Author Topic: Are any of you dissatisfied with line battles?  (Read 8608 times)

Offline Aiello

• Donator
  • I like what I'm reading.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Are any of you dissatisfied with line battles?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 05:25:43 pm »
I recall maybe about a year ago when North and South was going strong in North America, the Federal Army held events where one side had an overall commander. That commander would relay orders to regimental leaders via whispers and/or team chat and they would more or less carry them out. This made for some very spectacular scenarios where it truly felt your regiment was part of a bigger engagement and has a role in the overall plan to win.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:19:11 pm by Aiello »

Offline Chadric

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 05:46:03 pm »
I recall maybe about a year ago when North and South was going strong in North America, the Federal Army held events where one side had an overall commander. That commander would rely orders to regimental leaders via whispers and/or team chat and they would more or less carry them out. This made for some very spectacular scenarios where it truly felt your regiment was part of a bigger engagement and has a role in the overall plan to win.

The DA and UA still do this on North and South, honestly ITS SO DAMN GOOD. Don't get me wrong it still has its down side IE people not hearing orders or completing them wrong but being a Brig Gen in the DA i can say it is a lot better than just loose organization of a bunch of regiments taking advantage when they can of what other regiments do its them working together to get the enemies into traps, cross firing, flanking and working together. Its a lot of fun really. Also a while back the DA and UA did a 100 V 100 line which was pretty damn epic. Ended with the Confeds charging straight into the enemies after a volley and a MASSIVE melee (sorry i can't find the video right now but it is out there) somehow we rebs won to :) . Anyway to the point yes it is great to work together and i wish more people would do it but sadly a lot won't :( that is why I went to NaS

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 05:57:02 pm »
I remember in MM events and some early NW events eager community members offering to lead pubbie regiments to get new people interested in the organised side of things. It is a good idea to keep doing it.

I also sincerly state to all admins, gently encourage line to stay together and work together. Encourage people to guard and let the artillery set up too. Line battles are much more fun when people in and outside regiments work together in winning.

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 10:12:50 pm »
another striking thing is to watch how people choose to play this game in pub servers, its like a ramboy ffa. The way ppl play it would seem that red orchestra or COD would be a more suitable way of doing this, why subject yourself to 13 second reload times when your certinly arnt going to volley fire or anything.

But yes i would support any and all community attempts to organize and establish right minded line battle arrangements, and for all who disagree that we should continue bad habits, to form and work together on this. having 100 vs 100 events shouldnt stop us either. A smaller quantity of larger units is what the community needs, not countless little regiments illy lead and poorly maintained.  Even a line with 20 deployed men could come close to portraying the actions of an assembled company so long as it knows and practices proper doctrine.

Offline Siwi

• Donator
  • Where is BCoF
    • View Profile
  • Nick: -|- Where is BCoF -|-
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 10:57:24 pm »
I'm wondering how an event with forced marching would go. You must march in formation (double rank) and you can only run when the charge order is given. People will die, targets will be bigger, but both teams will have forced double lines marching, so people won't feel they have to single line in order to not get raped.
Quote from: George W. Bush on 9/11
Battle Cry of Freedom was an inside job
NW Leaderboards
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
NA_Groupfighting

Check out the site

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 10:59:49 pm »
It would certainly be interesting to try, although you'd have to call in some fairly well disciplined regiments. I imagine that people would rather the event was kept to one or two rounds as well, as anything more might drag it on for far too long.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 11:04:34 pm »
We used to do a realism event, you were supposed to fight in double, remove banners and reticle, and March around, I thought it was really neat.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Madbull

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_Grd_Madbull
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 11:05:47 pm »
We used to do a realism event, you were supposed to fight in double, remove banners and reticle, and March around, I thought it was really neat.

Good ol days  :'(

Offline Gurkha

• Lieutenant General
  • Former 33rd LtCol
    • View Profile
    • Official 33rd Regiment of Foot Website
  • Nick: Gurkha
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 11:11:31 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8mPFHAoAdU[/youtube]

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 11:55:18 pm »

:o :o

I didn't know we recorded this! I was the drummer! This is the best thing ever! OMG.
Pointy stick champion

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 08:00:17 am »
Marching in this game would be more appealing if the walking animation didn't look like a drunken penguin.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Siwi

• Donator
  • Where is BCoF
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 09:13:47 pm »
Why did the front line not crouch? I feel like that would be way cooler
NW Leaderboards
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
NA_Groupfighting

Check out the site

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 12:30:23 am »

now that looks like the right idea, very nice

Offline Siwi

• Donator
  • Where is BCoF
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 06:43:14 pm »
May I ask how you removed the reticles and enforced that? Did you just have people replace a file and trust them to do it?
NW Leaderboards
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
NA_Groupfighting

Check out the site

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 07:10:30 pm »
It was a trust thing.
Pointy stick champion