Author Topic: Ultimate General: Gettysburg  (Read 6422 times)

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Ultimate General: Gettysburg
« on: June 13, 2014, 06:22:52 pm »
What is it?

Ultimate General: Gettysburg is a Tactical Battle Simulator that allows you to lead thousands of soldiers in the famous Battle of Gettysburg as commander of either the Union or Confederate army.

The game will feature the most accurately created map, detailed order of battle, complex morale, innovative control mechanics and smart AI.

You will have the freedom to use different strategies while the battle progresses. Your decisions and military performance play a crucial role in the result. Participate in the Gettysburg Battle and change history!

This game is available on Steam Early Access
Ultimate General: Gettysburg is developed by Game Labs and designed by Nick Thomadis, known for his successful and popular “DarthMod” series.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:00:36 pm by Dom13WorstNW »

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
Re: Ultimate General: Gettysburg *Released*
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 06:54:11 pm »
It seems fun, and with a very reasonable price tag.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:47:33 pm »
Loved the beta.. loving the early access now! :)

Playing the "campaign", I totally forgot that Ewells Corps arrived from the north-east. Now I have to retreat to gettysburg, to defend the town..  ???

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:49:35 pm by Hinkel »

Offline TWking

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 11:44:18 pm »
Game is excellent.
Played 1 game as the Union and am in the process of playing one as the rebs.
I have never been so satisfied of a game's release - ever. Seeing as most games nowadays have game breaking bugs the worst I've seen is text errors.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Death by EMP

• Major
  • Crunch, forever and always
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CRUNCH
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 12:53:37 pm »
Haven't picked this up yet, not a proponent of Early Access, but one thing that kind of bugs me, while minor, is that when you're choosing whether to play as Union or Confederate, a lot of generalizations are made, for instance it says Union has worse generals than the Confederates, which is true in many cases, but still, is a generalization, the Union had very skilled generals as well. Not sure if it actually effects gameplay or not, but I hope it doesn't, I think the general's bonuses or whatever should reflect their skills in real life, not a forced statistic according to allegiance.

It says this about troops in general too, for instance "Union troops have more discipline", again, it is entirely depending on the troops in particular, there was many disciplined units among the Confederate ranks, so this is widely a generalization.

Edit: fixed a typo, accidentally spelled confederates coonfederates LMAO, almost didn't want to fix it.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 05:24:45 pm »
Not the biggest fan of the guy due to his weird personality cult and one man war against CA, but I will give him props for putting his money where his mouth was and making a pretty damn good game.

Kind of sad now in retrospect for CA post RTW2 too :(.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 06:46:09 pm »
Not the biggest fan of the guy due to his weird personality cult and one man war against CA, but I will give him props for putting his money where his mouth was and making a pretty damn good game.

Kind of sad now in retrospect for CA post RTW2 too :(.
Don't you dare speak ill of our Lord and Master, DarthVooder. He shall slay all ze heathens from dis world
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 05:03:57 pm »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 08:57:46 am »
Been looking at getting this one. Is it worth it?
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Death by EMP

• Major
  • Crunch, forever and always
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CRUNCH
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »
Been looking at getting this one. Is it worth it?
Early Access is never "worth it", you're paying for an incomplete product. Good or not, if you want your purchase to be the most justified you would wait until the game is fully released and you get the full product. Keep in mind there was a time when you were paid for beta testing, not the other way around. Either way, it's up to you to decide whether you can justify paying for an incomplete product on the promise it will be finished. (See Early Access TOS) Projects like Towns will never be finished, and those who paid for Early Access will never have their purchase justified, they paid for a product with the promise it would be finished, and of course, now it never will be. That said, I doubt Darth would ever pull a stunt like that, but still, why not wait until it releases, or hell the upcoming Summer Sale even, it's not like they have indicated the price will go up when it leaves Early Access.

http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq/

When will these games release?

Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state.

Oh and here is a video my friend George made, it's on reviewing Early Access, not buying, but it deals with the same things mostly.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TeH8fXBkcM[/youtube]
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:30:45 pm by Death by EMP »

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 05:03:47 pm »
Patch 0.8

NEW FEATURES
Added unit grouping functionality
Use ctrl and drag area to select units then move them. Hold shortcut transferred to H key button.
You can also double click your General to select and move his units that are included in his command area.
You can assign groups by selecting units and clicking the “Group” button. In this build it is possible to make group for a single unit. This can help to make shortcuts for some of your important units or your generals (Please advise if you like this feature).
Clicking on a group and pressing Ctrl-Right click allows you to automatically arrange/rotate a simple formation for your unit group.
When you use formation you can see the future position of unit, with rectangle and facing indication. The unit facing indication is also available in the rotation gesture.
Added possibility to reassign various command buttons in settings.

This video shows briefly how group formations work in Ultimate General: Gettysburg

GAMEPLAY IMPROVEMENTS
AI fixes and various improvements make AI to keep better distance from player, make better lines and be a better opponent in all characters. Additional fixes will follow next week with your feedback.
Various changes made in battle balance and morale that affect the combat pace to be more realistic and slower as you requested. You will be able to keep your lines for longer, with no micromanagement and AI will desire to be more cohesive, use artillery more frequently to pound you from distance and then assault.
Terrain modifiers for speed are balanced better. Previously the unit movement penalties -for example when walking through forest- were very slight according to user feedback
Columns now have a slight speed bonus. Helps AI to maneuver faster and reinforcements to come in time.
Various changes in battle scenes of the 1st day.
Balanced battle duration to be a little less as needed (could increase the probability of unnecessary player waiting time or overwhelmed units to be cornered in the map and game not to stop).
Slocum and Stannard reinforcements now can arrive sooner which adds the necessary punch and “drama” for the Union army.
Some fixes in the battle flow and in cases where decision buttons would lead in wrong battle of 2nd day.
Friendly fire hold threshold balanced as part of better AI targeting, unit lines fixes, less frequent unnecessary rotation of your units, artillery management.
US vs CS combat balance improvement. The Confederates were slightly overpowered before, according to feedback.
Melee damage increased, especially against artillery.

PERFORMANCE
Performance and FPS improvement that is noticeable in big battles.

CONTROLS
The LoS of your selected unit (the area it can see) now endures more and is more evident as many users asked.

BUG FIXES
Fixed issue when game crashes in moment of any battle start. We added button to disable unit transparency for additional safety measure for those who still anticipate this problem until we fully fix the potential issue.
Units can no longer get stuck in borders.
Units now should retreat to much better directions. Before there was case that they could retreat in undesirable directions behind enemy lines.
Case of reinforcements freezing after loading game should now be fixed.
Uncontrollable units -that for example retreat- can no longer be selected.
Units freezing in retreat mode bug should be fixed. Please report if you anticipate this issue again.
Units becoming invisible bug is addressed. Please report if this happens again.
Bug reporter button fixes and improvements. Now it does better quality screenshots. Problem with missing logs is also fixed. Bug reporter doesn’t affect performance anymore.
Corrections in some main menu and battle description texts.

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 12:59:08 pm »
Ultimate General: Gettysburg Patch 0.81 rev4590

http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/ultimate-general-released-2ndpatch

Ultimate General: Gettysburg Patch 0.82 rev4685

http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/ultimate-general-released-3rdpatch

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 06:10:37 pm »
I love this game. Brilliant AI which actually makes you think and gives you a challenge alongside a really nice and unique art style. I love the way you move your units around. Very easy to move them around and re-position them. I can't really find any faults in the game. It crashes if I tab out but it is still early on in development and bugs are being fixed. A real bargain price too for what you get I think. It's a must have even if it is early access.

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 06:26:35 pm »
Ultimate General: Gettysburg Patch 0.83 rev4756

4th patch fixing the battle sequence till 3rd day

Ultimate General: Gettysburg Patch 0.845

New update with better menu background, AI improvements and other changes

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General