Poll

Do you prefer fire on the charge?

Yes
No
Depends (specify)

Author Topic: A word on fire on the charge  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Keita

• Major General
  • deco, mezzala, regista, guiniesta, picolas nepe
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: A word on fire on the charge
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 02:15:56 am »
balenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balencibalenci balenci

Offline Crescent Glow

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 04:53:17 am »

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 07:47:26 am »
FiC leads to a more even melee and more people surviving to melee, so anyone who prefers melee to camping skills as a game-decider would opt for FiC.
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Graphics Work: Groupfighting Tournament | NWEC

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 02:12:16 pm »
Uhh shooting leads to more melee? Never heard that before.

Personally I love shooting, I think it's rewarding and fun, but melee can also be fun and is often necessary. That said, I don't see how shooting while charging makes melee more fub or common. If you want to melee without camping or whatever it is you were describing then just charge in and melee. Pretty much the whole NA community does it and it makes melee pretty clean and there's less arguing about fol

Offline Heretic

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Dynamic
    • View Profile

Offline Stunned Lime

• Major
  • Hella O's
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2014, 12:06:07 am »
Fire in charge is shit.
As grimsight stated before, fire and charge is usually an easy way out of a mistake or a situation. Linebattles where fire in charge is not allowed, are always more skilled base in all aspects such as melee, shooting and especially leadership.

Offline Hugonaut

• Donator
  • He that cannot obey cannot command -B. Franklin
    • View Profile
    • 29th Worcestershire
  • Nick: 29th_Col_Hugonaut
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 07:09:17 am »
It changes line battles by 69%. (83% of statistics are made up on the spot)

For me FoC, FiC, FoL, What the hell? can we just standardize this? Fire in charge is my vote.

But anyways.  FiC makes a damn easy and faster LB. The second you're line feels threatened by anything, or the enemy team has a tactical advantage, you can easily point blank and melee your way out of it. In the 71st LB the 29th noticed insta panic in almost everyone. And it's right to panic in some FiC situations. But FiC really opens up a commanders ability to be tactically retarded, yet look good. It's way too easy to attack, and it makes it way too easy to get out of a shitty situation. What I really enjoy is watching other regiments abuse the hell out of it. I really get a kick out of it. Some regiments, before anything exciting happens, will do it because of lack of anything better to do. IMO they're complete noobs.

Also it really allows the commander to be really lax. Salvation is only a command away. In light of melee, charging, and melee is way more common in FiC linebattles. When a enemy commander says: "Hey *insert XO* What do I do?"-*Insert CO* The next viable action is charge. With no regards to anything, and a athigh success rate. Even if your line is completely demolished, and you're a complete idiot. You don't look that bad. Because you took a damn good chunk of them with you via led. So you get these guys who panic and don't know what to do who charge. And because you can't just stand there and take a massive volley from a spread out line at 4ft. (Well you can, but you can't walk away.) You must counter charge. When line A feels threatened they will charge. Because They're shit. Then line B, Having no other sane alternative, will then counter charge. And what ensues is point blanking and seconds later, melee. Resulting in A LOT of death regardless of who's who.

So IMO. It's fun, it adds some depth...That's not the right way to say that.....Allows shitty commanders to make shitty commands that result in a not so shitty outcome. But it's fun. It is. It's a lot more action packed and it is indeed fun to point blank melee champs. And it's fun to watch a regiment charge around the map for five mins getting shot at by the 29th. So yeah. It's different. You just have to know how to use it to your advantage. And one more thing. When you have that option open, you're going to use it. I do. Not a lot. But it happens.

I'll leave you with a 29th video that's all FiC.

-Hugo

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 10:06:24 am »

Personally I love shooting, I think it's rewarding and fun, but melee can also be fun and is often necessary. That said, I don't see how shooting while charging makes melee more fub or common. If you want to melee without camping or whatever it is you were describing then just charge in and melee. Pretty much the whole NA community does it and it makes melee pretty clean and there's less arguing about fol

It's harder to hit a target during a charge than it is when it's in a stationary line, due to strafing and the risk associated with holding your shot right up until bayonets are in your face (most will fire their shot off early and miss). More shots will miss in a single, close-ranged charge than in a close-ranged fire-fight with FiC prohibited. Getting occasionally pointblanked, or occasionally pointblanking during a FiC charge gives the illusion that getting hits is easier than with no FiC simply because it's a very satisfying or annoying (depends on who's on the receiving end) way of getting a shooting kill. In reality it's a minor price to pay for a larger and more balanced melee, with the two lines being forced to break and melee at close distances, whereas in No-FiC you'd have the 2 lines shooting eachother to bits in a stalemate at a this distance, or  have 1 line outshooting the other and the other being forced into a desperate unbalanced melee. A bit more consicely: with No FiC, balanced melee only occurs when it's mutually decided, but with FiC, one regiment can force another into balanced melee regardless.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:14:29 am by Evanovic »
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Graphics Work: Groupfighting Tournament | NWEC

Offline Munro

• Sergeant
  • "They call him Cannonborn... We call him... Bunro"
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Marins_Garde_PMtr_Munro
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 05:46:13 pm »

It's harder to hit a target during a charge than it is when it's in a stationary line, due to strafing and the risk associated with holding your shot right up until bayonets are in your face (most will fire their shot off early and miss). More shots will miss in a single, close-ranged charge than in a close-ranged fire-fight with FiC prohibited. Getting occasionally pointblanked, or occasionally pointblanking during a FiC charge gives the illusion that getting hits is easier than with no FiC simply because it's a very satisfying or annoying (depends on who's on the receiving end) way of getting a shooting kill. In reality it's a minor price to pay for a larger and more balanced melee, with the two lines being forced to break and melee at close distances, whereas in No-FiC you'd have the 2 lines shooting eachother to bits in a stalemate at a this distance, or  have 1 line outshooting the other and the other being forced into a desperate unbalanced melee. A bit more consicely: with No FiC, balanced melee only occurs when it's mutually decided, but with FiC, one regiment can force another into balanced melee regardless.

Interesting, but all of this has to be in regard to numbers. If you are a regiment with more than 20 or so attendees, a FiC would hold a severe advantage over a line <20 not FiCing. It might be worth while to test or theorize the allowance of such a rule if the line is less than a certain number, say 20, so that they may utilize the advantages of FiC without it becoming a easymode line wrecker. I mean, placing it into scenario:

If a line of 40 charges at a line of 20, and they FiC, there is a good chance that 1/4 to 1/2 of the defending line would be wiped out from the tactic, which would be a fight ender. Switch it, and the numbers would essentially be approximately even, not even considering the idea of the defending line firing a more accurate, more lethal volley at the charging group.

If people have an issue with that "imbalanced privilege", it would be a certain penalty for larger lines if there is a significant difference in line numbers within the LB. Which I think would be fairly balanced based on the accuracy system (There tends to be an exponential increase in lethality of a line fire as number of people go up, this would extend to FiC as well, the more people that fire means the more chance that one of the bullets will hit something, so 10 people have 10 chances, 20 people have 20 chances, and 40 have 40, obviously).

All in all, it would be a decent way to make CQC a little more even, although this may only apply to this type of scenario, a 20 v 20 would be more aggravating, but it would be a decent display of either line's ability to accurately shoot while charging, which could in fact balance the fight between the two under that regard (but this opinion is based on a neutral standpoint for all skill levels, I am all for melee only since getting shot right before a melee is incredibly frustrating for me).
Just an idea.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:53:23 pm by Munro »

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2014, 12:45:40 am »
I think the best solution is to not allow it. In events where it's allowed there is always confusing and debate over whether a regiment fired while charging or fired out of line. If it is not allowed and a regiment fired while charging or out of line then there's no debate whether they broke the rules or not because the rules are simple and clear. Banning it makes for less arguing, less rule breaking because people won't ha e the excuse of "Oh it was fic not fol" and all around more fun.