What is ZombieX?
ZombieX is an 'infection' mod for the old game Call of Duty: World at War
. It was made my kill3r
many years ago, and has been the source of joy for many for hours on end. As it is an old mod on an old game, it has since dwindled as further expansions to the Call of Duty series have been released.
How does it work?
When each map starts, there is a 2-3 minute grace period in which players can find good spots, mess around, or try their luck at the various Random Boxes strewn all over the map. When this grace period ends, one or a number of the players (number selected is a server setting) are randomly chosen to be 'First Zombie(s)'. These 'First Zombies' have more health than regular zombies, and will infect
players if they scratch them. As the 'Hunters' (Humans) die, they themselves become part of the zombie horde. The zombies win when all hunters are dead, and the Hunters win if they hold out for a set period of time.
- Hunters have the ability to drink Granny's Special Soda which restores health. Depending on server settings, each player has a finite amount of sodas, but can rarely get more at a random box. A Hunter must drink two sodas if they are infected, or they will slowly drain life and join the dead.
- Hunters have the ability to deploy mines on the fly. These mines explode when in proximity to zombies and do not damage the person who set it. Each player has a finite amount and can rarely get more at a random box.
- Hunters have the ability to call in a short artillery barrage with a 10 kill-streak.
- Upon getting a kill, and if the map supports it, Zombies can call in hell hounds.
- Zombies can also get many things from the random boxes. Though a lot of it is junk (bikes and ducks do nothing), some grant boons (coconuts and buckets give head armor, some can get a virus-in-a-box which infect the next Hunter they hit).
- Zombies have the ability to enable Zombie Vision for a duration of time, which puts a strange filter on screen. It makes it easier to see in poorly illuminated areas, though isn't of much use in bright areas.
Braiiins! I mean... when is this thing scheduled?
The server will always be up, 24/7. We encourage you to play whenever! That being said, there aren't that many people actively playing anymore, hence the thread. Therefore, every Saturday night we will attempt to get as many people on as possible for a Zombie Night, starting from now on (i.e. the creation of this thread).
There really aren't many 'rules', though general exploitation of maps and douchbaggery are frowned upon. Please be compiant with admin wishes, as well. Be aware
that this event has been thrown together, and the server, staff, and settings haven't been tested on higher player-counts.
The thing that will get you into trouble
is rage-quitting if you are selected as First Zombie. If you can't stand being the First Zombie one round, we can't suffer you having fun as a Hunter for a round either. It may seem unfair as a First Zombie, but just remember that it's just that type of game. Be patient, infect as many as you can, and within a short while everyone's soda runs dry and they begin to drop like flies.I don't get it. What's do special about ZombieX?
I'm glad you asked. What makes the mod so great isn't particularly the mod itself, though it is a fun and unique thing to play. What makes the whole experience great is the game provided to us. It is hard to imagine now, but many years ago the developers of the series really cared for the community. They provided extensive mod and mapping tools for regular joes to use, and a great community sprung up to write tutorials and documentation on them. This means that it is possible to have an infinite pool of fun, creative, unique, and innovative maps that are constantly made. When the mapping community is in full swing, you know that within a few weeks, there will be a collection of maps that you've never seen.
It really provides for a great environment to chill and relax with cool guys, and perhaps if we see a resurgence in player-counts in masterpieces such as this, we may see a return to the care that developers lack now. And if not, at least we had a good time about it.Yeah, Yeah. How do I get into it?
It is incredibly easy. You need to have a legal copy of the game. Any platform will do (CD, Steam, etc.). You launch Call of Duty: World at War in Multiplayer
mode (not Single/Coop). Secondly, you find the server and join it. Your client will automatically
download both the mod and the maps needed on-demand. Be aware
that each time you launch the mod or a new map, your game will do a half-reboot, thus looking like it's crashing. Do not be alarmed.
The server provided is based in North America. If you are not North American and can stomache the increased ping for some good fun, then come on in! If you cannot, there are some other EU servers hosted that you could gather people on instead.Server Name: ZombieX| 16th KampfgruppePassword: