Author Topic: US Politics thread  (Read 60812 times)

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
  • Side: Neutral
Re: US Politics thread
« Reply #345 on: December 22, 2016, 03:12:29 am »

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #346 on: December 22, 2016, 04:07:39 am »
Since Apoc got muted for these
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 12:53:56 am by Theodin »

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Peppers

• Colonel
  • Father of North American Cavalry
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pepper
« Reply #347 on: December 24, 2016, 03:50:24 pm »
Goodbye Theo, user count just keeps going down around here kinda scary for a buyer's stand point. Anyways how to you all feel about trumps appointees?

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 24, 2016, 05:34:44 pm »
Trump's goldman sachs picks are quite funny tbh. Is there anyone who still believes he's an outsider to the political establishment at all now? Literally the exact same people that the Clintons asaociate with.

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
  • Side: Union
« Reply #349 on: December 24, 2016, 06:39:12 pm »
Meh its Gary Cohn, the real enemy at Goldman if anyone knows about that company is actually Lloyd Blankfein.  If anything Cohn wanted to change Goldman's perception in the IB world

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 24, 2016, 06:43:48 pm »
The point is that he represents the wall street lobby, which is what Trump claimed to oppose. And I doubt Sachs would choose that guy if they didn't think he would represent them properly.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
« Reply #351 on: December 26, 2016, 07:32:39 pm »
Well that mute was stupid, and that ban even more so. Keep up the good work whoever is trying to kill the forums.

The point is that he represents the wall street lobby, which is what Trump claimed to oppose. And I doubt Sachs would choose that guy if they didn't think he would represent them properly.

Implying Sachs chose him not Trump.

Online BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Online BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #354 on: December 30, 2016, 09:27:03 am »
Good news guys. California is legalizing child prostitution
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
« Reply #355 on: December 30, 2016, 09:56:00 am »
I know you guys talk about these civil issues, not saying they don't matter by any means such as with racism, protests, immigration; but at the other spectrum already Trump has talked to Ian reed and other big pharma figureheads who are actively considering staying or relocating to the US, if the tax rate is lower/ providing way more higher paying jobs here.  Even Apple is considering it.  So M&A activity in big pharma, tech, energy sectors will increase/ which is another reason why Wall Street is looking good. 

In regards to electoral college, it does come down to states rights and equal representation of the state.  States are different, in economics, culture, laws, etc... and if the electoral college was dismantled and it went by popular vote/ then more states than the few blue would feel there representation didn't mean anything at all, and that a few states gain full power.  That's why it exists in general, so I don't believe in a full dismantlement but definitely needs to be modified in terms of gerrymandering and other sketchy policies
Karth...no...bad karth...you're treading in my domain. For one, more jobs isn't always a good thing. The question is if these jobs are good paying jobs. Take for instance walmart okay, walmart decides to invest in more stores across the country, sounds good right? More jobs, more cheap goods for people to buy, ect. The problem becomes much more evident when you realize that walmart pays shit wages and walmart as a competitor can run many businesses into the ground. Realistically, there will be job loss and the jobs gained will be worse. To make matters even more bad, it hurts local economies because 1. like i said, it runs other businesses into the ground and 2. money spent at walmart does not stay in the area besides the poverty wages given to the employees. More money leaves the area then goes into it. Walmart as a company is an economic drain. This is the reality of economics. Many other companies are just like this, apple is okay (i guess), big pharma is awful, tech & energy is sorta 50/50. One other thing, lower taxes does not necessarily mean higher wages unless the taxes lowered are income taxes, please don't assume this. When papa trump talks about helping the economy, be very skeptical. Who is he helping? The average joe or the CEO?

As for the electoral college, it should definitely either be by popular vote or some form of alternative voting system like the euros do. The largest voting block in this country is not democrats, its not republicans, it's people who identify as independents. Right now, these people only matter in states that may flip and are completely irrelevant in either solid blue or solid red states, in addition dems in red states are irrelevant as well as reps in blue states. Essentially there are a whole bunch of people who vote who make zero impact at all in the election. Want to make people feel like their vote means something? Abolish the electoral college because as it stands, independents in swing states matter too much and republicans/democrats in opposing states matter too little. Also gerrymandering has very little effect on the electoral college. Gerrymandering has to do with state/local representatives and senators, not so much the presidential election. I believe that there are districts which can be redrawn for college electors but this really only matters if they intend to be unfaithful electors which barely happens.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:01:06 am by Gluk the Walrus »

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 30, 2016, 10:35:37 am »
I know you guys talk about these civil issues, not saying they don't matter by any means such as with racism, protests, immigration; but at the other spectrum already Trump has talked to Ian reed and other big pharma figureheads who are actively considering staying or relocating to the US, if the tax rate is lower/ providing way more higher paying jobs here.  Even Apple is considering it.  So M&A activity in big pharma, tech, energy sectors will increase/ which is another reason why Wall Street is looking good. 

In regards to electoral college, it does come down to states rights and equal representation of the state.  States are different, in economics, culture, laws, etc... and if the electoral college was dismantled and it went by popular vote/ then more states than the few blue would feel there representation didn't mean anything at all, and that a few states gain full power.  That's why it exists in general, so I don't believe in a full dismantlement but definitely needs to be modified in terms of gerrymandering and other sketchy policies
Karth...no...bad karth...you're treading in my domain. For one, more jobs isn't always a good thing. The question is if these jobs are good paying jobs. Take for instance walmart okay, walmart decides to invest in more stores across the country, sounds good right? More jobs, more cheap goods for people to buy, ect. The problem becomes much more evident when you realize that walmart pays shit wages and walmart as a competitor can run many businesses into the ground. Realistically, there will be job loss and the jobs gained will be worse. To make matters even more bad, it hurts local economies because 1. like i said, it runs other businesses into the ground and 2. money spent at walmart does not stay in the area besides the poverty wages given to the employees. More money leaves the area then goes into it. Walmart as a company is an economic drain. This is the reality of economics. Many other companies are just like this, apple is okay (i guess), big pharma is awful, tech & energy is sorta 50/50. One other thing, lower taxes does not necessarily mean higher wages unless the taxes lowered are income taxes, please don't assume this. When papa trump talks about helping the economy, be very skeptical. Who is he helping? The average joe or the CEO?

As for the electoral college, it should definitely either be by popular vote or some form of alternative voting system like the euros do. The largest voting block in this country is not democrats, its not republicans, it's people who identify as independents. Right now, these people only matter in states that may flip and are completely irrelevant in either solid blue or solid red states, in addition dems in red states are irrelevant as well as reps in blue states. Essentially there are a whole bunch of people who vote who make zero impact at all in the election. Want to make people feel like their vote means something? Abolish the electoral college because as it stands, independents in swing states matter too much and republicans/democrats in opposing states matter too little. Also gerrymandering has very little effect on the electoral college. Gerrymandering has to do with state/local representatives and senators, not so much the presidential election. I believe that there are districts which can be redrawn for college electors but this really only matters if they intend to be unfaithful electors which barely happens.
This checks out

Offline USMC_Vicious

• Private
  • Best looking NW player
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_SSgt_Vicious[MAGA]
« Reply #357 on: December 30, 2016, 12:42:53 pm »
Trump's goldman sachs picks are quite funny tbh. Is there anyone who still believes he's an outsider to the political establishment at all now? Literally the exact same people that the Clintons asaociate with.

Funny?No.

I can see why someone would think they are a complete opposite of what he promised when he said he would "drain the swamp" but I would disagree. Yes, he has the richest cabinet ever assembled but these wealthy successful individuals and bankers running his economy are not working for the banks anymore they are working on behalf of the United States government and I believe they will bring their deal making skills and overall money making attitude back to the USA again and make our economy great again. The thing is with Trump is that he wants to succeed and be the best President ever and he will do all he can to make that happen. He picked the best cabinet choices he could possibly make, also what did you expect him to hire guys off craigs list for the economy positions? lol.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:51:42 pm by USMC_Vicious »
Best Trackpad NA
BBG Bot Survival Admin
USMC Siege Event Admin

Offline Grantrithor

• Second Lieutenant
  • <><><><>
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 30, 2016, 09:37:57 pm »
Good news guys. California is legalizing child prostitution

It's to make children who are exploited not criminals. Adult prostitution shouldn't be illegal as well.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 30, 2016, 10:21:35 pm »

Funny?No.

I can see why someone would think they are a complete opposite of what he promised when he said he would "drain the swamp" but I would disagree. Yes, he has the richest cabinet ever assembled but these wealthy successful individuals and bankers running his economy are not working for the banks anymore they are working on behalf of the United States government and I believe they will bring their deal making skills and overall money making attitude back to the USA again and make our economy great again. The thing is with Trump is that he wants to succeed and be the best President ever and he will do all he can to make that happen. He picked the best cabinet choices he could possibly make, also what did you expect him to hire guys off craigs list for the economy positions? lol.

I don't see how you can think they're not working for their respective private interests. How exactly do you think Trump makes these decisions? Because he liked the cut of his jib? It's about business and power, not just personal competance. Goldman sachs is one of the most powerful banking firms in the world and closely tied to the US government and economy. Yes, Trump wants to succeed, and in order to do that he knows he needs to cozy up with the people who can make or break him. If you think he got to this point on his own and legitimately opposed the big govt and business, well I think you're severely underestimating their power.

This establishment is what makes us who we are - there is no escaping it. Trump is president because he has played their game in many critical ways. And if he legitimately resists these people and structures, he will be punished like JFK. We'll see what he does, but so far all he has done is go back on his promises to appoint his own cabinet. Right now this is extremely similar to what Clinton's would have been.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:25:50 pm by Nipplestockings »