Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 524981 times)

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #3225 on: May 03, 2018, 09:11:29 pm »
Dutch need to keep quiet and pay up. Anyone who disagrees with France and Germany re: the future of the EU is a nasty evil eurosceptic baddie.

Anyway, what do people think about Trump getting the Nobel Peace Prize? I think he's a buffoon and that political leaders should almost never get the award, but his Korea policy has thus far proven to be a massive success. He's far more deserving than Obama, who it seems to me won because he had a nice smile. He won't win because he's not left-wing but poll worthy question maybe?

I don't think the Norwegian Nobel committee thinks threatening someone into submission is worthy of the prize, besides his actual contribution is questionable there was from my understanding many different factors that lead North Korea to want to negotiate like their dead/dying economy. If anything it should go to Moon Jae-in who did the actual negotiations.

Dutch need to keep quiet and pay up. Anyone who disagrees with France and Germany re: the future of the EU is a nasty evil eurosceptic baddie.

Anyway, what do people think about Trump getting the Nobel Peace Prize? I think he's a buffoon and that political leaders should almost never get the award, but his Korea policy has thus far proven to be a massive success. He's far more deserving than Obama, who it seems to me won because he had a nice smile. He won't win because he's not left-wing but poll worthy question maybe?
Obama got it for his drone warfare in Afghanistan, Trump has been a bit underwhelming in that department so far

Pretty sure one of their main reasons for giving it to Obama was the Iran deal.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:14:15 pm by Furrnox »

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3226 on: May 03, 2018, 09:24:08 pm »

I don't think the Norwegian Nobel committee thinks threatening someone into submission is worthy of the prize, besides his actual contribution is questionable there was from my understanding many different factors that lead North Korea to want to negotiate like their dead/dying economy. If anything it should go to Moon Jae-in who did the actual negotiations.

Obama got it for his drone warfare in Afghanistan, Trump has been a bit underwhelming in that department so far

Or you could listen to Moon Jae-In instead?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-southkorea-trump/south-korea-president-says-trump-deserves-nobel-peace-prize-idUSKBN1I10OD
Why am I still here

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: May 03, 2018, 10:13:30 pm »
Huh, did not know he said that.
Either way I doubt the committee will give it to him, not because he doesn't deserve it but because he's to controversial. I could be wrong though.

I found it funny how he asked people on twitter where to house the meeting with North Korea though.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:46:55 pm by Furrnox »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3228 on: May 03, 2018, 10:17:42 pm »

I doubt that since the Iran deal was reached six years later. They actually gave no specific reason for Obama's award, which isn't surprising given he'd only been in office 9 months.

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #3229 on: May 03, 2018, 10:31:20 pm »
When are we going to expand Europol? :/

EU is a joke at this point.

Kinda I'm hoping for some reforms once the UK actually leaves.
Yeah like trade blockade on UK.

reason?
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: May 03, 2018, 11:40:08 pm »

I doubt that since the Iran deal was reached six years later. They actually gave no specific reason for Obama's award, which isn't surprising given he'd only been in office 9 months.

Sorry I mixed up the year he got it, but here is their reasoning.

"The Norwegian Nobel Committee announced the award on October 9, 2009, citing Obama's promotion of nuclear nonproliferation and a "new climate" in international relations fostered by Obama, especially in reaching out to the Muslim world."

Not sure if he deserved it though.

Also another reason for Trump not to get the peace prize could be his handling of Iran which so far has been heavily criticized and lead to renewed hostilities.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:52:00 pm by Furrnox »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #3231 on: May 03, 2018, 11:58:19 pm »
I dont really think the leader of the most warfighting state in the world should any kind of peace price....
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: May 04, 2018, 12:26:28 am »
Not in every country. In the US draft once you’re inducted you can’t choose where they put you

Yes as soon as you're drafted into the military. What Duuring means is that you can object to yourself being called to the military. You can refuse service in the armed forces on ethical grounds.

After that you get two choices: instead of doing 1.5 years of service, or two years of alternative service, like in nursing homes, cleaning, hospitals, garbage services. You can choose what kind of alternative service you'd do yourself. It is either that, or 6 months incarceration.

At least, this was the Dutch system.

I remember when, for one reason or the other, conscription was being talked about somewhere in 2016 and I had a hard time convincing people that they actually couldn't just 'not go' and that it would constitute a crime for which you got jail time.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3233 on: May 04, 2018, 12:41:23 am »
Conscription is good for making the potential military reserve, but this way is kinda outdated, as long as now you can build the proffesional army on volounteers basis. The proffesional army might cost more, but in question of quality is way better then conscripts-based with low number of volounteers.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: May 04, 2018, 01:54:40 am »
I dont really think the leader of the most warfighting state in the world should any kind of peace price....

Yeah us Scandinavians should get it every year. (or the Swiss I guess.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 04:25:16 am by Furrnox »

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: May 04, 2018, 07:41:51 am »

reason?
They left EU,  they wont contribute anything to the budget and wil expect to have free trade like they did before. Not how it works.

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #3236 on: May 04, 2018, 02:23:50 pm »

reason?
They left EU,  they wont contribute anything to the budget and wil expect to have free trade like they did before. Not how it works.

Oh yeah, forgot Brussel is that stupid to actually do it. Anyway, I hope the UK is not the last country to leave the Union.
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: May 04, 2018, 03:48:00 pm »
Easy there. The UK is barely leaving.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: May 04, 2018, 07:38:50 pm »
 Let's keep postponing it.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: May 04, 2018, 08:38:45 pm »
Brexit in 10 months and still we don't know fundemental aspects of our future relationship.