Author Topic: Reenactment Discussion  (Read 311666 times)

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Reenactment Discussion
« Reply #1350 on: August 30, 2013, 03:45:33 pm »
Just got home from New Jersey, Guess where I was two days ago?

Heres a hint

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1351 on: August 30, 2013, 04:06:28 pm »
Where there even battles in New Yersey?

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 30, 2013, 04:09:35 pm »
Where there even battles in New Yersey?

Sure there are. Revolutionary Battlefield though. Battle of Trenton, Princeton, Washington Crossing.

But Gettysburg was only 3 hours away.................Yeah the picture you are looking is the the confederate perspective of Pickett Charge. I walked across the field. Quite a walk.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: August 30, 2013, 04:16:33 pm »
I KNEW it was Gettysburg. It confused me you said New Yersey.

And I meant CW battles. Not that I could name a Revolutionary battle in that specific state  :P

Funny you realized how big the battlefield was. In Waterloo it's the other way round
If you ever find yourself visiting the Waterloo battlefield, don't be mistaken - the battlefield REALLY was that small. Hard to believe more then 200.000 men marched and fought across such a tiny area. I could hardly imagine it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:19:09 pm by Duuring »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 30, 2013, 04:19:55 pm »
I KNEW it was Gettysburg. It confused me you said New Yersey.

And I meant CW battles. Not that I could name a Revolutionary battle in that specific state  :P

If you ever find yourself visiting Waterloo, don't be mistaken - the battlefield REALLY was that small. Hard to believe more then 200.000 men marched and fought across such a tiny area.

New Yersey, I think i like that spelling better. 

There was no civil war battlefield in New Jersey so you are thinking correct. 

So I have been told, I also remember that the layout was different due to that giant hill for a Dutch prince? I doubt ill have time to go to Waterloo, however I wonder if there is any napoleonic battlefield near Nuremburg or Berlin? Or even Prague?

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1355 on: August 30, 2013, 04:27:13 pm »
You're talking aboot the Lion Mound I think, a monument Wellington himself said ruined the battlefield. As for battles near those places its very likely I think, Berlin may have some stuff since Napoleon captured it in 1806.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: August 30, 2013, 04:36:06 pm »
The campaigns of 1805, 1806 and 1813 were fought around there, so after some research I'm convinced you'll find something.

It's undeniable that the Ridge on which the allied army was deployed was messed up due to the construction of the Butte de Lion. However, I must remind all of you, the Butte is not a monument solely dedicated to the Prince (Even though people, especially Brits, like to say it was), it's simply built on the spot where he was wounded. The monument is dedicated to the participation of the NL troops, from the highest general to the lowest private, Dutch, Belgian or Nassau. Besides, it's gives a great view over the battlefield.

The construction of the tram line (Not sure when that happened) also did a major contribution to the destruction of the ridge, which is often forgotten. The rest of the battlefield, by the way, is still in good shape. Minus Hougoumont of course, which is falling into ruins but which will be repaired. So they say.

Talking about monuments, the British truly have no right of talking. They smacked the battlefields and even the walls of Hougoumont full with monuments dedicated to British soldiers, even though the British were a minority of the defenders farmhouse. It was largely defended by Germans (Including the 1st battalion of the 2nd Nassau Regiment), but that's of course carefully ignored.

a monument Wellington himself said ruined the battlefield

Is it actually proven he said that? As far as I know it only shows up in a book by Victor Hugo.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: August 30, 2013, 04:36:50 pm »
Good sewing job. How's the fit of the feldbluse? Also, you should get a collar bind?

Fits good enough, bit big and arms bit long. i am looking into getting a collar bind, but BFC seem not to have use them, often had the collar undone anyway

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: August 30, 2013, 04:51:54 pm »
I doubt ill have time to go to Waterloo, however I wonder if there is any napoleonic battlefield near Nuremburg or Berlin? Or even Prague?

Dennewitz (ca 80 km) and Großbeeren  (ca 25 km) are near to Berlin, but most battlefield in germany changed a lot, because we had a battle near everywhere so we couldn't live adn work there no more if we keep all the battlefields historical   ;) There are serveral battles of other time periods near the citys you want to visite. But Nürnberg is - with or without battlefieldseeing - a good trip, because of its history from '33 to '45 and the time after the war(Reichsparteitage, Nürnberger Prozesse,....). The city is very interesting too because it was fully destroyed in WW2 by your guys (  ;) ) and then rebuilded like it was before

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: August 30, 2013, 04:53:41 pm »
Western Europa is just one big battlefield.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: August 30, 2013, 05:09:15 pm »
Id definately like to see some ww2 era stuff around Germany. I was just not sure because you know, some folks are uncomfortable having stuff from the Reich being left around. Or I have totally misjudged Europe lol.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 30, 2013, 05:12:36 pm »
That's mostly Germany. In the rest of Europa (Germany too, by the way, just less) you'll find plenty of monuments dedicated to WWII events, soldiers and civilians. In fact, there's one just three kilometer from my house, where British paratroopers landed during the Liberation  :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:14:51 pm by Duuring »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 30, 2013, 05:17:59 pm »
That's mostly Germany. In the rest of Europa (Germany too, by the way, just less) you'll find plenty of monuments dedicated to WWII events, soldiers and civilians. In fact, there's one just three kilometer from my house, where British paratroopers landed during the Liberation  :P

oh that's cool. I'll keep my eye out for those stuff. And My dad got a bunch of locals working with him about art and stuff. Maybe i can ask them about napoleonic stuff. I will check out what Wolff just said earlier. 

of course, i am sure there is plently in paris? No?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: August 30, 2013, 05:35:16 pm »
Museums (With obvious fake replicas) etc, yes. Even the tomb of Napoleon. Can't visit Paris without visiting that...

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 30, 2013, 07:24:21 pm »
there is a lot about ww2 in germany. You can see a lot of museums dealing with the war, the holocaust or the aftermath. You can also see a little monument for the in ww1/ww2 fallen soldiers in every town