Author Topic: Crimean war (1854-1855) mod  (Read 144275 times)

Offline EdwardTheGreat

• First Lieutenant
  • Beest TuRd na
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Mod about Crimean war (1854-1855)
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 01:37:34 pm »
If you start out with two factions, I recommend france and russia since the uniforms are fairly primary.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ivkolya
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 03:28:07 pm »
If you start out with two factions, I recommend france and russia since the uniforms are fairly primary.
I'll make two factions to avoid playing such rounds as Britain vs. France on Sevastopol maps, 'cause it was not in history of this war. But it does not mean that it will be only two nations, there will be all main nations who took part in Crimean war and it will be proporttional.

Offline DanyEle

• FSE Associate
  • Sssh! I'm coding, don't disturb :D
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DanyEle
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 03:53:26 pm »
Putin approved.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 04:25:33 pm »
Putin approved.
He is in banlist of mod, he's an asshole.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 04:54:41 pm »
Added approximate list of units in first message

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 06:16:16 pm »
Realize what minor thing made NW work well: they had 5 factions, historically some allies, historically some enemies, but they could always be fighting against each other in any combination. It works well. Some events will likely want modern weaponry vs. modern weaponry, for example.

And if you're going to do it in the style of start with a few factions and add more later, like Iron Europe or MM did, make sure they're pretty flushed out factions, with some unit variety and balancing. Then, just model the other factions around them, more or less.

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:53 pm »
This actually looks pretty cool!

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 02:21:46 am »
You could talk to this guy about making some historically accurate units for the Ottomans. I mean, finding someone willing to make them is the toughest step. ::)

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=323747.0

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 07:10:36 pm »
Realize what minor thing made NW work well: they had 5 factions, historically some allies, historically some enemies, but they could always be fighting against each other in any combination. It works well. Some events will likely want modern weaponry vs. modern weaponry, for example.

And if you're going to do it in the style of start with a few factions and add more later, like Iron Europe or MM did, make sure they're pretty flushed out factions, with some unit variety and balancing. Then, just model the other factions around them, more or less.
You could talk to this guy about making some historically accurate units for the Ottomans. I mean, finding someone willing to make them is the toughest step. ::)

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=323747.0

Thank you for suggestion, but the main idea of this mod is to make something like 3D-reenactment or 3D-excursion of Sevastopol and Crimea in different days of that war - there are very detailled descriptions of russian and allied fortifications in all periods of siege of col. Totleben and others, so I want make maps like "Malachov Kurgan  in october 1854 before 1st bombing", "Alma positions on left flank", "4th bastion after 2nd bombing", "Malachov Kurgan in time of 1st assault" etc. So you can see, in that idea there is no place to "what if" scenarios  :)

Besides, if I'll make 5 factions replacing existing factions of NW and replacing NW uniforms with uniforms of 1854-1855, it will be another NW just with new uniforms, and who will want to play it, if you have already Napoleonic Wars and you don't need search and download extra mods for playing 5 factions in any combinations, you can make it in NW and there will be fun :)

I realize that Crimean war is not so interesting as Napoleonic wars or Civil War are (or anyway there are a lot of other more interesting mods with new features), and I doubt that I can do something so amazing new in gameplay, especially on my own, so this mod is rather for that people who just like history, or has interest in this war.
Of course, if I'm wrong and there will be big interest for epoque of 1850-s, it's not big deal to make more factions for each nation and there will be place to even keep this my "Allies" faction  ;)

This actually looks pretty cool!
Thanks!

Offline Alistair

• Sergeant Major
  • Your Shako wielding gentleman
    • View Profile
    • 33nd Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: 33rd_Pte_Alistair
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 11:22:20 am »
Please add the Connaught Rangers. :)

Offline GhostDog

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 07:56:21 pm »
I have always wanted Crimean war for nw. Thank you!!

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 03:48:07 am »
Please add the Connaught Rangers. :)
Okay

I have always wanted Crimean war for nw. Thank you!!
You're welcome :)

Offline Johann

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 07:10:07 am »
I feel offended about the Turkish units being "weak".

On a serious note, goodluck.

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
  • Nemo me impune lacessit
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Panini
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 07:44:12 am »
Remove kebab add genocide option so we can holocaust many kebab

Offline Bravescot

• The WoR Avatar Guy
  • Donator
  • The rank icon guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 04:47:28 pm »
One thing I want to point out are the weapons used by line infantry at the time. There were a couple of different rifles used in the Crimea and the issue is balance:
Britain: Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle-musket (rifled)
France: Pattern 1851 Minié rifle(rifled)
Russia: Models 1844, 45 and 55 percussion musket (Smoothbore) and some Pattern 1851 Minié rifle (rifled)
Ottomans: Models 1845 and 55 percussion musket (Smoothbore) and some Pattern 1851 Minié rifle (rifled)
Sardinia: Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle-musket and Pattern 1851 Minié rifle(both rifled)

As you can see the allied forces had more rifled weapons then the Russians had as the Russians of often only gave their foot guards the Minié rifle. This creates the obvious problem of the allies would have the advantage in a pitch gun battle due to their rifles. This would need to be carefully balanced so has to not under power the allies and not to over power the Russians.