Author Topic: The Paraguayan War  (Read 3404 times)

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
  • Side: Neutral
The Paraguayan War
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:01:54 am »
My God, I was reading up on my Brazilian history, and was just thinking to myself about how most South American wars have been relatively minor, when I looked up The Paraguayan War and saw the figures.
Quote from: The Economist
The war, known in Paraguay as the “War of ’70” or the “Great War”, was among the worst military defeats ever inflicted on a modern nation state. According to Thomas Whigham of the University of Georgia, as much as 60% of the population and 90% of Paraguayan men died from combat or, more often, from disease and starvation. Other researchers put the figure considerably lower—but still atrociously high. Federico Franco, Mr Lugo’s successor, recently called the war a “holocaust”. Yet it is little known outside the region. Even in Paraguay its moral ambiguities have caused generations of leaders to shroud it in myth.
Quote from: Wikipedia
One estimate places total Paraguayan losses—through both war and disease—as high as 1.2 million people, or 90% of its pre-war population. A different estimate places Paraguayan deaths at approximately 300,000 people out of its 500,000 to 525,000 prewar inhabitants. According to Steven Pinker the war killed more than 60% of the population of Paraguay, making it proportionally the most destructive war in modern times.
According to the post-war census only 29,000 males over the age of 15 remained, meaning a 4:1 ratio between females and males (20:1 in some places).

Compare that to the Second World War with only around 2.5% of the world's population killed (with Poland's casualties in proportion to its pre-war population being the highest at around 17%).

From what I've read so far, most of these losses were from attrition and disease (with cholera taking a massive toll) during the drawn out guerrilla conflict that followed the defeat of the Paraguayan army.

Just staggering figures, thought I'd share because, well I don't know really, this just completely surprised me and the war seems to be largely neglected today. Probably due to it being rather poorly documented, here are some paintings by Cándido Lopez, Argentine soldier turned painter (after he lost his arm in the war), who left the only visual record of the war. They depict the Battle of Curupaytí one of the few Paraguayan victories of the war.

Spoiler

They're pretty huge, so here are the links:
[close]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:20:12 am by Rogov »

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
Re: The Paraguayan War
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:43:15 am »
They fought in line formations with the officers still riding ponies in the seventies?

Edit: I see now it is the 1870's 

Those casualty figures are staggering, thats basically like your entire country disappearing right infront of you. Just terrible.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 11:12:43 am »
Those paintings are amazing. Those are among the most sober and violent military paintings I've ever seen. Most painters are more interested in show battle as a glorious thing.

The last one, of the aftermath, is powerful and sadly realistic.

Offline Schmidtche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skirm without a home.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:15:28 pm »
Agree, the artist really chose to paint it in a realistic way. Odd decision for the time, so he perhaps was on the Battlefield himself?

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:21:48 pm »
Wait so if I move to Paraguay it would still be many more women than men?

Offline Schmidtche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skirm without a home.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:50:37 pm »
No, during the last 143 years the male population recovered. It's roughly equal to the female population nowadays.
According to Wiki the people of Paraguay are among the happiest of the world though, so maybe you still should go there. :D

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 06:55:20 pm »
They fought in line formations with the officers still riding ponies in the seventies?

Edit: I see now it is the 1870's

Lol

But yeah, quite scary to see such numbers. But then again, such things have been seen in Africa within the latest dekades.
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:48:48 pm »
Agree, the artist really chose to paint it in a realistic way. Odd decision for the time, so he perhaps was on the Battlefield himself?
Yes, I believe that's the battle he lost his arm in.

And I agree, those paintings are absolutely stunning, the attention to detail is mind-boggling.

Offline Lupus_The_Wolf

• Private
  • “war is the father of all things”- Heraclitus
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Lupus
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 07:56:18 am »

And I agree, those paintings are absolutely stunning, the attention to detail is mind-boggling.

Yes, he lost  his right arm by a grenade (As a result, he learned to paint with his left hand.) in the Battle of Curupayty, a lost for allied side and one of the bloodiest battle of the war. He left  more than 50 images of the war.

If you want to know more, i think this video can help you guys.( )
If you want to ask anything, I'm from Brazil, I will see if I can help.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 09:30:24 pm »

Yes, he lost  his right arm by a grenade (As a result, he learned to paint with his left hand.) in the Battle of Curupayty, a lost for allied side and one of the bloodiest battle of the war. He left  more than 50 images of the war.

If you want to know more, i think this video can help you guys.( )
If you want to ask anything, I'm from Brazil, I will see if I can help.

From a grenade? They had those in the 1870's? I know they had the dark grenades in the ACW, but I didn't think they were very effective.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 09:35:21 pm »
It doesn't have to blow his arm right off. It could been hit by a fraction and be amputated.