Author Topic: Recap  (Read 5681 times)

Norwegian13

Re: Recap
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 12:17:49 am »
I think that a lot of people get burnt out and take a break from the game for a while, which I myself have done several times, which reflects on the overall playercount. But I think a bigger problem for this DLC is the toxicity that has been slowly killing it, ever since it's start. Toxic people who have made the game less fun for others, I'm sure has been one of the main reasons that has discouraged several players from continuing to play NW, and further driving the playerbase down.

Oh, and also the lack of influx of new players. I don't think many people buy NW nowadays. Mount & Blade itself is quite an old game, so getting a new player is a rare occasion.
Can you explain how toxic it's getting?

I can't say much about how toxic it is right now, I haven't been playing NW since August, but back in August in my opinion there was a fair share of toxicity amongst the players both on the forums and in-game.

I think that a lot of people get burnt out and take a break from the game for a while, which I myself have done several times, which reflects on the overall playercount. But I think a bigger problem for this DLC is the toxicity that has been slowly killing it, ever since it's start. Toxic people who have made the game less fun for others, I'm sure has been one of the main reasons that has discouraged several players from continuing to play NW, and further driving the playerbase down.

Oh, and also the lack of influx of new players. I don't think many people buy NW nowadays. Mount & Blade itself is quite an old game, so getting a new player is a rare occasion.
I don't think the toxicity is that bad but the whole burn out thing is I think I left the community for a year or so? Because I was burnt out on the game I even said to myself I'm done with this game but in the end I returned and I'm glad I did I've been having a lot of fun since I did.

Yeah, I think the thing that the veterans are getting burnt out and taking breaks or completely leaving NW behind, with no new players coming in is probably the main reason for the decline. I think the FSE developers are trying to get some of the old players to come back with this new update, and perhaps get some new players interested as well.

this dlc is just getting older, and every good game is slowly dying as any other game, i dont believe in this "toxic community" argument tbh, some ppl might be but thats not the main point i believe

Eh, I agree that it's not the main reason, but I think for some people coming to this community and being greeted by some toxic players would definitely be a turn-off.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 12:24:19 am »
I think toxicity can be handled with moderators in the server, but that's if there are players to moderate. I think at the moment the focus point should be updating mechanics, adding some new features and creating a new scenario at this moment.

The lack of fresh people is a concern, and yes the game is becoming old. But I think we can still kick it a bit longer. It all depends on how we can interest people to come back again.
The first modder for NW.

Norwegian13

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 12:26:22 am »
I think toxicity can be handled with moderators in the server, but that's if there are players to moderate. I think at the moment the focus point should be updating mechanics, adding some new features and creating a new scenario at this moment.

The lack of fresh people is a concern, and yes the game is becoming old. But I think we can still kick it a bit longer. It all depends on how we can interest people to come back again.

Sure, I agree. Toxicity isn't something we can do anything with anyways. It really comes down to each individual.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 12:29:39 am »

Sure, I agree. Toxicity isn't something we can do anything with anyways. It really comes down to each individual.

I mean yeah, but we can still come together and help by talking about a good idea that we could do. Like take a feature from each mod you played and liked. It helps to see what worked and what didn't.

Game development is all about discussing ideas and see where they bring us. To fix what is causing the problem, diagnose and create a (creative) solution.

For example, it was mentioned about e-sports. NWL is an example, but the problem is that new players who recently bought the game don't always go to the forums after playing. Which makes it completely oblivious to new players that there is more than just the vanilla game. I wouldn't have known NWL existed had I not checked here. I think the game should somehow mention the forums a bit more, since a lot of the game is surrounded by community more than just the vanilla game itself.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:33:45 am by Betaknight »
The first modder for NW.

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 03:35:42 am »
Nothing went wrong. If NW was advertised it'd have the numbers to replace the generation of leaders/players who grew up and left the game behind. Everyone who still plays it now who are from 2014+ are either addictied or waiting for something new to play that equals NW (which nothing does) but when it does thats when the game will "die".

> the game will never die unless Youtube and steam get deleted from space time simple.

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 02:05:25 pm »
Lack of content in general imo.
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 03:09:50 pm »
Nothing went wrong. If NW was advertised it'd have the numbers to replace the generation of leaders/players who grew up and left the game behind. Everyone who still plays it now who are from 2014+ are either addictied or waiting for something new to play that equals NW (which nothing does) but when it does thats when the game will "die".

> the game will never die unless Youtube and steam get deleted from space time simple.
If nothing went wrong, then why are we here discussing this?

Advertisement could have played a role, but currently I think there's a reason why others are just moving on to the newer games such as holdfast, war of rights and any other similar kind of game that gives them a much nicer and fresher feel to the game than what is being offered now.

Aside to that, even if new players are coming in, we don't know how many of them are actually staying or just bought or got the game for a cheap or free deal.

Lack of content in general imo.
That's being handled in another thread though for now, so pitch over the ideas there :)
The first modder for NW.

Offline Ledger

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Self-proclaimed selfish super-spreader.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 91st_Lt_James_Munro
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 04:30:08 pm »
Toxicity has nothing to do with it. FSE"s lack of involvement in terms of updating the game and competitive support is the main factor that caused NW to decline over time. Games make money by adhering to the casual community but its longevity depends on the competitive demographic.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:33:29 pm by Ledger »

Offline Betaknight

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 04:58:53 pm »
Toxicity has nothing to do with it. FSE"s lack of involvement in terms of updating the game and competitive support is the main factor that caused NW to decline over time. Games make money by adhering to the casual community but its longevity depends on the competitive demographic.
Bingo
The first modder for NW.

Offline Fwuffy

• Amazing human being who deserves this title fully
  • General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Toupie
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 05:08:16 pm »
Toxicity has lots to do with it, or rather how it is dealt with. Taleworlds has a very strict forum policy, and active / involved moderators. The more important part is within the game though, every single tournament there has actual enforced rules and is handled much more professionally. Meanwhile look into any NW tournament hosted within the past couple of months / years and see people trolling their asses off with no regard to admins oftentimes, not to mention the chat which is always full of spam and toxicity. People here just don't seem to give a damn.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:09:54 pm by Fwuffy »

Offline Sleek

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 05:12:04 pm »
shut up idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from: Theodin
Sleek somehow only attacks when he’s successfully pulled a dude away and his team is coming to help - as in, the most reasonable time to continue blocking

Sleek plays like he's underwater - slow

Offline Ledger

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 05:45:11 pm »
Toxicity has lots to do with it, or rather how it is dealt with. Taleworlds has a very strict forum policy, and active / involved moderators. The more important part is within the game though, every single tournament there has actual enforced rules and is handled much more professionally. Meanwhile look into any NW tournament hosted within the past couple of months / years and see people trolling their asses off with no regard to admins oftentimes, not to mention the chat which is always full of spam and toxicity. People here just don't seem to give a damn.

There's no reason to give a damn. Community decline leads to everyone knowing each-other that leads to trolling during events. Rules and community suppression won't work unless you give people the incentive to play other than bragging rights. Even the prospect of making a little bit of money might make people more co-operative. Every community is toxic, small part is dealing with it; large part is giving an incentive not to be "toxic" (Money)

*Bragging rights wears off over time, especially in a smaller enclosed community. (Growth is needed)

Core Issue? FSE's involvement in supplying the growth and longevity part.

Edit : Best example : Counter Strike and its rise to an e-sport.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:50:52 pm by Ledger »

Offline Ledger

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 05:53:20 pm »
Could also be NW's bland melee system that lead to the competitive community's decline along with FSE being reluctant to make it better.

Offline Erik le Rouge

• Lieutenant General
  • Depardieu best dieu
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Cpt_Erik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2017, 06:01:10 pm »
I have spent the 6 years I've played this game in the cavalry community. It's a smaller, very different community from the 'infantry', more global community of the game. We've always kind of been seen as the serious guys, even though we had our fair share of toxicity, I don't recall it was ever as high as the rest of the community. Fewer people so fewer idiots probably.

I have been hosting events for the cavalry community for nearly 4 years (since March 2014), back then it always brought a ton of new people nobody knew shit about to the game, they would join the competition, and it would most likely always lead them to cavalry regiments (or the other way around, joining a reg first then participating in tournaments).

It's been different for one and a half year or so. Now there are little if no new players at all, but a very solid core of mostly non-toxic players. A couple of hundreds perhaps, but active, involved, skilled and competitive. It took a few years to form up, but now I'd say it really is the large majority of cavalry players on NW.

I'm currently hosting the Cavalry Nations Cup, it's an international cav competition with country teams instead of regiments. We gathered 10 teams of about 20 players each. Out of 20, maybe 2 or 3 are NW-infantry or Native players, so that's about 180 NW active cavalry players, just for that sole competition (you can add at least another hundred if you take the players who don't partake).

My point is: After 6 years of existence, the game has fewer people playing it than a few years before, but it has a stable and consistent core and community that plays it regularly. Many other games that have been out for 6 years are either dead or in the same situation. I honestly wouldn't say it's that bad.

Taking a CS:GO turn a few years ago and bringing the game to E-Sports would have probably made a lot more people playing it, and competition much more thrilling, but it would have been a lot more toxic as well. Things like that go together.

Hope my input was helpful, the cavalry community is as I said smaller than the infantry one but I don't think both communities are this different at the end of the day.
Quote from: Treiz35
fuck erik
Quote from: Dokletian
fuck erik
Quote from: Sinjide
yeah fuck erik
Quote from: Aless
fuck erik
Quote from: Michnicki 1
fuck Erik
Quote from: Charles la Valette
i love erik
Quote from: TxM
fuck erik
Quote from: FreyrDS
fuck Erik
Quote from: Termito
fuck erik.
Quote from: Ciiges
fuck erik
Quote from: Remao
fuck Erik

Norwegian13

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 06:12:45 pm »

Fwuffy has a very good point. I believe that the majority of NW players (especially in the competetive line infantry side) mostly troll and don't really care to be serious anymore unfortunately, but I think Ledger also made a good point in this regard where he said that considering the community is so small, everyone practically knows eachother to some degree, so there's no incentive for some people not to stay serious. I personally don't think that any money incentive is required in order to stay non-"toxic", but hey, everyone's different.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:14:21 pm by Noorwegian »