Author Topic: YouTube Gaming Parnership  (Read 8796 times)

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorWarbandHD
  • Side: Union
YouTube Gaming Parnership
« on: March 21, 2014, 07:39:41 pm »
Hey guys, I need help with something.
Is it possible to get a sponsorship from a big game development company like Ubisoft, Rockstar games and ect?
And if so, how is it achievable? I want to get a sponsorship from Ubisoft, for my YouTube channel.
Sorry if it's a stupid question.
The Dankest of Memes, start in the simplest of words. Wombo combo.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: YouTube Gaming Parnership
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:30:52 pm »
What do you mean by sponsorship? From experience, you should be able to simply get into contact with a company's PR department for anything you need/want. You'd have to have something to bring to the table for anything major, though.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:40:39 pm »
What do you mean by sponsorship? From experience, you should be able to simply get into contact with a company's PR department for anything you need/want. You'd have to have something to bring to the table for anything major, though.
Like popularity? I mean, famous YouTubers get games in early access/for free from the companies they are associated with. So will popularity be a must, or I could put a goal for them, leaning on the fact the channel will bring more views if it gets famous?

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 08:43:27 pm »
You wont get anything out of it unless you have at least a couple of thousands of subs I think.

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 08:45:42 pm »
You wont get anything out of it unless you have at least a couple of thousands of subs I think.
Not necessarily.
It could be possible to do without some thousands of subscribers.

Offline Bramif

• Donator
  • Lolern lærer mand!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bramif
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:15:28 pm »
It's about popularity in general

This will explain how to get it!  :)

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 09:20:26 pm »
Nah mate, I know how to get it. The thing I am asking is if it's possible to make a deal with a big company like Ubisoft, so the popularity of the channel will grow, and they'll sponsor.

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 10:49:59 pm »
Sorry for the double post.
I saw the video, and I was like - FUCK! I need to make more videos, quick! :P
But what I asked, is if you can be sponsored by a company, and like that get more views.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 11:21:13 pm »
Just get into contact with the company, no harm in trying. The more you have in terms of popularity, the better your chances.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 11:33:33 pm »
Just get into contact with the company, no harm in trying. The more you have in terms of popularity, the better your chances.
I realised my channel already has a partnership. I just need to upload more that's all. :P
So I just need new games and I can start recording again.

Offline Skyz

• Second Lieutenant
  • The Hour Kills the Patient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 01:24:09 am »
I think your using the wrong term of sponsership. To be sponsered is that company is paying you to advertise them. (EX: Wilson Tennis Co. will sponser me to play with their rackets because im that good, and people will want to get Wilson Rackets cause im using them)

I havnt seen a big gaming company sponser anyone on Youtube, i have however seen gaming equipment companies like Razor, Alienware, and Roccat.
A good tip in order to become popular on youtube is to play with another famous youtuber.

Offline Icarus

• Major
  • Groupfighting Admin, Tyrant of the old 1stKGL
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ex 91st_LCpl_Matthew_Young
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 04:41:23 pm »
i has partnership with machinima :3

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 05:26:11 pm »
Please get me in contact with them babez thx :D

Offline Death by EMP

• Major
  • Crunch, forever and always
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CRUNCH
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 04:39:48 pm »
Please get me in contact with them babez thx :D
Seriously don't. Legally, Matty wouldn't be able to talk trash about Machinima (if he was telling the truth about his partnership, idk his Youtube channel), but every story I've heard about Machinima and their partner program has been awful, and they try at every corner to dick their partners over (See Linkthe1st, DSP (Even though he is cancer) and the recent scandals with them partaking in shady activity which bordered being illegal) that is my red flag. If I were approached today by Machinima about a partnership, I personally would turn it down and never look back, there are much better opportunities out there and communities to immerse yourself in, it doesn't always have to be about the money (and speaking of which, Machinima is pretty measly pickings compared to other partner programs).

That leads to my next bit of advice, to me it seems you mostly want to get in this for the Youtubezzz Moneyzzzz, which I would never advise. If you don't do this as a passion and enjoy it as just that, a hobby, more than likely, you will never stick around enough to get to that ideal partnership. But I'm going to assume you genuinely enjoy being an entertainer, and give you some tips.

I'm not sure what kind of partnership you are talking about (doesn't seem like you do either) so I'm just going to start with the "real" partnerships. From what I've been told by friends who actually have managed to get partnered and from what I've heard by other Youtubers I follow is basically this: treat applying for a network like you are applying for a job. The most important thing when you go in for a job interview is the first impression. What any business class will tell you is that 9/10 times if your possible employer's first impression of you is bad, you will not get the job, even if your actual interview is good. So basically, don't apply for a partnership with the mindset "Oh I only have 200 subscribers and 9,000 total views, but when I tell the network what I can bring to the table and the promises I will fulfill, they will have no choice but to take me in!", take your time and build up your channel, you want to make a great first impression, for guaranteed success, and that doesn't just mean sub counts, you want to make sure you are producing HD content, this day and age SD is unacceptable, you want to have professional editing, no Windows Movie Maker nonsense, networks want to see that you have invested time and money into your channel, as anyone would do in their hobby. For example, I have dropped more than 500 dollars on my recording and livestream sessions alone, and I don't make a single penny off of it, it's just something I have discovered has been lots of fun and I would like to invest my time and money into. If you want help with tech recommendations or program recommendations, I'm your guy, by the way.

One more important thing is networking, and rather than explain, I will just give you an example close to home. I know you are familiar with Diplex, and you may or may not be familiar with SpeirsTheAmazingHD, but long story short, a few years back, Speirs was talking to Diplex about video production and Diplex got him interested in it and helped him kickstart his channel, fastforward to today (2 years later? correct me if I'm wrong if anybody knows) and according to Socialblade, Speirs now has 275,000 subscribers and is in the top 2,000 channels in both subscribers and views on Youtube, and on top of that makes anywhere between $30,000 and $300,000 a year depending on his contract. If that is not evidence enough of the effectiveness and importance of networking, I don't know what is.

Now, if you were referring to review copies like you mentioned, that's a much easier scenario. Simply said, have a professional review system with examples to back it up (build a portfolio to be proud of, basically) and apply to any company requesting a review code (in a professional manner) and more than likely, if you have work to show for it, you will get the code. Bigger companies are tougher nuts to crack, but for instance, Paradox is a nice company to ask for smaller channels, they are a lot more friendly to the press, little or big, I have a friend who got a Warband review code back in the day with only 400 subs, plus a subscription system where they would basically give him codes he requested without question as long as he didn't upset them, break contract or use the code maliciously (not reviewing or reporting on, instead just having it for getting a free copy). Most of the non-reviewers you see get review copies are either gifted them by the dev for free advertisement or tied by a contract (paid advertisement), but generally speaking, if you aren't a part of the press, you're less likely to be given review codes. I'll recommend you to Gamersgate's press program, which basically gives you review codes on a weekly mailing list given to Gamersgate by companies willing to trust them with finding press to deliver the codes to, but again, make sure you have the work to show for it.

Hope this helps.

Also, it would be interesting to hear the input of the Youtubers among our community that have made it (Diplex - Machinima, MalakithSkadi - Maker (I think?), Eldergeek - Polaris), will keep an eye on thread.

Oh, and one more thing, this is definitely in the wrong place of the forums.

Offline Diplex

• Vital Supporter
  • Colonel Edward B. Fowler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 08:20:20 pm »
I am with Machinima today. The recently added me to the managed bucket, all after a fairly lengthy discussion. All networks have requirements, some less, some more. I am not sure what Machinima requires today, but I believe you need atleast 3 000 subscribers, and 10 000 monthly views. I am sure that some networks (equally big) require less. I got Lionheart signed with Machinima, and I helped Malakith get a foothold on YouTube. Contacts help, although I got on the train without any, it was easier back then.

Pro tip. Team up with other YouTubers to gain their subscribers (mutual gain) or cover really popular games/really unknown games in order to get some action.

Good stuff to have before starting.

Quality microphone and recording device. (Fraps or some sort of hardware, depending on if you play console or PC)

Enthusiasm! I have seen plenty of people try, but you wont get anywhere sounding bored. If it helps, increase the sugar levels in your body before making videos.

Professional titles, thumbnails and video descriptions.

All this matters.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:27:30 pm by Diplex »