Author Topic: Prussian infantry/rifle regiments  (Read 2901 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
Prussian infantry/rifle regiments
« on: April 17, 2013, 05:06:38 am »
I was wondering, could anybody give me a list of Prussian landwehr units from around 1796-1800? And what were rifle regiments in the Prussian army like? Can anybody give me a list of Prussian rifle units from around 1800-1814, where were they stationed/what kind of reforms and battles did they experience? After I've gathered the information I need I'll let you in on a secret project of mine ;)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
Re: Prussian infantry/rifle regiments
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:19:27 am »
I don't think there were landwehr units in 1800-1804.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 01:29:58 pm »
What about militia?

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:40:06 pm »
After the great military defeats of 1806, Prussians reorganized their army in 1808. Some rifle units include:
Garde Jäger (1)
Shutzen (many)
Frewillege Jäger(volunteer shooters attached to infantry)

And I'm not sure if this existed:
Garde Shutzen

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:55:11 pm »
What kinds of Shutzen units were there? Like were they regiments or detachments? And how many of these units were there?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 03:02:31 pm »
The Freiwillige jäger-detachments didn't come to be until 1813.

You had the fussilier batallion of every regiment which was considered 'light', and some Jäger Regiments. If I'm not ninja'd by someone (Cough Docm) I'll look them up when im home.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:13:54 pm »
What sort of units are you looking for?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 07:30:33 pm »
I looked it up : around 1800 you had 24 batallions of green-coated fussiliers, which were musket armed light infantry, and you had the Fëldjagers(also dressed in Green). They were more specialized skirmishers, who carried rifles. Got no idea how many there were of those, though, my source doesn't say a thing about that. It's not even really clear about the rifle-or-musket business

I can't recall any sort of Militia in the 1800-Prussian army, other then the occasionaly armed peasants.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:07:34 pm »
 Jägers
The Jägers were armed with rifles (regular or as gifts from huntsmen and foresters) and "were always considered a crack formation." They were the most professional elite of the infantry. Some were huntsmen and foresters and experienced marksmen and experts at concealement in wooded area. Unfortunately there were only very few formations of jägers.
In 1815 additional battalion of jägers was raised from the Saxon Jäger Battalion, Saxon 'Volunteer Banners' and jäger company of Russo-German Legion. The Saxons however had little enthusiasm for the war in 1815 and serving in the Prussian army.

Volunteers Jägers
The Volunteers Jägers emerged in 1813 and were "members of the educated middle classes" - they uniformed and armed themselves with hunting rifles and carbines or other purchased firearms. There were several thousands of such volunteers organized into small detachments. The volunteers had the possibility of becoming NCOs and officers in the regular troops.
This is what Loraine Petre writes about the volunteer-jagers: "... young men of independent means, of from 17 to 24 years, equipped and armed at their own expense, or at that of the neighberhood. They were those who did not already belong to the army, and had no sufficient cause for exemption. ... Their numbers are uncertain, but they probably never exceeded 5,000 infantry, 3,000 cavalry and 500 artillery and engineers. Their moral was probably greater than their military value, though later, they formed good schools for the training of officers and under-officers, in supplying whom there was considerable difficulty." (Petre - "Napoleon at War" p 113, publ. 1984)

Fusiliers
The Fusiliers were agile men who served in line regiments as light infantry. They were led by inteligent, fit and young officers. The Fusiliers were armed with ordinary muskets. The Fusileirs were the shortest lads in infantry, just 157cm and slightly above, only the guard fusiliers were between 166cm and 173 cm. Instead of the white leather belts of line infantry they wore black ones. There were no other major differences in uniforms.

Schützen
Prussian Schutzen (rifleman) The Schützen were armed with rifles with front and back sight. These were excellent marksmen although - unfortunately - were partially armed with smoothbore muskets instead of rifles. The Schützen were intended to fight in similar way as the Jägers.
There was only a single battalion of Silesian Schützen (Schlesisches Schützen Bataillon) . After 1814 war an additional battalion of Schutzen was formed from volunteers from Neufchatel. They joined the Guard Infantry.
In 1814 at Vauchamps, two companies of the Prussian Silesian Schutzen (240 riflemen) found themselves with a single squadron of Polish Guard Lancers sitting on their line of escape from the disaster that was befalling on their brigade.
The Schutzen formed a column and charged forward cutting their way through the enemy cavalry. This is one of the few instance where infantry actually charged with bayonets against cavalry ! The casualty report lists only shakos and bayonets as the result of actual physical contact with the horsemen.

Additionally there were two guard light battalions:
 Guard Jäger Battalion (400-450 men)
Guard Schützen Battalion (400-450 men)

From here incase you want to read more - http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/Prussian_infantry.htm#prussianlightinfantry
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:07:27 pm by Archduke_Sven »

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 01:54:30 pm »
That is a good definition of Prussian light infantry however it's all copied and some of it wrong.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:00:21 pm »
That is a good definition of Prussian light infantry however it's all copied and some of it wrong.

Yeah well, i can't spend more then 5 minutes finding stuff while im in class, i just remembered a website that had a decent explanation and thought it would help.

IF you put the time into it you'd find alot more.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 02:14:15 pm »
Remember that the Prussian army changed quite dramaticly in 1806. For example, the fusiliers used to be indepent battalions, dressed in green, but after 1806 they became dressed in blue and part of a regiment of the line.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 02:19:37 pm »
The whole formation as well, well known to fight up to 14 ranks. They used deep line formations combining their infantry roles into regiments. I cannot confirm however; if they actually worked independently other than Grenadiers. Who were in theory attached but formed battalions anyway.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 02:55:57 pm »
14 ranks? What were they trying to do form a Macedonian phalanx?

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 04:38:27 pm »
The entire regiment worked together, remind me via PM and I can show you an illustration of a regimet forming, it was a column-line hybrid almost. With this powerful force, it allowed masses of men to use a similar French tactic, which their system was based on.