Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231458 times)

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #2160 on: June 26, 2018, 10:27:18 pm »
Lol, I just bought one of those 'old' model bonnets a few months ago.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #2161 on: June 26, 2018, 10:36:17 pm »
Well the issue isnt settled completely yet.

Most people seem to agree that the bonnet with the red turban is the regulation version until the 1812 regulations, but assume that many regiments instead opted for a blue turban instead, since it would be easier to produce.
Now Paul Dawson comes along and talks about a Uniform tariff from 1808 that apparently no one else has seen or talked about that regulates the bonnets as the blue turban, red piping bonnet we had before we replaced it.

But there is a drawing from 1810 depicting a soldier wearing the red turban bonnet.
So what the fuck am I supposed to do/think now. Somehow everything seems correct. It is a huge mess.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2162 on: June 26, 2018, 10:46:46 pm »
Our model (let's call it the 'red model) was introduced in 1799 and then not officially replaced until 1812 with the pokalem. Yet now someone found hand-written orders from 1808 (in a freaking box in some archive, Jesuuuusssss) which apparantly suggest they changed the model to be completely blue due to shortages of red wool. But then we also, like Olafson said, have clear drawings from 1810 showing the red model. It's not impossible some regiments followed the order, some didn't, and some had already been making blue model bonnets prior to the 1808 order. Luckily we do plenty of pre-1808 events, so we still have use for the red model even if we do conclude it was changed. The problem is that it was probably different per regiment. We know for a fact that the 85e still had scarlet fabric in stores in 1814 so there was clearly no shortage.

Why though? The 85e does a Bardin impression. They even told someone not to get an 1810 model coat.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 26, 2018, 11:22:17 pm »

Why though? The 85e does a Bardin impression. They even told someone not to get an 1810 model coat.

Equipage also uses that exact model (which we're also not entirely sure if that's correct, but we are suffering from a lack of information instead of conflicting information). My old one was cheap and sloppy so I wanted to get a proper one. I am gonna get a Pokalem for my 85e impression but until then I use my bonnet as a backup option.

As for your issue, it seems to me that technically both are correct for post 1808 events and impression. Red being the correct regulation one, but blue also being a possibility that isn't entirely inaccurate.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 26, 2018, 11:42:24 pm »
Equipage also uses that exact model (which we're also not entirely sure if that's correct, but we are suffering from a lack of information instead of conflicting information). My old one was cheap and sloppy so I wanted to get a proper one. I am gonna get a Pokalem for my 85e impression but until then I use my bonnet as a backup option.

Ah, fair enough. Although from we can tell from period drawings and paintings, the bonnets were incredibly sloppy sometimes. How is your 85e impression going along anyway?

As for your issue, it seems to me that technically both are correct for post 1808 events and impression. Red being the correct regulation one, but blue also being a possibility that isn't entirely inaccurate

I think that's the way we are leaning. We know the 85e did not have a lack of scarlet wool in 1814, and the 1808 order lists the uniforms for hospitalized troops, not for the actual line infantry. Then again, we must be wary not to find arguments for our conclusion, not a conclusion to the arguments. If we're wrong, we are wrong.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 11:45:37 pm by Duuring »

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 26, 2018, 11:59:01 pm »
How is your 85e impression going along anyway?

The basics are pretty much done, I have my shako, greatcoat, gillet and habit-veste. Only thing I was missing was a backpack but my dad surprised me lately with informing he had ordered one from Willem for me. Best gift I could have wished for honestly. The next part is just minor touch ups really. Get a proper pokalem, canteen etc. That said, I really do want to look into ditching cotton trousers for linen in the future. Gonna have to wait at least till next year however, I spent a quite a lot this year and I don't have unlimited funds.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 27, 2018, 12:10:17 am »
Your dad should have specified the havresac to be 'like that of Nico'. The 'like that of Nico'-model is the best.

Seems a very rapid progression, well done. I don't even have my gilet-veste yet, as our tailor literally takes forever.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 28, 2018, 12:00:05 pm »
And now begins the road to Waterloo 2020

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 28, 2018, 12:43:10 pm »

You better come.

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: June 28, 2018, 01:42:39 pm »
155th Gettysburg is next week

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 28, 2018, 02:00:20 pm »

You better come.

Currently liasoning with the 42nd in the UK so should be :P ..probs not going to camp tho

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #2171 on: June 28, 2018, 02:57:15 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm even excited, such big event will just be a big anoyance and farb fest.

Perhaps it will be funny to march Ligny > Waterloo and instead of sleep in the tent camp find some empty ditch under some group of trees. and make our own fun.
Build some shelter from available materials and enjoy.

Then the battle is the only thing to be there for anyway, it will be large, hopefully better than 5 years back, not with a huge field so even if you have 5000 people you cannot see them..

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 28, 2018, 03:01:34 pm »
Yeah hopefully its not spread out like 2015
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:17:25 pm by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 28, 2018, 04:20:49 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm even excited, such big event will just be a big anoyance and farb fest.

Perhaps it will be funny to march Ligny > Waterloo and instead of sleep in the tent camp find some empty ditch under some group of trees. and make our own fun.
Build some shelter from available materials and enjoy.

Then the battle is the only thing to be there for anyway, it will be large, hopefully better than 5 years back, not with a huge field so even if you have 5000 people you cannot see them..

We should really try to form some kind of 'western' progressive company for Waterloo, in the same style as we do in civil war. If enough east-Europeans come, we can even make a batallion of two or three companies. It works very well in ACW, even in Europe, yet somehow the model is barely copied in Napoleonic re-enactment. Now you just show up and make ad-hoc formations on the spot. It works, but we could (and should) take it a step further.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #2174 on: June 28, 2018, 05:10:14 pm »
I agree, I'm trying to work with the Poles right now, But east Europe is quite closed towards west Europe, at least in the topic of progressive Napoleonic it seems, generally there are simply no progressive groups. at least I know only 22e from Germany, 33eme from Poland and???? nothing else.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:14:07 pm by Vincenzo »