Poll

Do you prefer fire on the charge?

Yes
No
Depends (specify)

Author Topic: A word on fire on the charge  (Read 4658 times)

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
Re: A word on fire on the charge
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 08:31:43 pm »
It's FIC not FOC you disgusting plebians.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 08:59:33 pm »
It's up to the organizers of the event. The only time I've ever been upset about a regiment firing while charging is when the rules clearly state that it is not allowed. If Firing on the charge is allowed then I don't mind, even if it can be annoying. Having commanded line and skirmisher units before I will say that it can affect your regiment's performance in melee combat if you let them hang back and shoot or if they try to reload, or take too long to shoot, etc. It can turn a well organized and swift charge into a spread out mess. I've had linebattles where an enemy regiment fired on every charge but it didn't matter because of 3 factors: 1) They sucked at shooting 2) They were too spread out to help each other in melee, and 3) Guys who took too long to shoot were left vulnerable and bayoneted to death.

My verdict:

If it isn't against that event's rules, then fire while charging - at your own risk.

Offline Crescent Glow

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 02:04:47 am »
It's FIC not FOC you disgusting plebians.

Offline Dom_

• Donator
  • boi
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Kafka // Robert Black

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 04:34:09 am »
Never understood the problem with FiC, it makes sense to shoot your gun if you can. I liked how the the 71st allow FiC in their event, it's better than dicking about for 15 minutes playing follow the leader. This is coming from me, who spends most of his time skirmishing, but come on.

Seriously, can someone give me a legitimate reason why FiC is such a plague?
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 04:36:13 am »
The irony is that 71st's event is nothing but ring around the rosie.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 04:49:46 am »
The irony is that 71st's event is nothing but ring around the rosie.

Mmhm.

God damn it I miss MM events. Actual tactics and shit.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 05:10:54 am »
Very much so. Lines seemed to work together, rather than one line moving, another following, and another two following them, and so forth. It was working together forwards and back, not shifting around in circles.

Offline Crescent Glow

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 05:11:27 pm »
I remember there were always a bunch pubs in mm events.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 05:15:27 pm »
Very much so. Lines seemed to work together, rather than one line moving, another following, and another two following them, and so forth. It was working together forwards and back, not shifting around in circles.
Indeed. Nothing really has changed between now and then, other than a bunch of 12 year olds in charge of skirmishers. Back in MM the skirmishers at least fought in melee. Now they run across the whole fucking map, taking pot shots and dragging out the maps to stupidly long lengths. No one wants to die early because you waste half your life waiting in spec in the mean time.

Edit: Also, it's fire in the charge. On makes no sense grammatically, not that that's stopped you plebs before.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 05:55:45 pm »
I simply dont like it because it to me negates so much of the tactical elements of linebattles. When you cannot shoot when out of formation it requires units to pay far closer attention to their positioning and timing. Firing ont he charge I have always viewed as a get out of jail free card when an enemy formation has you in a tight position. In short I feel it kills allot of the tactical element of linebattles.

In the end there is no "better way". People will have different ideas on whether it should be implemented in their events depending on their mindset of tactics or gameplay. Luckily we have a large and diverse enough community which allows these groups to participate in the events they want to be in.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Alpharion

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Jnafu Ajunf Najfu Fanju Ufanj
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2014, 05:57:11 pm »
Yeah, The one big issue I have with it is that my line can be forming up and the enemy line just breaks and fires on us. It ruins the need for lines and it just devolves into a big melee from what I've seen, Also quite irritating when I'm the one being shot whilst in melee.

Offline AlekoTheGreek

• Donator
  • Alex, born in the year of the false spring
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 16th AlekoTheGreek
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2014, 07:02:50 pm »
FiC allowed or FiC not allowed is pretty much the same for me
(as long as there are no regiments firing in charge when it is not allowed *cough-cough* :D )

Offline OTGmorley

• Private
  • luv me pls
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 93rd_Rgl_OTGmorley
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 07:11:30 pm »
I simply dont like it because it to me negates so much of the tactical elements of linebattles. When you cannot shoot when out of formation it requires units to pay far closer attention to their positioning and timing. Firing ont he charge I have always viewed as a get out of jail free card when an enemy formation has you in a tight position. In short I feel it kills allot of the tactical element of linebattles.

In the end there is no "better way". People will have different ideas on whether it should be implemented in their events depending on their mindset of tactics or gameplay. Luckily we have a large and diverse enough community which allows these groups to participate in the events they want to be in.

+1

Offline Who-

• Colonel
  • You been lookin' for the wrong one
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 10:33:27 pm »
In general I feel like FoC is just an easy way out when a leader gets their line in a bad spot. You still get to use your shots so it doesn't matter what ditch you've led you and your men into, you still get to shoot the enemy to shit. Its just annoying
It would be perfect for you then.
I'm like a reincarnated Saltyy But I actually have some talent.