Author Topic: Sword & Musket - A Bannerlord Napoleonic Mod - Update Blog Out  (Read 25982 times)

Offline Saxon

• Captain
  • Resident Stoner
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Sword & Musket - A Bannerlord Napoleonic Mod - Q&A
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2021, 08:47:42 pm »
>looks like hold fast

>run
>always high
>GOAT

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2021, 08:49:35 pm »
Nah it doesn't.

If it took the shape of Holdfast I wouldn't be involved. Fuck that.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Skaen

Re: Sword & Musket - A Bannerlord Napoleonic Mod - Update Blog Out
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2021, 08:58:14 pm »
Gib me download plz

Offline WaterPolo

• Private
  • www.nwrp.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2021, 12:31:01 am »
beyond excited for this!!!!

Offline No0B

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Doctor Noob/2LBI_CSgt_Noob
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2021, 06:36:34 am »
Nah it doesn't.

the color scheme looks a lot like Holdfast to me thats about it though

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2021, 09:49:23 am »
Bannerlords lighting is very unityish, unsaturated blacks or over saturated colour like a cheap TV. Nothing the Devs can do other than to make everything very muted like a Laigle style - a compromise.

Be careful with your normal map intensity with this kind of lighting and they can take all detail out of your base colours and really fuck with your shiney stuff. It's probably why bannerlords most hairy cavemen in leather or fabric clothes.

Nice detail on the physically moving epaulettes I think that was a good choice.

Q: what size are your texture maps and how many are you using per material? You mentioned many factions in your video but have you planned out your execution? If you're going down the scale of NW you need to remember those maps were very small in today's standards (no higher than 1k) bannerlord I'd guess expects a 2k at the lowest and to add to that NWs materials often shared a spec or normal map. You might run into trouble by the time you've completely flushed out UK in terms of performance. A lil bit of maths with get you your worse case scenario for drawcalls and you should ask the Bannerlord Devs if that's going to work / where you need to start removing unneeded environmental objects.

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2021, 02:49:51 pm »
Bannerlords lighting is very unityish, unsaturated blacks or over saturated colour like a cheap TV. Nothing the Devs can do other than to make everything very muted like a Laigle style - a compromise.

Be careful with your normal map intensity with this kind of lighting and they can take all detail out of your base colours and really fuck with your shiney stuff. It's probably why bannerlords most hairy cavemen in leather or fabric clothes.

Nice detail on the physically moving epaulettes I think that was a good choice.
Yeah the lighting was a challenge for the team. It was hard for them to get to a place they felt satisfied with an incredibly flawed system but I think they have found an half decent compromise. The siege maps will be another interesting challenge although the first renders didn't look too bad, but those are just renders after all, will need to see the finished product in engine.

Q: what size are your texture maps and how many are you using per material? You mentioned many factions in your video but have you planned out your execution? If you're going down the scale of NW you need to remember those maps were very small in today's standards (no higher than 1k) bannerlord I'd guess expects a 2k at the lowest and to add to that NWs materials often shared a spec or normal map. You might run into trouble by the time you've completely flushed out UK in terms of performance. A lil bit of maths with get you your worse case scenario for drawcalls and you should ask the Bannerlord Devs if that's going to work / where you need to start removing unneeded environmental objects.
I actually made a post on discord regarding FPS issues etc. towards the end of blog which were being caused by the overly high poly count on the muskets etc. (5k+ a pop) so there is a lot of optimisation to be done there. The guys have done a great job with the models and props (apart from the insignia's being the wrong side up for UK the silly goose) but they do need to be reigned in and simplify their assets. There is plenty of time to do that though as we don't have a deadline for releasing, it will come when it is ready.

To be frank I haven't interacted much with the environments team recently as they are largely independant and work in their own time at the moment so I won't comment on the maps etc. until we have a sit down which is due in the next few weeks. I haven't gone into much detail with them yet but from what I have seen the maps are very large and optimization is good, but its not even worth having that discussion while its in such an early state and no battle testing has been done.

It can be found on the original posts and the Discord but UK+France are the only two factions that will be available upon original release of the mod. To which the uniforms etc. are actually largely in a close to completed state bar some small creative changes that will inevitably be made as thats just the process. The reason they mention the other factions early is on the Discord we have community teams for things such as Historical Accuracy, Uniform Design, Voice acting etc. So its more to build an interest and start a small database with materials that can be used later. For the UK and France factions we had populated these teams months before we started actually working on them so same principle.

It also gives the Artist/Uniform team something to work on once the starting factions are done, while the other teams continue to work towards the release.

Nah it doesn't.

the color scheme looks a lot like Holdfast to me thats about it though
Thats just the way the engine works as Marks mentioned. But If we are basing the game being like Holdfast just because of the colour of the uniforms then I don't know what to say.

I would be more worried about the combat being like Holdfast than just some colours if I were you.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 02:53:45 pm by John Price »

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2021, 05:26:35 pm »
Fair enough just make sure they know how many materials they're adding to scenes Vs taking away. Modding usually means adding content and if the base game runs juuuust good enough a mod will just make the FPS worse. It's very possible to make this run better than the base game it's just a case of planning things out.

Q : are the meshes being rigged and animated as one piece or are they many pieces e.g (head, hands, chest, legs, weapon) then combined in a player blob or whatever bannerlords equivalent is? This can save massively on performance in terms of CPU usage. GPUs these days have giant testicles yet most games don't take full advantage of a good CPU and bottle neck fast with animated cplayers.

Servers are worse, main reasons we can't have 2000 player battles is because no one has created a game engine that can use more than one core for online calculations which is completely fine for 64 players online matches but for our greedy community we want big old shlong lines.

Here's all my punctuation I was too lazy to use. *,,,.,,,..!?.??.*

Thanks, I'm very interested in the project.

Offline RedFeu

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: idol of Lebrave
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2021, 09:01:34 pm »
my dick is giant

Offline General Shepherd

• Retired General #AbimYok
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Former-82nd Regiment Leader S&M Creative Producer
    • View Profile
    • 82nd Regiment
  • Nick: General Shepherd
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2021, 04:46:42 pm »
Fair enough just make sure they know how many materials they're adding to scenes Vs taking away. Modding usually means adding content and if the base game runs juuuust good enough a mod will just make the FPS worse. It's very possible to make this run better than the base game it's just a case of planning things out.

Q : are the meshes being rigged and animated as one piece or are they many pieces e.g (head, hands, chest, legs, weapon) then combined in a player blob or whatever bannerlords equivalent is? This can save massively on performance in terms of CPU usage. GPUs these days have giant testicles yet most games don't take full advantage of a good CPU and bottle neck fast with animated cplayers.

Servers are worse, main reasons we can't have 2000 player battles is because no one has created a game engine that can use more than one core for online calculations which is completely fine for 64 players online matches but for our greedy community we want big old shlong lines.

Here's all my punctuation I was too lazy to use. *,,,.,,,..!?.??.*

Thanks, I'm very interested in the project.

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us, Marks. Rest assured, your concerns are our concerns too.

Also, we need to test this before we can finalize some things. We, as a team, realized that when we are currently fighting 500 vs 500 bots in the Hougoumont stage, we experience 20% performance loss. The reason for this is that we made the polygon number of the Muskets high and we added the beautiful texture version of the Charleville 1777 Musket, which we accidentally called "Special Musket", to the game, making it 5,000 polygons. But when we removed the musket and replaced it with "Brown Bess" and other standard "Charleville" musket, the performance loss was greatly reduced. These performance losses are not critical but will be fixed.

As for the uniforms, they are designed with great care and are made with historical accuracy and compatibility in the game. We're going a little slow, but I can guarantee you'll see some really cool uniforms.

25-30k uniforms, (medium size according to Bannerlord system)
Most armor in Bannerlord is between 30-60k.

It is made in many parts. (As head, hands, chest, legs and weapon) We are trying to combine this in mod tools + add animations and integrate it into the game.

We do not intend to keep an abundance of animation alive.
Bayonet Attach/Detach, Weapon Loading, Emote Animations this much will be enough for us.

There is a situation like this and I want to explain this situation.

In our meeting with Taleworlds officials, they said that the servers will be given to the community sooner or later. But there is also the situation that servers are high-performance servers compared to Warband, even servers with video cards, if they do not fix this, it may lead to high costs if they continue.

Our goal is to play events as stable as 500vs500 as a maximum, if we can achieve this, it's okay, but this is the final stage. If not, 250vs250 would still be a good number.

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2021, 04:48:14 pm »
Hopefully they deliver on the servers. Early looks have been really worrying. But if they improve it before they fully release them then its ok. We will just have to wait and see.

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 15th_YR_Gren_trot888
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2021, 05:32:17 pm »
I mean, I remember being told in the moderation team that custom servers would be out in a year when they believed EA would be over, 'custom servers' have been in the pipeline for a long time, and my guess is that it's probably going to be a lot longer before that happens.

A quick click-around on the taleworlds forum and you'll see countless threads named the following:

'NO COMMUNITY SERVERS ARE RUINING THE GAME'
'YOU PROMISED A YEAR FOR COMMUNITY SERVERS'
'WHERE ARE THE COMMUNITY SERVERS?'
'PETITION TO REMOVE THE CURRENT MP DEV TEAM'

obviously these are drowned within the copious spam of how bad the MP is (which in most cases I'd agree with).

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2021, 05:37:38 pm »
They have been giving servers out for use, that crash constantly and have limited tools. Hence the previous point.

Offline No0B

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Doctor Noob/2LBI_CSgt_Noob
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2021, 06:13:35 pm »
The sooner or later line scares the shit out of me, do you think you can get the server player count to around 100v100 like in NW ?

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2021, 06:18:27 pm »
Thats not really whats in question, its what was promised which was more than that is what people are wondering. But imo thats soo far becides the point right now.

If the servers core frameworks/networking are just poor, then it doesn't matter what numbers you get.