Author Topic: World Politics Thread - Round 2  (Read 20344 times)

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: World Politics Thread - Round 2
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2016, 07:47:59 pm »
I didn't know Thunderstormer studied computer science. damn son.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:53:19 pm by GeneralSquirts »

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2016, 07:51:59 pm »
I'm actually doing a degree in Pols lol
Someone fund me plz

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2016, 07:55:39 pm »
I didn't know Thunderstormer studied computer science. damn son.

Yeah dude I love me some Computer Science

Someone fund me plz

You poor meme.

Just after Trump once and for all proved that POLS is a useless degree. Swap to Sociology or something like that. Its like POLS but more relevant.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:58:35 pm by AP0CALYPS3 »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2016, 08:34:38 pm »
My answer:

Spoiler
Well, the biggest issue is probably the political backlash against globalisation in the western democracies. You've got a large proportion of the population, previously employed in primary and secondary industries like manufacturing/mining/logging/etc who've lost their jobs as a result of competition in low-wage economies overseas and have failed to find meaningful employment elsewhere. This is especially bad as in places like the Rust Belt/North of England where the local economies were particularly dependent on these industries and now they're gone the region has suffered an economic collapse and the misery is multi-generational. They've been alienated by conventional politics for some time given the major parties have mostly accepted the neoliberal mantra of free and open trade. At the same time, the process of globalisation has greatly increased the profit margins of major companies due to tariff reductions, decreased labour costs and so on, so the wealthy have benefited massively and inequality between rich and poor has ballooned.

The economies of the West have thus de-industrialised to being services based, and this has caused wealth to become evermore concentrated in the major cities where these service sector jobs naturally gravitate to. The process has again benefited the wealthy since jobs in the tertiary sector require degrees and expensive education, not as accessible to the poor. So you now have an urban population increasingly wealthier than their rural/small town counter-parts and from a particular class-cultural background. They do not share the concerns of the minimum-wage workers outside the big cities or in the rundown suburbs as for them mass immigration from Mexico/Eastern Europe means cheaper nannies, cheaper restaurant bills and so on rather than increased job competition. For them free trade means cheaper iPhones and cars rather than unemployment. They have the economic security to worry about things like trans-gender toilets or climate change. It is from these groups of urban dwellers that the political classes (and donors) are often drawn. All this has contributed to a very large economic and cultural divide between the big cities and everyone else.

Naturally the group that has lost out from globalisation is not motivated by conventional politics, and often hold it in contempt given the huge disconnect between them and traditional political elites who have been zealot advocates for neoliberalism. They're also very difficult to be accounted for in the polling owing to their disinterest in a political system which has failed them. There's a general feeling that their economic interests have been sacrificed in Washington and elsewhere owing to the capture of politics by urban interests. The situation is thus ripe for a populist, an 'anti-politician' untainted by conventional politics, to rile this group up and win power on the back of such sentiments; it is little wonder this has been exploited by radical politics on both the left and right. As to what happens in 5-10 years? No idea. If one populist fails them they could search for an even more radical alternative. Personally I think this is a taster of what's to come. Technological change and increasing automation will eliminate a lot of unskilled and low-skilled job in the near future and I can't see where the replacement jobs will come from. Human labour is becoming increasingly redundant, so where does that leave capitalism? The answer is probably some form of 'citizens income' where everyone will be paid by the government, but will those not yet replaced by machine workers find such a situation acceptable? No idea.

[close]

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2016, 08:37:27 pm »
ty my man

just in time too

23 more minutes til final

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2016, 08:56:31 pm »
I'm currently studying gender studies but I think I might change
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2016, 08:57:34 pm »

Dont

Protest against the patriarchy and get laid

Offline Ambiguous

• Lieutenant General
  • Lieutenant of the 92nd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_Ambiguous
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2016, 09:05:38 pm »

Dont

Protest against the patriarchy and get laid
Masterplan

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2016, 10:20:07 pm »
k done.

wrote a 3 and a half page paper about how

De-stablization of Middleast = Terrorist Attacks + Refugees = Rise of Nationalism

Movement of Industry from West = Wealth Disparity = Anti-Establishment movements = Polarized Politics

Wealth disparity increasing + Rise of Nationalism + Anti-Establishment Movements = Fall of Globalism = Rise of Far Right

= Modern World

Made sure to talk about all the European elections to sound knowledgeable and shit. RIP EU.

Also talked about RIP World Police USA. Trump guide us.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:23:40 pm by AP0CALYPS3 »

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2016, 01:53:10 am »
Quote from: Apoc
Someone fund me plz

You poor meme.

Just after Trump once and for all proved that POLS is a useless degree. Swap to Sociology or something like that. Its like POLS but more relevant.
Soc is even more useless and its boring as fuck
Nah i'm probably going to do a medial POLS with phils, hist, ling or psyche

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2016, 02:13:38 am »
Someone fund me plz

You poor meme.

tbh the only two meme majors you just missed are Gender Studies and Art History

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2016, 02:31:01 am »
>Fall of Globalism
Lol. They haven't even initiated the next step yet. NWO soon.

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2016, 03:00:24 am »
Someone fund me plz

You poor meme.

tbh the only two meme majors you just missed are Gender Studies and Art History
How about classics
or devs

I got an arts university lol

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2016, 03:31:41 am »
>Fall of Globalism

Yo Nipple what brand of tinfoil do you wear? been looking to get some myself

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2016, 03:42:35 am »
>Fall of Globalism

Yo Nipple what brand of tinfoil do you wear? been looking to get some myself
Also what shape is your hat
Like normal tinfoil hat? or did you make it into a ball cap or something