Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231518 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #2250 on: July 20, 2018, 07:00:37 pm »
Yeah but fuck shoes though
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2251 on: July 21, 2018, 12:44:41 am »
Actually historical accurate shoes are very important and very visible, but ofc get your linen trousers first.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: July 21, 2018, 01:42:45 pm »
I don't need period shoes to know the feeling of historically accurate hurting feet....

For real it would be one of two things I don't really feel a lot of pressure to do 100% perform... next to sleeping outside...

OKay maybe that comparison is a bit off... I bring a sleeping bag and prefer to sleep in a tent purely out of comfort as I don't like to volunteer to be cold or wet for a hobby (I also don't like it for work though :P). shoes to me are not just a thing for comfort... If it's wet, your feet will remain so for an entire weekend, which is not entire good for your feet. The shoes have no support whatsoever (for someone who needed a long time of walking in modern boots to get rid of walking on the inside of my foot, that is a problem) and I am 99% certain accurate shoes won't actually fit properly, which doesn't really help any of the points I made before... I need to take care of my feet as I will still probably need them when I am 45 and considering the line of work I have chosen for myself I try and take care of my feet as much as I can...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:52:34 pm by Riddlez »
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: July 21, 2018, 04:04:02 pm »
Ughhg mainstream problems

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: July 21, 2018, 04:54:16 pm »
I don't need period shoes to know the feeling of historically accurate hurting feet....

For real it would be one of two things I don't really feel a lot of pressure to do 100% perform... next to sleeping outside...

OKay maybe that comparison is a bit off... I bring a sleeping bag and prefer to sleep in a tent purely out of comfort as I don't like to volunteer to be cold or wet for a hobby (I also don't like it for work though :P). shoes to me are not just a thing for comfort... If it's wet, your feet will remain so for an entire weekend, which is not entire good for your feet. The shoes have no support whatsoever (for someone who needed a long time of walking in modern boots to get rid of walking on the inside of my foot, that is a problem) and I am 99% certain accurate shoes won't actually fit properly, which doesn't really help any of the points I made before... I need to take care of my feet as I will still probably need them when I am 45 and considering the line of work I have chosen for myself I try and take care of my feet as much as I can...

You only work on assumptions, I can actually tell you that the historical shoes are more comfortable than most of my shoes, even my tracking boots.
The first time you put them on not exactly, they need a lot of leather fat, and then after a one event and sweating a bit in them, the leather forms exactly on your feet and they are crazy comfortable, I marched for instance 100 km in 4 days in them, and had no blisters. and no pain afterwards.

I now have historical boots for 5 years without issue, except they broke in Malta, i had a backup pair that I used on 2 events now, and they are also walked in now and very comfortable..

I understand your fear, but it is unfounded, It sounds more as an excuse to save money :P

Historical boots cost like 120 euro + shipping something like 140, its not so bad?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: July 21, 2018, 07:45:24 pm »
Money is not an issue I have, so no, my fears weren't financial. What you say does change my mind though... I'll be sure to look into buying shoes as soon as it becomes relevant..

My biggest issue right now is getting a weapon's permit... I would only have my parent's place to store it.... I can't do it where I actually live considering the DoD only allows weapons to be stored in military-grade safes (which includes safety features a good deal more substantial than what is prescribed by law - I would have to build a seperate building for it, in short) and I also cannot store it in the safes we already have, because they won't allow non-service firearms to be stored alongside service firearms.

Problem is that if I'd have an event in Belgium, I'd need to go from the south all the way north and then back, just to get my weapon =| not very practical and ti is something I need to start thinking about considering I registered last August

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: July 21, 2018, 08:20:28 pm »
Problem is that if I'd have an event in Belgium, I'd need to go from the south all the way north and then back, just to get my weapon =| not very practical and ti is something I need to start thinking about considering I registered last August

My ancestors went through the whole of Belgium in a week while being shot at by your ancestors, I'm sure you'll be able to do it in much less time considering your current position.
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: July 21, 2018, 08:53:51 pm »

My ancestors went through the whole of Belgium in a week while being shot at by your ancestors, I'm sure you'll be able to do it in much less time considering your current position.

Yes but your ancestors didn't have to care about the time as much. And I am not talking about South-Netherlands. The distance I'd have to cross is 700km in half a day.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: July 23, 2018, 11:57:45 am »
Money is not an issue I have, so no, my fears weren't financial. What you say does change my mind though... I'll be sure to look into buying shoes as soon as it becomes relevant..

My biggest issue right now is getting a weapon's permit... I would only have my parent's place to store it.... I can't do it where I actually live considering the DoD only allows weapons to be stored in military-grade safes (which includes safety features a good deal more substantial than what is prescribed by law - I would have to build a seperate building for it, in short) and I also cannot store it in the safes we already have, because they won't allow non-service firearms to be stored alongside service firearms.

About the boots, I recommend ordering them from czech republic:
http://www.umlaufshoes.com/cs/produkt/27-11817-boty-francouzke-armady

Oh bloody hell yes, weapon laws suck.
I don't have a easy answer for you what to do, except perhaps buying an original gun, which is free to throw on the wall.
If you need help buying an orig, I can arrange it for you, and repair them, it's my hobby.

Costs for an original gun are between 1000-2000 euro depending on the work needed on it and the source gun, and luck finding a cheap but good one.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: July 23, 2018, 12:02:02 pm »
Can I buy a cheap shitty one and replace pretty much everything? I don't know how much the law cares about the Theseus Paradox  ;D
Anyway cheers for the offer, I will certainly consider this

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: July 23, 2018, 12:19:38 pm »
Can I buy a cheap shitty one and replace pretty much everything? I don't know how much the law cares about the Theseus Paradox  ;D
Anyway cheers for the offer, I will certainly consider this
Usually I buy a gun that is perfect or near perfect and fix it up. or at least make the lock safe and firing.
Clean the barrel properly, sometimes pull out an 200 year old shot and ball.. (no joke)
And finally I shoot a heavy load with ball from a distance with a rope to check barrel strength (non blew up so far) even old thin metal is much stronger than the modern poured iron.

About the gun laws, I think as long as the Barrel is original and the lock-plate, all will be quite fine.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: July 23, 2018, 12:22:08 pm »
It sounds fucking shaky to fire 200+ year old iron for some reason =P
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:26:20 pm by Riddlez »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: July 23, 2018, 12:36:56 pm »
They shoot better, are lighter and much better balanced. Original stuff is awesome.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #2263 on: July 23, 2018, 01:14:18 pm »
For muskets, the barrel is key. As long as the barrel is original, and you can prove to the authorities that it is original, you should be safe to replace everything else. Doubt they'd even notice it if you replaced stuff like the lock or the ramrod. Most police offiers that came to my house to check my musket didn't even know what a fucking musket was beforehand. 
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: July 23, 2018, 01:48:03 pm »
Sounds like a good deal then, to get an original... I'll definitely consider it.