Author Topic: Historical QA  (Read 9170 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Historical QA
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 03:28:48 pm »
Ah, those wonderful swords who gave such terrible wounds. I'm told the French actually sent a letter to the British government asking them to STOP using those, as they were so light, the blades bent in the air. The wounds were significantly worse because of that.

Offline Thomas

• Private
  • Native American and American Colony Historian
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Captain of the 74th Highlanders
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »
I'm having trouble finding this question's answer.

Did freikorps have rifle men that wore the same uniform as the lutzowsches freikorps?

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
  • Side: Union
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »

Did freikorps have rifle men that wore the same uniform as the lutzowsches freikorps?
Every Freikorps had his own uniform reglement (if they had one) for their Jäger companies. But not everytime followed, for example when the members couldn't efford the money or hmmm, didn't want to be exposed on the battlefield...
Simple: skirmishers had little discipline...

Offline Thomas

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 11:10:52 pm »

Every Freikorps had his own uniform reglement (if they had one) for their Jäger companies. But not everytime followed, for example when the members couldn't efford the money or hmmm, didn't want to be exposed on the battlefield...
Simple: skirmishers had little discipline...
Thanks, I was getting confused seeing numerous jäger uniforms.

Offline Moldplayer

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Pfd_Lt_McMoldy
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 11:25:55 pm »
so how do you know that the highlanders are a Grenadier company
Gott damnit moldy, my history page is never safe - 19te_Aussie

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 12:01:39 am »
You mean in NW, right? The "wing" epaulettes at the end of their shoulder straps, and the stylized grenade on their cap badge (above the Egyptian sphinx) indicate they're grenadiers. Actually, the sphinx itself is an indicator too I believe.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:04:32 am by Bluehawk »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 12:32:44 am »
And the fact that there is Gren. written on their canteen.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 12:47:36 am »
 :-[

Offline Thomas

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 12:51:45 am »
Another stupid question regarding freikorps and jägers, would the freikorpsa rifle division be considered freiwilligen-jägers?

Nvm just found Tyrolean jägers.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:55:32 am by Thomas »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 01:02:33 am »
All freikorps soldiers were (officially) volunteers, if that's what you mean.

Bluehawk, it was merely a humble addition  ;)

Offline Thomas

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 01:05:41 am »
All freikorps soldiers were (officially) volunteers, if that's what you mean.

Bluehawk, it was merely a humble addition  ;)
Nearly, I guess I don't understand freikorps very well. Basically, since many Prussian regiments had
 freiwilligen-jägers, did the freikorps have them too?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 01:12:02 am »
The freiwillige Jager detachments were small (often around 64 men) groups of mid-class people and often students. They brought their own uniforms and weapons, and served for as long as the war went own(Not sure on that list bit though).

Lutzows freikorps had a rifle detachment, but they were part of said unit, so they aren't exactly the same.

The concept of 'Freiwilligen' isn't just Prussian btw. Some Dutch cavalry had them, as well as the 1st Nassau infantry.

Offline Thomas

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 01:21:32 am »
The freiwillige Jager detachments were small (often around 64 men) groups of mid-class people and often students. They brought their own uniforms and weapons, and served for as long as the war went own(Not sure on that list bit though).

Lutzows freikorps had a rifle detachment, but they were part of said unit, so they aren't exactly the same.

The concept of 'Freiwilligen' isn't just Prussian btw. Some Dutch cavalry had them, as well as the 1st Nassau infantry.
Thanks for clearing that up.

And thats quite interesting, Ive always been interested by the minor factions. Particulary the duchy of Brunswick. Slick uniforms, the black brunswickers had

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 02:57:37 am »

The Freicorps is a military invention of the later Cabinet Wars (the wars between absolutism states 1648-1789) by the belligerent states like Prussia, France & Austria. They were used to harass enemy supplies and to conserve the very expensive drilled line infantry. Légion Brittanique, Bosniaks, austrian Pandurs or border men (Grenzer) are well known for that period (uh, I don't know any french one). They should be open for every man, who wanted an military adventure but didn't want to experience the line infantry drill. Qualified regular light infantry didn't exist (nor light infantry tactics were developed). But they weren't liked by most military leaders, because they didn't fight like gentlemen face to face (line tactic). So mostly when they got captured, the got killed without process.
Since Prussia needed to build his army to full strenght after the defeat against France 1807, Freicorps got popular for the prussian general staff to fill cheap the big gaps in the army ranks (beside the Landwehr) like before the National Guard in France between 1789 and 1798 or the Cazadores/Guerilleros in the Peninsular Campaign.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:59:09 am by Friedrich »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 05:31:56 am »
what would happen to a british soldier after the war. Would be return home, get mustered out and return to life? Is there any accounts or memoirs on this subject, I always found soldiers experiences of being mustered out interesting.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.