Author Topic: Acceptable accents for BCOF  (Read 13287 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Acceptable accents for BCOF
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2013, 04:09:29 pm »
Yeah, the Dutch, as I said, had presence in the war, some coming from Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin (There were Dutchmen in the 2nd Wisconsin, the famous Iron Brigade regiment). The Irish and German undoubtedly played the biggest part in the immigrant soldiers. There were entire Irish and German communities in the New England area, and they still exist today. Whole regiments of Irishmen and Germans were formed, as I said. It's funny, because now the largest Dutch communities in the US are in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Utah. :P Even so, they're hardly "Dutch" anymore.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2013, 05:05:25 pm »
The 25th Michigan had a full company out of 1st-generation Dutch immigrants, the 'Holland Rangers'. Not named after Holland the province, but after Holland, the cite in west-Michigan they came from. The city itself had been created in '54 when all the soldiers-to-be were small kids  :P

I think one of the reasons the Dutch went unnoticed is that to the average American, Dutch=German. There was a corps (the 12th?) made fully out of Germans, nicknamed...The flying Dutchmen...  :-\

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2013, 02:42:14 am »
Well, to be fair the Dutch are Germanic and the word 'Dutch' could simply mean 'German' into the 20th century.

Johannes Wagner was also dubbed 'The Flying Dutchman' despite being obviously German.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:44:53 am by Docm30 »

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2013, 01:10:31 pm »
I would understand the use for German and Irish accents since Irish and German soldiers played such a big role in the war, but getting accents for all minorities that helped support the war would be difficult to say the least. Quality over quantity.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:12:20 pm by Furrnox »

Offline Brewtifull

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2013, 01:09:59 am »
In my experience of doing such stuff, just don't go too extreme and you should be fine. What is your regular accent if you don't mind me asking? Mine is a very light midlands accent (English) but voice versatility usually stamps that out :)

:edit: after reading the thread I now understand you are asking generally and not for yourself :p
walk-in voice actors? Hah! Home studio for the win! :3
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:03:39 pm by Olafsonā„¢ »

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2013, 01:30:55 am »
Can we agree that there should be a zombie voice pack like in Saints Row 3?
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2013, 05:08:45 am »
In my experience of doing such stuff, just don't go too extreme and you should be fine. What is your regular accent if you don't mind me asking? Mine is a very light midlands accent (English) but voice versatility usually stamps that out :)

:edit: after reading the thread I now understand you are asking generally and not for yourself :p
walk-in voice actors? Hah! Home studio for the win! :3

It will be a mixed bag of voices and it will be tough going in terms of finding the appropriate voices.

There are a few resources at our disposal in terms of advertising on professional game voice acting web sites that feature voice actors from the Call Of Duty series to newspaper advertisements if needed.

This will be our recording program in terms of side by side options:

a)  Two studios will likely be recording on a set day: One in the UK and one in either Canberra or Sydney sometime beginning of next year. I can also book another studio I am comfortable with in Canada for individual recordings as I've dealt with them before and they have been pretty good and reliable and can FTP upload me the recorded files. I would only do this if there are enough voice actors in the area.

b)  Some voice actors will have their own semi-professional recording setups at their home (one voice actor I am dealing with is in this particular category)

c) Others I may attempt field recordings with (likely with a Yeti Pro and MD-421 microphone plugged into a DR-680 provided I can update my recording equipment in time (costs a pretty a penny (likely need 700 AUS dollars before I can upgrade effectively) and I am doing so independently of FSE as a contractor).

d) In some cases people will be/have been auditioning for parts. Those that we feel don't need any supervision we will book into studios in their area (I will likely skype call them and sort out the particulars of the actual acting and get them to make some notes to take with them and will give them the voice list spreadsheet). The studio we book will need to have an engineer on site and be able to transfer recordings to us (or the individual who is doing the voice acting). This is something we did with 2 of the NW voice actors previously.  This will be a likely option for extremely good U.S. based voice actors where we would be happy to go the extra mile to get professional recordings.

In any case I thought I would mention this since anyone is free to audition. If you want to audition then PM me and I'll send you my email address. The auditions won't require any professional recording equipment and I don't mind if the samples clip but I would expect you to record yourself yelling and acting out the following (in a similar style to NW voices):

Ready, Aim, Fire, Shoulder arms. (try to sound commanding as your shouting over enemy fire to be heard by men 10-30 meters away from you)
Don't shoot (surrender scared sounding)

Spoiler

[close]

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2013, 04:55:54 pm »
Can we agree that there should be a zombie voice pack like in Saints Row 3?
I find this an amusing idea but I think there would be to many annoying kids/trolls using it to troll people.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 08:18:12 pm »
I was Reading the memoirs by Sam Watkins titles "Company Aytch". He was in Co,h of the 1st Tenesse and he was detailed to sneak into the Union Camp in a Union uniform and gain intel. When he approached his first picket he asked what unit it was but all he heard was a bunch of words he didnt understand. He repeated the question enough to figure out that the whole picket were Dutchman that didnt speak any English xD
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:41 pm »
Where and when did this happen?

I wonder how he managed to understand they were Dutch and didn't assume they were German. Still, rather interesting. And important for possible re-enactment  :P

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2013, 11:42:25 pm »
Where and when did this happen?

I wonder how he managed to understand they were Dutch and didn't assume they were German. Still, rather interesting. And important for possible re-enactment  :P

Maybe he was properly educated? Not exactly uncommon for a man of higher rank...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2013, 12:21:36 am »
Where exactly is stated he was of higher rank?

Besides, Dutch wasn't really a language that anyone in the USA bothered to learn, besides the Dutch. I know the importance (or lack thereof) of my country in the 1860s. French and German, that was the shit. Russian, even. Not Dutch.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2013, 05:17:37 am »
Sam Watkins was  a Private for the 4 years of the war. Im not sure how he was able to identify the difference. He was pretty educated to write a whole memoir as well as he quoted many facts and examples from the Napoleonic Wars.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2013, 01:02:02 pm »
Sam Watkins was  a Private for the 4 years of the war. Im not sure how he was able to identify the difference. He was pretty educated to write a whole memoir as well as he quoted many facts and examples from the Napoleonic Wars.

Scholared family?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2013, 01:22:52 pm »

Eastern or Western theater? And doesn't it say when exactly, even a year or a month, this happened?