Author Topic: No Officer Shooting Rule  (Read 10676 times)

Offline Thundersnow

• Captain
  • Overlord of the 00th Regiment, Time and Space.
    • View Profile
    • www.PlanetThundersnow.com
  • Side: Neutral
Re: No Officer Shooting Rule
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 01:47:54 pm »
I personally crouch behind my own men as they fire.

This allows me to continue to survive, providing necessary support, morale and an aura of Power on the battlefield that would be absent should I perish to a measly musket ball.

Many's the time I've shouted "PROTECT YOUR OVERLORD" during enemy charges into our stalwart lines.  This gives the men in my Regiment the knowledge and confidence that I am in complete control.  And I wish to remain that way, so come and fall on mine enemies sword so that I may continue to fight another day.

Of course, not all Regiments have this type of rigid structure in place to protect their leaders.  I can assure you, the 00th has no such failings. 

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 03:10:41 pm »
Next time I see your regiment in lb I'll shoot ya in the head, mateeeeeeeee  ;D
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline Tharan

• Donator
  • Owner of Sheb Kebab.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 04:11:08 pm »
Tbh if the Col gets shot the regiment should have people near to assume command of the line

Offline KPR_Nalani

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 09:29:48 pm »
As a general rule, the KPR leaders personally choose not take the officer, unless we have roughly 12 or more people as we do not believe the bonus is worth the loss of a musket (or as the usual case may be, a rifle). When we do take an officer, he is not always the person leading. He could just be a ranker in the line (maybe he likes sword combat or something), but your job is to provide the line with your shooting buff. He will not be the first into melee, nor will he often be lined up with the line very long. His or her position, is behind the line, out of the line of fire.

Because yes, people DO like to officer aim, even if there is a 'no officer aim' rule in place.

Offline Grimsight

• Donator
  • ᴅɪꜱʀᴇꜱᴩᴇᴄᴛ_Yᴏᴜʀ_ᴍᴇᴍᴇꜱ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3eVolt
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 08:48:52 am »
Its just a gentleman's rule between leaders.. if I'm leading a linebattle and my men keep shooting the enemy officer, guess who the enemy infantry are going to be shooting at? Me! I'd rather not die first every round  ::)

Offline USE4life

• Donator
  • Queen of Yorkshire
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yorkshireparty.org.uk/
  • Nick: Kicked out the K-KA_USE4life
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 12:24:44 pm »
Tbh if the Col gets shot the regiment should have people near to assume command of the line

In some regiments there defiantly is that. The problem is when there isn't the rule the officer doesn't really get to play the game. We've all had line-battles where we get shot every round even as a ranker but you get shot a whole lot more as an officer. It's just as bad in melee too. Playing as a ranker I would say I've gotten between 1-12 kills in one round in a melee, as an officer I don't think I've ever got more than 4. That's not because I'm bad with a sword I consider myself capable, the problem is when you are an officer, even in melee you get swamped by 3 or 4 people wanting to get the officer.

Offline OttoFIN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 12:28:30 pm »
Didn't the officers in real life take cover behind their line?

Offline Zzehth

• Donator
  • NANWL Co-Founder
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mexico is part of NA, damn gringos
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 01:33:18 pm »
Never officer aim.
Father of the NA Competitive Scene

Offline Johann

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 05:01:39 pm »
Only cowardly people officer aim.

Offline Aaron702

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 51st_BSjt_Aaron
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 05:37:19 pm »
A kill is nice, but knowing you killed a high ranking player who is responsible for the rest of the unit is a nice incentive to do it. Besides, too many officers walk out infront of enemy lines expecting not to get shot. As an officer of a skirmisher unit, I always encourage and praise my men when they kill an officer.

Offline Alexander

• Colonel
  • https://twitter.com/6motm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 06:55:09 pm »
Never officer aim.
Zzehth is god, therefore Zzehth is life. We love Zzehth. Do not officer aim.
Former leader of NA's - 5th, 75th 
Former Lt of the 54th
Former CSjt of 71st
https://twitter.com/6motm
https://www.twitch.tv/motm

Offline Physic58

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 10:32:32 pm »
Officer aim is good because it keeps people scrambled trying to figure out who is in charge

Offline Welsh_Lad

• Volunteer
  • http://www.mbmerc.com/?recruiter=11176
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mbmerc.com/?recruiter=11176
  • Nick: Mamluk_Sultan_Welsh_Lad
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 08:35:48 pm »

Offline Duke Of North Island Oman

• Corporal
  • 84e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 84e_Sgt_Oman
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 06:31:29 am »
If you die its apart of the video game
'Officers want to play too'
Play like your bloody rankers die first who cares they should all be able to take command.

Offline Malakith

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 11:33:05 am »
You can look at it from the other perspective.

Every shot fired at the officer is a shot not fired at people who are at that time far more lethal (musket vs pistol damage output is a non-argument). If you can convince the enemy to waste entire volleys on an officer that is multiple people in your own line who would not have been around to get kills in the return volley.

This is especially effective when the officer stands off to the side of line slightly or is on the generals horse, there are plenty of videos with 5+ guys attempting to chase the general in melee who keeps just out of reach whilst the line infantry now have a +5 man advantage against a previously equal foe. Or a whole line firing at the general instead of the unit charging them for melee which is by far the greater threat.

People seem fascinated with shooting the leaders, if you have a well drilled regiment who can either operate on voice commands without a physical body to follow or a suitably capable person steps up to take over you can gain significant advantages over the enemy through their overzealous officer targeting desire which makes negligible tactical sense.
We live in the realm of flying death cam and teamspeak, just because you shot the guy doesn't instantly "throw everyone into chaos". If anything you just gave their commander a UAV to make things even easier in large battles.

But hey, Logic + Internet = Does not compute.