Author Topic: Stock Picks  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
  • Side: Union
Stock Picks
« on: October 29, 2014, 05:20:39 am »
Hey Guys, decided to start this thread for any people wanting to get into stocks/bonds/ETFs, as an extra salary.  Also was bored and wanted to see if there were other people who dig into this sort of stuff.  Non-US nationals can also invest in the US stock market  :D (many brokers you can look into who have cheap commissions)  Even if you are not old enough to trade, I highly suggest getting into it, in some ways it is like gambling and gaming; especially if day trading with penny stocks which I used to do for fun with like $500.  Again if you do invest long term, even if its just with $500-$1000, you can still make a ton of money.  Although obviously the more you invest (be diverse with your investments) the safer you will be.  Oh and feel free to call me a capitalist.. I am using what my country is best known for..

My Picks ATM:

Apple- Pretty straight up buy, with over $160Bn cash on hand every single launch their stock goes up, I bought this at $99 not so long ago, and they always are profiting from every single product launch.  As their numbers go up = so does their stock.  Atm the stock is at $106.74 and I believe it will go at least $115 by the end of the year.  Even if this stock goes down $5 because of PR media related issues hold on to it, as it can make you a huge gain. Buy low, sell high.  Another bonus with the amount of cash on hand is that the company likes issuing dividends.
Spoiler
[close]

Gilead Sciences- As im in the industry this is one of the big stock picks atm.  Just this month it hit a low of $96, and after a HUGE earnings report skyrocketed to $113.  Sovaldi (their Hep C drug) costs $94,000 for a 12 week course of treatment for the pills.  Yea it sounds a lot but it also means that this company is making huge profits as people are buying it because of its 99% cure rate and because its just an oral pill.  Its projected $10B in profit, with only 2 other competitors who dont even beat it. 
Spoiler
[close]

I will post more when I can, these are for long term gains because you can get the federal capital gains tax down from 30% to 20% (they increased it) based on how long you hold it.  You should still be able to daytrade most of these stocks I post if you wanted, Apple especially can be quite volatile depending on media coverage.  If you guys also want me to post how to invest and such then I can post a guide on here.. feel free to debate my picks. 

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Stock Picks
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 05:51:14 am »

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:10:32 am »
I've always been interested by the idea, but I've never really wanted to get involved as it seems so risky. The stock price has to increase by a fairly significant amount just to break even on the cuts taken right?

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:41:36 am »
I've always been interested by the idea, but I've never really wanted to get involved as it seems so risky. The stock price has to increase by a fairly significant amount just to break even on the cuts taken right?
You mean mo=mk?
The first modder for NW.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 12:00:15 pm »
Invest in Heineken, they've gone by some drops past time, so they're cheaper now, but they have always done that, and then started rising significantly again.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 04:08:26 pm »

There are many factors, including how much you invest being the primary one, with the stocks I listed if you had $80K to invest, in a few weeks you could easily make $7K profit.  You wouldn't invest in stocks around the 90-100 range if you only had $500-$1000, as after taxes and fees you would only make $60 for example compared to what you could make with $80000 investment.  With $500-$1000 people invest in penny stocks or stocks around $10-$30 per share, also make sure the volume is high or else the stock price won't fluctuate, only unless it's a long term investment in a startup that just went IPO and has a good futures rating.  Anyways let's say with $1000 you bought a stock at $20 per share which has a huge volume and just released an earnings report making the share price go up $10.  Your net asset value would be increased $500 to $1500, which is huge.  Again some traders play with highly volatile stocks daily, I used to make like $100 a day with my $2K bank account for fun, all depends I will explain more later.

Invest in Heineken, they've gone by some drops past time, so they're cheaper now, but they have always done that, and then started rising significantly again.

That's true especially after Oktoberfest I'm sure their earnings report will be good news

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 04:14:28 pm »
I should learn how stocks work haha
Pointy stick champion

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 04:24:31 pm »
Invest in Korea
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Gizmo

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gizmo
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 05:20:15 pm »
My grandparents do that, they pay a guy in a bank to do all that shit for them, and it turns out it's a good way to make money. From what I've heard, bonds are the safest bet.

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 05:35:42 pm »
What are Stockz?
Spoiler
Dis thread haha D:
[close]
<3

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 05:48:29 pm »
When I took a Civics class in high school we had a game where we were given like $5000 fake dollars to invest in stocks for a semester and see who couls make the most money. We didnt do so well but I learned a lot about the market from it. I'll be looking into this sometime I'm sure.

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 05:50:06 pm »
<3

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 06:25:03 pm »
When I took a Civics class in high school we had a game where we were given like $5000 fake dollars to invest in stocks for a semester and see who couls make the most money. We didnt do so well but I learned a lot about the market from it. I'll be looking into this sometime I'm sure.
We did that in grade 7, the most successful student lost 50% lol
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 06:26:32 pm »

People who followc Economy in my Dutch highschool do this as well, only they start off with 30. They'd follow the actual stockmarket.
Some guys made nearly 50.000 euros after a year.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 06:36:22 pm »

People who followc Economy in my Dutch highschool do this as well, only they start off with 30. They'd follow the actual stockmarket.
Some guys made nearly 50.000 euros after a year.
Holy cow. How? My dutch highschool doesn't do that. As to why idk too much about it. We study most part in theory (not much of it) like dividend and examples with buitelandse beleggers etc...
The first modder for NW.