Author Topic: Acceptable accents for BCOF  (Read 13337 times)

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Spoiler

[close]

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Acceptable accents for BCOF
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 03:05:16 pm »
Ser a 2 reasons I vont to hev sis nais dshermen accent:

1.: I'm German. :D

2.: The biggest group of foreign soldiers were Germans. 1860 there lived 1.3 millions of in Germany born people in the USA. 50% of them were willing to fight in the war which was the biggest percentaged amount from all ethnic groups.

Du ez Germon, butz du kon not eben faik ein faik Germon akzent... Es ist sehr schlect, ja... schlect.

German needs to be in this game, for sure. Get a good voice actor for a German-American English accent. WOuld be awesome to hear, and I would like, totes... like, seriously use it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:06:50 pm by kpetschulat »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 06:34:20 pm »
There were also Dutch people... Pls no forget us.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 03:08:22 am »
The Dutch definitely had presence in the war, but nowhere near the Germans and the Irish. There were regiments made up entirely of Germans and Irish... The Italians, Spanish, and Swedish I'd say are just slightly above the Dutch.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 04:03:23 am »
Irish were in the war also. And Italians. And Polish. Hell there were even some North Africans fighting on both sides (As Zouaves too!).

The US Army was diverse to the point of insanity.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 07:06:09 pm »
I am not suprised why there weren't much Dutch there, useless shit war after all...
Nunc aut nunquam

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 07:17:40 pm »
I am not suprised why there weren't much Dutch there, useless shit war after all...

It's time to stop posting.

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 07:29:34 pm »

Why would you fight volunteerly to die which is not your cause...
Nunc aut nunquam

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 10:10:50 pm »

Why would you fight voluntarily to die which is not your cause...

1:

2. Then why were there irish there, and germans, and swedes, and a whole shite more?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 10:32:36 pm »
I expect that there will be a Canadian accent option.

In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 02:34:02 am »
The immigrants fought willingly for their new home, America. Unfortunately, the split in the nation caused Irish to fight against Irish, German to fight against German, etc., etc. It's a shame, really.

Offline beefprophet

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 05:16:21 pm »
One thing I would note is that Northern and Southern accents actually weren't that different before the war - it was following the Civil War that the southern accent began to develop its own identity, due to the tense relationship between the North and the South.

I know this might sound kinda silly, but if you do have a german accent could you have the immortal phrase: "gott shutze den Kaiser!" Yeah, I know it doesn't really have any real meaning in the Civil War but it would be a nice homage to the mod (and it would be funny to someone who isn't too fluent in German :P)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2013, 02:53:23 am »
"Gott mit Uns!" was the official battle cry of the 8th New York Volunteers. The regiment was entirely German, including the superior command staff.

8th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, "The German Rifles" They were the first designated "German Rifles." The 28th New York was the "Second German Rifles," and the 45th New York was the "Fifth German Rifles/Rangers." The 52nd New York was the "Third German Rifles." Idk where the 4th was, probabl a non-New York regiment.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:55:25 am by kpetschulat »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2013, 02:44:07 pm »
"Gott mit Uns!" was the official battle cry of the 8th New York Volunteers. The regiment was entirely German, including the superior command staff.

8th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, "The German Rifles" They were the first designated "German Rifles." The 28th New York was the "Second German Rifles," and the 45th New York was the "Fifth German Rifles/Rangers." The 52nd New York was the "Third German Rifles." Idk where the 4th was, probabl a non-New York regiment.

The 52nd were the Sigel Riflez.
The 68th were the 2nd Germa Rifles
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 03:35:11 pm »
There's a poem written by a Dutch-American during the war. I forgot how it went, but it ended with 'Op voor het Tweede Vaderland!', which means as much as 'Up for the Second Fatherland!'

Dutch immigrants saw, like many Germans and other immigrants, the USA as their new fatherland and wanted to fight for it. Them there are the obvious boredom/adventure reasons.

That being said, the Dutch contribution was small, alltrough we don't know the exact number. There certainly were thousands of soldiers with Dutch blood, but there's always the question when exactly someone stops being a Dutchman and becomes an American. Dutch immigration was centered around west-Michigan, by the way.