Author Topic: Reenactment Discussion  (Read 311648 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Reenactment Discussion
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2013, 09:23:52 am »
Just tell people it's bone. Rare for military buttons, but not unheard of. After all, being able to bullshit your way out of mistakes is pretty well an essential skill for reenactors, isn't it?

I will, but it's a completely unnecessary addition to the uniform as far as I can tell.

For faaaaaarrrrbs. "Hurr hurr, if they had it they'd have used it!"

God, we made that joke a lot.  :o

Nice vid Zac. I'm once again not in it, though  >:(

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2013, 07:25:09 pm »
doublepost, doublepost.

I thought, I'd share some pictures of the re-enactment. Made by Boatswain Eric of the sailor crew (the guys in blue with the flag). They re-enact 1800ish sailors, but luckily they survived another 14 years to help us  ;D

[close]

Forwaaaard...
[close]
March!
[close]

Charge...Bayonet!
[close]
To the flag!
[close]

More to come...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:28:25 pm by Duuring »

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #242 on: March 25, 2013, 09:16:47 pm »
Just had a huge "HHHHNNNNNNGGGG" moment looking at those photos. Where a lot of guys in the pictures look great, there's just as many who look utterly disgusting with a few pieces that could be switched out or improved.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2013, 09:22:42 pm »
Just had a huge "HHHHNNNNNNGGGG" moment looking at those photos. Where a lot of guys in the pictures look great, there's just as many who look utterly disgusting with a few pieces that could be switched out or improved.

Could you be a LITTLE more specific? Keep in mind there are at least three first-eventers with borrowed gear.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:27:06 pm by Duuring »

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2013, 10:06:46 pm »
Modern footwear and gloves mostly. I have to say the greatcoated line on the other side of the flag has a stronger impression IMO.

The flag looks nylon, but with the filter it's hard to tell.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2013, 10:20:00 pm »
I spotted exactly one guy with gloves who look a little bit too modern, the naval officer.

Shoes differs. I went trough three pair in three events, then decided to offically fuck that part of my uniform. I've got shoes who look old but with modern souls.
Another problem with the shoes is that you're not allowed indoors with the nailshoes that were historicly worn.

The flag is nylon because they needed a quick non-regimental flag.

Anyway, saying people look utterly disgusting because of some shoes and a pair of gloves is a little bit harsh, don't you think? Don't forget we can't nilly-willy choose our uniformparts like most ACW can.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:40:26 pm by Duuring »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 25, 2013, 11:34:58 pm »
.. then decided to offically fuck that part of my uniform...
:) , same here, but under gaiters u really cant notice
Don't forget we can't nilly-willy choose our uniformparts like most ACW can.
quite true

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2013, 07:19:39 am »
Ye double post but worth it :)
Spoiler

[close]

cold, would like to wear the kilts  :o
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:36:12 am by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2013, 03:19:39 pm »
Well, I did repulse an assault of the 7de BvL with only a few guys next to me. I became a little bit reckless and jumped the barricade to persue them, and their veteran corporal would have cut me to bits with his sabre-briquet, had it been real  ;D SO I DESERVE THAT MEDAL.

Edit: And just to show how cold it was:

Spoiler
[close]

By the way, the event (Bathmen 2013) has been nicknamed Bathemgrad.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:50:47 pm by Duuring »

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2013, 07:42:05 pm »
Perhaps the wording of "utterly disgusting" was a bit harsh considering some of the shite I've seen.

However, I'm not a fan of the three yards rule or the 30 yards rule. Perhaps you should do some more shopping around for your period correct footwear if you keep getting cheap repros that will fall apart on you. Modern soles look gross.

I wouldn't excuse the nylon flag either. xD Better to go without than have something so strikingly modern, IMO.

Congratulations on the medal, haha! gib em da bayonert

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 26, 2013, 09:15:29 pm »
Perhaps the wording of "utterly disgusting" was a bit harsh considering some of the shite I've seen.

However, I'm not a fan of the three yards rule or the 30 yards rule. Perhaps you should do some more shopping around for your period correct footwear if you keep getting cheap repros that will fall apart on you. Modern soles look gross.

I wouldn't excuse the nylon flag either. xD Better to go without than have something so strikingly modern, IMO.

Congratulations on the medal, haha! gib em da bayonert

Landrik, there are a lot of people who DO wear the proper shoes, and some don't. Anyway, saying these people are utterly disgusting is completely idiotic compared to ACW, because damn, I've seen and heard some shit about ACW. Like the re-enactment of Gettysburg were people rode buses for a grand distance of 500 yards between camp and battle. We marched six kilometer in a small unhistorical 200-men re-enactment. In sensed temperatures as low as -15. Did you ever participate in a event with such low temperatures (and that's a serious question, not sarcasm)

Here are some other words you might find shocking of harsh:
Drill.
Proper marching.
Formations.

And the worst of them all: UNIFORMITY! TA TA TAAAAAAAAM!

Spoiler
Don't take it too serious, but I really think you shouldn't talk so harsh about us. Your gear is simply a lot cheaper and easier to get (not even pointing out the fact you have a bucket load of freedom), so you have less problems buying something historical which nobody sees.
[close]

Anyway:

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

And here is the grand link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lumiere.photos/WinterbivouacBathmen#

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2013, 12:57:41 am »
Landrik, there are a lot of people who DO wear the proper shoes, and some don't. Anyway, saying these people are utterly disgusting is completely idiotic compared to ACW, because damn, I've seen and heard some shit about ACW. Like the re-enactment of Gettysburg were people rode buses for a grand distance of 500 yards between camp and battle. We marched six kilometer in a small unhistorical 200-men re-enactment. In sensed temperatures as low as -15. Did you ever participate in a event with such low temperatures (and that's a serious question, not sarcasm)

Here are some other words you might find shocking of harsh:
Drill.
Proper marching.
Formations.

And the worst of them all: UNIFORMITY! TA TA TAAAAAAAAM!

If you're criticizing most ACW units, you're under the pretense that I don't already criticize them myself.

I already said using "utterly disgusting" was a bit harsh and untactful of myself. Don't bring it up again.

Uniformity, realistically, was one of the things the CSA couldn't dish out. Not enough supplies and too many men. You'd see different companies with different uniforms and a whole swath of civilian clothing in the mix. The Union don't have that excuse.

My company and regiment do march and drill well as do other units. I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm not a representative of ACW reenacting as a whole, so attacking me as such is a bit... much.

Sense ACW reenacting is mostly during the Summer. No. However, for WWII I've done 10 degrees with wind chill. Have you ever done a reenactment at 125 heat index? Or even 100 regular temperature? If so, hat's off to you. -12 sounds cold as shit.

I love doing long marches. I marched 18 miles forced march from Mississippi to Tennessee for the 150th of Shiloh. Thankfully I was in shape, because some guys weren't and didn't make it in time.

Those bus riders sound like they have piss for blood.

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #252 on: March 27, 2013, 01:16:53 am »
chill

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2013, 01:22:52 am »
^ i belive this has already been discussed,

btw great pics :)

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2013, 02:35:25 am »
Wish I had a card reader for my camera right now so I could post my newest photos. :/

#ballinonabudget