Author Topic: Reenactment Discussion  (Read 310752 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Reenactment Discussion
« Reply #1200 on: August 06, 2013, 12:43:08 pm »
I tend to reserve the word 'we' for groups that actually include myself.

That's what I try to do, but I can't help but ship myself to the general group of 'The Dutch'. Not always appropriate, I know, which is why I try to stop doing that.

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1201 on: August 06, 2013, 04:14:32 pm »
Could you 21e guys give me some interesting history of the 21e I could put on my thread. Something like an paragraph or more long account of a battle or action. Something like the 84e's history on their thread.
If you visit the 21e reenactment group website you can see all our history there.

http://caporalfourrier.page.tl/A-Brief-History-of-the-Regiment.htm

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1202 on: August 06, 2013, 06:10:35 pm »
I was typing this 2-3 am. You'll have to exsuce me. I was tired and lazy. I didnt mean to make myself as one of thoes guys at all.

Duuring the Union Army and American terrian is different from Europe. We have hotter climate in the south. In the winter, it doesnt snow in the South. It get down to 50-60's. So, a blanket and tent would be comfortable. Plus big cities are not so big enough to fit two armies. America was still young.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 06, 2013, 06:52:58 pm »
I was typing this 2-3 am. You'll have to exsuce me. I was tired and lazy. I didnt mean to make myself as one of thoes guys at all.

Duuring the Union Army and American terrian is different from Europe. We have hotter climate in the south. In the winter, it doesnt snow in the South. It get down to 50-60's. So, a blanket and tent would be comfortable. Plus big cities are not so big enough to fit two armies. America was still young.

Oh don't worry, as far as I concerned you didn't act like 'one of those guys'.  ;)

I know the terrain is different, but that has little to do with it. The Waterloo campaign was fought in the summer, though it wasn't a very hot summer. Whether it was warm, hot, snowy or raining, officers preferred to storage their men in houses then to make camp. For one, it kept them together and easier to collect. Two, there was no need to make camp, which took time and effort.

I think the major problem was indeed too few houses, but I can't believe that they didn't occupy houses that were perfectly available. It makes no sense. What's easier then walking in a house, put your blanket on the ground and sleep?  :P

During the invasion of France, the high concentration of men which all marched on the same road meant that they had the same problem - too few houses, too many men. Add to this the fact that Wellington always gave British troops the honour of marching first, which meant that they were always first in the houses and first at the food, and you can understand why Dutch troops had quite enough of the British, the invasion and war all-together. They were glad to return in December.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 06, 2013, 07:55:42 pm »
now ofcourse in ACW the big brass got the houses  :P
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 06, 2013, 08:00:35 pm »

I suppose you aren't referring to the musicians who play tubas?

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 06, 2013, 08:34:11 pm »

I suppose you aren't referring to the musicians who play tubas?

yes yes i was  :P
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 06, 2013, 08:47:15 pm »
Now that's brilliant...

Now that we hit that subject, people may guess how many regiments/battalions had brought their regimental musicians (Not counting drummers and fifers, just the band) with them on the Waterloo campaign.
Take into consideration there were a total of 41 battalions or regiments in the invasion army active during the campaign (If I'm not mistaken. I just did a quick count).

The winner gets one internet cookie! The one who also guesses WHICH unit/units gets my ever-lasting love and appreciation. Of course, if there are any...maybe there weren't any?

More on topic, has anyone ever understood why people re-enact bandsman? Drummers and fifers, okay, but what's the fun playing a big tuba in the middle of a battlefield?  :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:50:06 pm by Duuring »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: August 06, 2013, 10:28:20 pm »
Cant answer that question, i know zip about waterloo. Except the British were bit selfish with the glory.

But for reenacting as musician. I can say that people who are musicians in real life having opportunity to play insturment in battle probably is cool for them. Drumming and bugle are kinda important for us. And they normally assign to kids who cant fire a gun but a opporunity to see a battle up close and beat the drum like a boss.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 06, 2013, 10:42:10 pm »
Drumming is even more important to Napoleonicers who, if you'll forgive me for saying so, tend to be a lot more strict on proper marching. During Wavre all the drummers were bunched together in one big band during the march, which sounded awesome.

The kids-musician thing happens a lot here too, though we seem to have an equal share of adult musicians. Also, fifers. Lots and lots of fifers.  :P

Bugles/trumpets are only for the light infantry and the cavalry, and it's great to see that there are plenty of groups portraying that vital role in the hobby :) I once tried learning the fife, but I simply haven't got the patience for that.  :P

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #1210 on: August 06, 2013, 10:54:00 pm »
Riddlez would love to master scottish snare drums =D
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 06, 2013, 10:55:35 pm »
Well what's keeping you back? JOIN NOW! (The 92nd, that is)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #1212 on: August 06, 2013, 11:01:56 pm »

What's keeping me? Other activities. No time for re-enectment, If you meant that.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: August 06, 2013, 11:10:13 pm »

What's keeping me? Other activities. No time for re-enectment, If you meant that.

Pls. Who needs a life?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: August 07, 2013, 01:06:33 am »
Good god, it's a Re-enactment picture of me that isn't awfully terrible!

Spoiler
[close]

Still a little bit, though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:10:04 am by Duuring »