Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 525115 times)

Offline Tharan

• Donator
  • Owner of Sheb Kebab.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #2235 on: January 07, 2018, 09:36:48 pm »
I wonder how badly the uk cabinet shuffle will go tomorrow

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2236 on: January 11, 2018, 01:29:33 am »
In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the European Union will be reorganized into the first United European Empire, for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for ten thousand years

Complains about EU democracy while living in an oligarchy, lol.

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2237 on: January 11, 2018, 02:02:09 am »
In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the European Union will be reorganized into the first United European Empire, for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for ten thousand years

Complains about EU democracy while living in an oligarchy, lol.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=american+political+system

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: January 11, 2018, 03:03:14 pm »
Yeah it's not like coperations are sponsering politicians campaigns and lobbies in congress or anything.

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: January 11, 2018, 03:05:30 pm »
Yeah it's not like coperations are sponsering politicians campaigns and lobbies in congress or anything.
Ah yes, because money in politics suddenly changes the whole system from a republic to an oligarchy. Cool

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: January 12, 2018, 01:30:22 am »
Seems like you're oblivious to the state of US politics.

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: January 12, 2018, 04:49:12 am »
Because a Swede knows better, and a Swede with a history of anti-Americanism to begin with. You're doing great, sweetie.
There is obviously a question of how much money influences policy, but it's more complicated than declaring a republican democracy as an oligarchy because your views make that a reality.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: January 12, 2018, 09:18:27 pm »

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 12, 2018, 09:31:30 pm »
Those who think he did: anonymous aides, Dick Durbin (D)
Those who think he didn’t: three Republican lawmakers
Hyperpartisanship, everybody! Making truth what your side wants it to be

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: January 13, 2018, 12:29:48 am »
Because a Swede knows better, and a Swede with a history of anti-Americanism to begin with. You're doing great, sweetie.
There is obviously a question of how much money influences policy, but it's more complicated than declaring a republican democracy as an oligarchy because your views make that a reality.

Given the suspiciously large amounts of money that gets spent in American elections, and the suspiciously large number of American politicians who are related to one another, it's probably fair to say the US is verging on being an oligarchy and has been for some time. Because you need a lot of money to run for political office in the US that tends to encourage political inbreeding, hence why the Bush/Kennedy/Clinton/etc families tend to cultivate their own donor networks. The same people who funded Bush '88/'92 & Bush '00/'04 also funded Bush '16, and obviously those donors expect a quid pro quo arrangement. Ironically the US has ended up with its own very powerful de facto aristocracy whereas in Britain aristocrats are mostly poor people with fancy surnames living in big, decrepit mansions.

USA should do what the UK does-give political donors knighthoods not legislation ;)   

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: January 13, 2018, 12:57:36 am »
Or a donation limit like Canada

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 13, 2018, 02:51:51 am »
Those who think he did: anonymous aides, Dick Durbin (D)
Those who think he didn’t: three Republican lawmakers
Hyperpartisanship, everybody! Making truth what your side wants it to be

I don't care for the wording of what he said.
The context is what is interesting, limiting immigration for all lower income countries seem to me like it would kill the idea of the American dream.
It doesn't seem like it's an idea Americans are that interested in maintaining anymore though anyways.

Aren't you Canadian? Just because I'm a Swede I can't give my opinion like Americans give their opinion on the EU constantly?
Anyhow sure the US is a democracy in theory but rich people do finance politicians campaigns and control all mainstream media. So if the US is a democracy in reality is a though question to answer.

I'm split on what I think of the US I defiantly prefer the US over Russia or China so should Sweden ever choose to join Nato I would support it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:56:09 am by Furrnox »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: January 13, 2018, 03:58:46 am »
Tbh the US is still more democratic than Sweden, which is barely a democracy.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2248 on: January 13, 2018, 04:17:04 am »
US politics is a tough one, to me it seems ludicrous that companies basically buy votes from people and it's all perfectly legal but it's in the constitution I suppose so there you go.

It's difficult to gage if Trump's actually said what he's accused of, there's no real way to prove either way. However, if he did indeed make that remark then that's extremely worrying that a man like that is the most powerful in the world.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: January 13, 2018, 06:32:04 am »
Tbh the US is still more democratic than Sweden, which is barely a democracy.
Please do explain your reasoning behind that statement.