Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 527503 times)

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #3090 on: April 27, 2018, 08:48:41 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful world of contradictory legislation.

Remember the last time a state declared itself 'neutral' during a rebellion? Didn't last very long, did it?

Even Lincoln acknowledged Kentucky being in the right to remain neutral. The only thing that ended the neutrality was the raging incompetence of Confederate General Leonidas Polk who put into motion an invasion of Kentucky, despite the wishes of both his subordinates and Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

Edit I thought you were quoting from the Constitution, sorry that I was mistaken. The fact it is legislation instead frankly weakens the federalization stance.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:55:15 pm by DaMonkey »
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3091 on: April 27, 2018, 08:59:29 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful world of contradictory legislation.

Is it though?

A defense force established under this section may be used within the jurisdiction concerned, as its chief executive (or commanding general in the case of the District of Columbia) considers necessary, but it may not be called, ordered, or drafted into the armed forces.

Quote from: Insurrection Act
[The president] may call into Federal service such of the militia of any State

It all depends on a. whether 'Federal Service' is equal to 'the Armed Forces' and b whether the emergency provisions in the Insurrection Act overstep this law. I think we agree on the answer though, that we just don't really know for sure until someone tries. The power of the president has evolved immensely, but considering it has only expanded, I believe he can federalize the state militia in case of an emergency.

Even Lincoln acknowledged Kentucky being in the right to remain neutral

Lincoln acceptance of Kentucky's neutrality was just political as he did nothing against pro-Union forces assembling and organizing, even after specifically being asked to.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:02:14 pm by Duuring »

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: April 27, 2018, 09:03:36 pm »
The point is rather or not it was considered "right" for a Governor to refuse State troops be federalized, not rather Lincoln was a politician willing to circumvent the law.

As to your other statements, it would probably depends on the pre-held views of those you asked. To me, "federal service" in the context is the same as calling into the armed forces - mileage varies.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: April 27, 2018, 09:06:24 pm »
But Kentucky was never asked to federalize State troops, only to create new regiments specifically for federal service outside the territory of Kentucky.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: April 27, 2018, 09:10:07 pm »
A poor word choice, I grant you. The Governor of Kentucky did refuse to raise said requested regiments. The Union and Confederate "Kentucky" regiments were formed without approval of the Commonwealth, without oversight from its officials, and weren't permitted to be raised within the borders of the Commonwealth.

Lincoln's "call" for volunteers asked Kentucky for four regiments, which Governor Beriah Magoffin refused. This refusal was [nominally] honored and permitted, with "creative" ways put into place to circumvent it. (the aforementioned regiments raised outside of the state of men who traveled to that state to enlist)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:12:00 pm by DaMonkey »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: April 27, 2018, 09:11:04 pm »
That's what you get for having a lawyer as president, Americans.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: April 27, 2018, 09:12:47 pm »
He wasn't just a lawyer; before running for an office he was a lobbyist for big rail corporations. "That's what ya get"

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: April 27, 2018, 09:36:44 pm »
The USA's entiry history just consists of someone telling the federal government they can't do something and then being told 'Just watch me', repeated many times over.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:08:59 pm by Duuring »

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: April 27, 2018, 09:38:17 pm »
Well, you're not wrong.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: April 28, 2018, 12:40:29 am »
In other news Kim Jong-un and Moon Jae-in met today on South Korean soil, (this being the first time a member of the Kim family sets foot on South Korean soil since the Korea War) to discuss denuclearization and a peace agreement.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: April 28, 2018, 02:22:07 am »
In other news Kim Jong-un and Moon Jae-in met today on South Korean soil, (this being the first time a member of the Kim family sets foot on South Korean soil since the Korea War) to discuss denuclearization and a peace agreement.

Well, apart from his sister of course (and potentially also members of his murdered half-brother's family).

He's playing games, this is propaganda nothing more at a time when the regime is weak. He only recently survived a plot against him after the Chinese refused to back it and tipped him off. He's still going to end up like Mussolini (hung by a mob) or Stalin (murdered by his rivals). I hope it's the former.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: April 28, 2018, 05:33:32 am »
I very much doubt the people have the courage or motive to kill him.
Do you have any source for this coup attempt?

Edit: I saw some nerd retweet this on twitter.
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/989795799633719297
It's over bois!  ;) (and no I'm not a fan of CNN.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:07:16 am by Furrnox »

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: April 28, 2018, 09:30:24 am »

Well, apart from his sister of course (and potentially also members of his murdered half-brother's family).

He's playing games, this is propaganda nothing more at a time when the regime is weak. He only recently survived a plot against him after the Chinese refused to back it and tipped him off. He's still going to end up like Mussolini (hung by a mob) or Stalin (murdered by his rivals). I hope it's the former.
Stalin mudered lol?

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: April 28, 2018, 11:00:24 am »
Remember folks, terrorbombing your people is okay as long as you don't gas them.