Poll

Do you think saber briquets should do more damage?

Yes.
No.
No but make them faster.

Author Topic: A point on bayonets and shortswords/saber-briquets  (Read 16030 times)

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Dionysus
  • Side: Neutral
Re: A point on bayonets and shortswords/saber-briquets
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2013, 12:50:19 am »
You are mentally insane or extremely unintelligent if you think those giant cavalry cleavers weigh 3 pounds.

Wha? How is a sword 20-40 pounds? The really heavy ones might get up to 15 pounds, but no more than that. A good swordsman can use a sword like that at that speed, or even quicker. That is completely ignoring the fact that swords would be immensly useless if they were slowed down.

Don't make excuses for blowing at sword combat, they have 2 MORE attack directions than bayonets. Yes slow them the fuck down.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:03:45 am by Dionysus »

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 01:07:09 am »
Its fact my friend, look it up. Swords should not be slowed down, they're already unrealistically weak.

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 01:08:15 am »
Its fact my friend, look it up. Swords should not be slowed down, they're already unrealistically weak.

Clearly you're biased towards swords. So you can't even be taken seriously especially when you think cavalry sabers weigh less than 5 pounds.

Edit: Also, I did look up the weight of cavalry sabers and infantry sabers from multiple different websites.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:24:40 am by Dionysus »

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 01:54:57 am »
You're a real muppet, you know?

The British 1796 light cavalry sabre weighed 0.78 kilograms (1.71 pounds). The French Year XI light cavalry sabre weighed 1.20 kilograms (2.64 pounds). Heavy cavalry sabres tended to weigh slightly more, usually in the order of about a half a pound at most.

There are still thousands of these things around. It's not hard to find out how much they weigh.

If you've ever handled a real sabre, you'd know you can swing one around like your hand was empty.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:57:17 am by Docm30 »

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2013, 02:02:26 am »
You're a real muppet, you know?

The British 1796 light cavalry sabre weighed 0.78 kilograms (1.71 pounds). The French Year XI light cavalry sabre weighed 1.20 kilograms (2.64 pounds). Heavy cavalry sabres tended to weigh slightly more, usually in the order of about a half a pound at most.

There are still thousands of these things around. It's not hard to find out how much they weigh.

If you've ever handled a real sabre, you'd know you can swing one around like your hand was empty.

Dunno what kind of fake swords you've been swinging, must of been made of plastic if you think its like an empty hand.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2013, 02:05:48 am »
Steel, actually. 2 pounds is only heavy if you have a biceps like a new-born.

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2013, 02:06:43 am »
Steel, actually. 2 pounds is only heavy if you have a biceps like a new-born.

Or Mr.Universe like yourself sitting on your computer right? Good condescending comment, but not witty enough to impress.
Edit: As for future reference I'm not going to comment on this particular topic any longer, nor do I need to get talked back to by a pubescent who thinks hes a weapons master.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:10:26 am by Dionysus »

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2013, 02:19:25 am »
You really are stubborn aren't you? You've been presented with clear, indisputable facts and won't admit that you've been soundly beaten. I personally own a French light cavalry saber, the pattern that the French hussars in NW wield, and it is superbly easy to handle and weighs 2 pounds 5 ounces.  I also own an 1840 US heavy cavalry saber and while it is noticeably heavier, it still doesn't break 3 pounds.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2013, 02:20:00 am »
Ah, the old 'I've been proven wrong but refuse to admit it so I pretend like I'm being treated poorly' routine. A classic, hell I've used it before.

Before you start slandering me, let's remember who called someone "mentally insane or extremely unintelligent" for stating an objective fact.

For your information, I am currently hold a two pound steel arming sword (well, technically it's resting on my shoulder as I type) and can swing it around with absolute easy, even though it's a fairly poorly balanced one.

Here is a source for the weight of the 1796 sabre, and here is one for the An XI sabre.

By the way, 'pubescent' means adult.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:21:52 am by Docm30 »

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2013, 02:23:26 am »
I lied, I'll reply to say this.

1) I'm talking in game mechanics of sword feinting speed being to fast, then somehow went off topic talking about real life weapon weights.
2) Pubescent does not mean adult but good try.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2013, 02:31:18 am »
You try moving a 20-40 pound mostly steel weapon like that without hurting yourself.

You were the one that brought up real life weapon weights. You suggested that the in-game speeds should correspond to their real life counter-parts.

Also, 'pubescent' means someone that was reached puberty, as in adulthood. It's from the Latin 'puber' meaning 'adult'.

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2013, 02:33:52 am »
You try moving a 20-40 pound mostly steel weapon like that without hurting yourself.

You were the one that brought up real life weapon weights. You suggested that the in-game speeds should correspond to their real life counter-parts.

Also, 'pubescent' means someone that was reached puberty, as in adulthood. It's from the Latin 'puber' meaning 'adult'.

1) I already said I brought it up, stay on track please I know where going fast for your wee little brain.
2) So a 17 year old boy who reaches puberty is an adult. Good fucking logic genius.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 02:38:02 am »
Biologically, an adult is a human being or other organism that is of reproductive age.

I know I'm pressing the wrong issue here, but I really feel this has to be resolved.

Could you also please make up your mind about if I'm a logical genius or a pee-brained imbecile. Your contradictory statements are confusing my wee little brain.

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 02:40:31 am »
Biologically, an adult is a human being or other organism that is of reproductive age.

I know I'm pressing the wrong issue here, but I really feel this has to be resolved.

Could you also please make up your mind about if I'm a logical genius or a pee-brained imbecile. Your contradictory statements are confusing my wee little brain.

By that logic a 10 year old girl who is capable of reproducing is to be considered an adult and not taboo to conceive with a 50 year old man.

There is a place for people like you, its called prison.

Also, The proper definition of pubescent: Relating to or denoting a person at or approaching the age of puberty. Directly from google. It doesn't say a person who has finished puberty.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:42:21 am by Dionysus »

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy