Author Topic: Need Your Help  (Read 2332 times)

Offline The Rebel

• Major
  • Drew Lock has a horse cock
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 9/18/14 Never Forget
  • Side: Confederacy
Need Your Help
« on: September 09, 2016, 05:40:12 am »
Hello everyone. Really don't know if this is the correct strata I should be posting under or not, but I am in need of history buffs, especially ones on Napoleon. I am currently doing my Senior Thesis on Napoleon's Invasion of Russia and I was wondering and if anyone could give their insights, ideas of books or websites I should be looking at to help. Thanks so much!

Offline Tharan

• Donator
  • Owner of Sheb Kebab.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Need Your Help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 11:21:47 am »

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 06:19:11 pm »
Hello everyone. Really don't know if this is the correct strata I should be posting under or not, but I am in need of history buffs, especially ones on Napoleon. I am currently doing my Senior Thesis on Napoleon's Invasion of Russia and I was wondering and if anyone could give their insights, ideas of books or websites I should be looking at to help. Thanks so much!
This probably belongs on the Historical thread but I will try my best. I did my dissertation on Wellington in the Peninsula and Waterloo so I am more genned up on that era but I know a fair bit about the invasion of Russia.
For websites one of the best is this one:
http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/
It is very detailed and has loads of links.
  Book wise, Lefebvre did a rather large biography of Napoleon which may have some stuff in it. Looking through my library, there are some general ones such as 'European Armies and the Conduct of War'  by Hew Strachan and 'European Warfare, 1660-1815' by Jeremy Black. There was a new one out on Napoleon recently, my brother bought me a copy but I do not have it to hand at the moment.
  Are you concentrating more on Napoleon's involvement in the invasion? The reasons it failed?
EDIT: There is also this well known map showing the strength of his army throughout the campaign.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Minard.png
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 06:24:47 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Dort

• Corporal
  • Chief Diving Board Inspector 2k16
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Dorterino
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 06:41:58 pm »

Might be worth getting a copy of David Chandlers Campaigns of Napoleon, pretty sure the whole thing is on google books and is a well regarded piece on the Napoleonic Wars in general. Other than that, de Bourienne's memoirs of Napoleon are basically the go to source for getting the private opinions of both Napoleon and Bourienne, (a well respected if out of favour peer of Nap.) Hell if you need quotes on why the invasion failed check out Clauswitz and Jomini's theories of warfare, both take Napoleon as prime examples of both good and bad in the art of warfare and both served in some capacity during the Napoleonic Wars.

Side note: If you check out project Gutenberg and have a relatively decent grasp of French/Russian/German or a handy translation tool there is hundreds of memoirs from the time such as Marshals Macdonald and Oudinot, or for a more general overlook Marshal Marmont.

Hope this helped xoxox.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 07:04:44 pm »
I mean if you're wanting the help of people on FSE then I'd suggest going to the historical discussion section:
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?board=8.0
Other than that, if you're at college/university then check their collections, and don't forget that most will have access to online databases, journals etc. As long as you tell them it's for your senior thesis I'm sure they'll give you access if you don't already have it (which would surprise me).

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 01:05:16 am »
I am currently doing my Senior Thesis on Napoleon's Invasion of Russia
Read "Diary of a Napoleonic Foot Soldier". First hand account of the entire invasion from a German soldier fighting in Napoleon's Grand Armee & he took part in the invasion of Russia. My bf used it on his thesis for the French Invasion of Russia & got a 98 on it. I've read it as well, really good book.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 01:52:46 am »
i hear Wikipedia is a solid source
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 02:44:38 am »
Wikipedia is always great. Until you find people like us who leave shit like this, it has been on the 18e's wiki page for 3 years X)

Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 08:03:14 am »
Borodino, scorched earth tactics, and Winter pretty much.

Borodino makes for a very interesting topic. No signs of the tactical brilliance or killer instinct (think "One sharp blow and the war is over" at Austerlitz) that had defined Napoleon's decisive victories in past major engagements, just a simple all out attack against strong positions relying on simple brute force. A potentially decisive opportunity finally presented itself at the end of the day, the French offensive finally opening up a large hole in the Russian line (both armies now totally exhausted with the French Guard regiments the only force left capable of carrying out an attack with any vigor). Still Napoleon refused to grasp it, waving away numerous officers (and finally Ney) as they urged him to commit the guard and smash the Russian army in detail. Instead the Russians are able to hold out and withdraw in good order at nightfall.

Edit: Come to think of it, from the tactics down to Napoleon reportedly being ill there are quite a few similarities between Borodino and Waterloo.

Then of course there's Napoleon's second major (and extremely costly) mistake; waiting a month in Moscow for a surrender that wasn't coming. The only thing that could have saved his army post-Borodino would have been withdrawing to Poland upon finding Moscow a scorched ruin. The pause there was absolutely fatal.

Also if your school has access to academic websites, academic sources are always preferable. Google Scholar is a really good resource too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:08:34 am by junedragon »
Why am I still here

Offline Gamboji

• Donator
  • zZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 10:58:00 am »
Wikipedia is always great. Until you find people like us who leave shit like this, it has been on the 18e's wiki page for 3 years X)

Fixed.   ;)

Offline The Rebel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 05:17:07 pm »
I am currently doing my Senior Thesis on Napoleon's Invasion of Russia
Read "Diary of a Napoleonic Foot Soldier". First hand account of the entire invasion from a German soldier fighting in Napoleon's Grand Armee & he took part in the invasion of Russia. My bf used it on his thesis for the French Invasion of Russia & got a 98 on it. I've read it as well, really good book.
Have that book already, thank you so much!

Offline The Rebel

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 05:19:44 pm »
i hear Wikipedia is a solid source
top notch