since the Sword & Musket community is a different community first, a new community is created, this one has separate rules according to the rules of each community. In line with these rules, a dozen blockages and procedures have been added to prevent possible regiments-name disputes, regiment-faction conflicts. This is a pre-review process designed directly for the regiment-friendly MP system.

In this regard, it is stipulated that the regiment leaders stay on the S&M Discord channel and get the regiment-leader tag on the Forum. In this process, a section called National Representatives has been created for better reputation, a liaison between the National Representatives and S&M Developer and Community Management, and people who provide the development of the community. Again, the National Representatives are determined according to language care and are elected once every 3 months by the regiment leaders.

We do a lot of things in line with the historical reference that our solid and experienced Historical Accuracy Assistant team has given us for a long time. Although this process is not very short, these are the contents we can show you for now (for now)

As for animation, we still aim to make an animation system similar to NW. We have few animator, but that's not the only thing!

TW's support for animations is extremely limited and I contact TW 24/7 and put pressure on them to resolve this issue.

Although we try to buy some things, some things are still at their initiative, but our goal is to pierce it and bring to S&M what we, all your bayonets dream of. Otherwise, I am no different from you, after all, I am an old veteran player who played with you in the past.

Example: No crouching fire. We are dealing with such nonsense. Even if we try to drill into this problem, things happen to some extent in the end. There is still process for S&M and animations are the main vein and backbone of this project..

Attack/Shooting while crouching available in Bannerlord]https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/poll-attack-shooting-while-crouching-available-in-bannerlord.453706/

If possible, I would ask you to convey a supportive message from this topic and make it more dominant.

If you have a talent for animation, knowing how to animate in Blender or Maya is not enough.
Adjusting the animation in the mod tools and things like RIG, bone structure need to be set correctly and stable. It will not forgive the slightest millimetric error. If we solve these problems (sooner or later we will, then you will just thank us for the melee animation)

Another ridiculous issue is that due to the Audio issue and TW's possible copyright scandals, they have limited content to Mod Tools. This is another point that bothers us. I m talking about .BANK stuffs.

Offline General Shepherd

• Retired General #AbimYok
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Former-82nd Regiment Leader S&M Creative Producer
    • View Profile
    • 82nd Regiment
  • Nick: General Shepherd
« Reply #194 on: January 06, 2023, 03:44:38 pm »

I get what you mean, but it's not a question of adapting or understand it right now, it's just really not good.

You should really take a team of people of knowledge, they will help you on timing issues and other things to implement (as far as possible because as you said some things are impossible to do sadly) do not make the same mistake as Taleworlds pls

The people on our team are generally knowledgeable people. And our door is open to everyone, I told you about this yesterday.