Author Topic: Random Black Screen Crashes  (Read 1753 times)

Offline JollyRogerz

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
Random Black Screen Crashes
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:12:25 am »
Hey everyone, I posted this over in the taleworld forums, but ran into a post saying I should forward issues to here? So I apologize if this is spamming, not sure where to throw this up, but here goes.

----------

Hey folks, thanks for dropping by.

I've recently gotten back into playing M&B after seeing Napoleonic Wars' release, and I'm loving it, for the most part.

Periodically, however, I get random crashes, my screen turns black and after a moment or two the game sound/music will start to loop. For the next few minutes, sometimes only 2 or 3 and sometimes upwards of 10, my system locks up until M&B finally cuts out. I've experienced this most frequently in Commander Battles, but it has popped up in other play modes as well, though less frequently.

This happens at random intervals it seems, and Im having trouble tying it to anything in particular. Sometimes I'll play for 5 minutes and boom down it goes, other times it's fine for a couple hours. A point of interest, however... I've never yet crashed when spectating, it's always during active play. I just spectated a Commander Battle for 10+ minutes because I joined mid-round, without issue. I crashed the second I spawned in for play.   :cry:

I get a message saying something to the affect of "Mount and Blade has encountered an error and needs to close"

Here's what I've tried so far from other threads I've read.

-I've tried verifying the cache, which found 1 missing file that I was able to replace.
-I've disabled HDR
-Uncheck Load Textures on Demand from startup prompt
-Lowered graphics settings across the board
-Updated my GPU driver
-Disabled something to do with flags in the games .ini file. Im spacing the actual text at the moment.

Edit: I guess I should supply System specs

Running windows XP SP 3
Intel Duo Core e8400 @3.00ghz
3.5 gigs ram
GPU:  Nvidia Gforce GT430

I have a feeling this may be ram/gpu related, as the gpu is a budget replacement for another one I had that died, and ram wise this computer is just getting behind the times.

I'm currently in the process of defragging, if that doesn't work I'll be trying a total reinstall.

Any thoughts on other things I might try? Thanks a bunch.

I'd gladly post a crash/bug report, Im currently trying to figure out how to do that..

EDIT: Using window's Event Viewer looking for crash logs, all my warband crashes come up with this result. I've no idea if it's useful...

Spoiler
Faulting application mb_warband.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module fmodex.dll, version 0.4.40.3, fault address 0x000c56f4.
[close]