Poll

What do you think of a composure system?

It'd be a great idea!
I like the idea
Eh, I don't really mind either way
I don't think it'd be a good idea
No, no, no, HELL NO

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Composure System  (Read 4642 times)

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
  • Side: Union
Re: [Suggestion] Composure System
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 06:49:25 pm »
I think if they make the game well enough, you will get this feeling anyway. I remember firt time playing MM years ago, I was very nervous and I remember my first volley, it was very exciting.

I personally don't think there should be in game bonuses or stuff like that, it should be up to a play how to feel. A cannon ball explosion could be very loud and/or could disorient your view for a few seconds so you get a feeling of being nearly killed.

And with playing exprience rather than character exprience, veterans of the game could be more valued as a good veteran would stand firm and don't be nervous while in a fight while a new soldier would be.

PS: Im very tired so I probably explained this very badly, but I hope you guys get what I meant.

Offline Danik

• First Lieutenant
  • Better than Justin Bieber since 1960
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 02:16:11 am »
It sounds somewhat unnecesary, as composure already has an effect on the player IRL; when you are suddenly being attacked or is being aimed at, the chance is that you will start to panic and lose concentration. However an experienced player would try to have situation under control. That in itself is a natural skillbased composure system - implenting another one in-game would break it.

Maybe some kind of a light version of shell schock/sound effects would fit, but please don't bring in too many psychological factors.

Offline Von Alten

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »
very good idea clearly , I approve!
I'm bullying you, 14e became master on bullies

14e_SoP_Alten | 2pp_Fiz_Alten | 1oCaz_Cpl_Alten

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 10:29:39 am »
Maybe bullet-whizz sounds this time round that you can hear the bullets crack past your head if they pass close by?

I think Olaf mentioned that this is now possible with the new engine. In NW you only hear the bullets if they impact close by I believe.

I am just wondering if that might be sufficient enough to make the player feel threatened...

What about a simple screen shake that happens if a bullet passes close by? Alternatively the new exhaustion and stamina system might be affected meaning that instead of your aim or view being affected it could just affect your stamina which in turn affects your running time I assume.

This would sort of correspond to your fear launching your heart rate up and maybe making it difficult to run although adrenaline in real life would have varying effects however.

Some people will run or feel paralyzed while others will feel calm and like they have all the time in the world (the last one I know can happen due to a family member who was in a visibly life threatening situation within a warzone who reported feeling that strange sensation).

What does adrenaline do?
Physically, adrenaline increases your heart rate, raises your blood pressure, and is associated with a diversion of blood away from certain areas of your brain and internal organs and into your muscles. As a result, adrenaline has the ability to increase speed and strength. It also decreases how much people feel pain. A large amount of adrenaline released into your system all at once causes what is often called an adrenaline dump, rush, or surge. All of these effects are designed to prepare your body to either run away or to fight.

What does an adrenaline surge feel like?
Adrenaline can make you feel energized, or it can make you feel shaky, weak or sick to your stomach. Sometimes all of these feelings come at the same time, which can be confusing. Results of an adrenaline surge might also include:
• feeling as though time has slowed down.
• tunnel vision, you only see what is in front of you and not what is around you.
• a sensation of your mind wandering or floating, making it hard to concentrate.
• decreased coordination.
• difficulty in thinking clearly.

http://www.realfighting.com/adrenaline_rbd.php

Or the sounds around you could be dampened to a really quiet amount as you listen to your heart beat...

Or maybe it could any of the above which randomly happen, perhaps even vomiting in mid-battle.

The problem is how to make any of these mechanics not interfere with the enjoyment of the game? D:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:42:17 am by Rejenorst »
Spoiler

[close]

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 09:48:04 pm »
Bump for discussion.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.