Author Topic: Dragoons are way too underpowered  (Read 5950 times)

Offline SilentMan

• Second Lieutenant
  • Cyberbully
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Dragoons are way too underpowered
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:44:00 pm »
Firing on horseback is way too inaccurate, its hard to hit anything. And the horses are slowers compared to hussars and lancers, so how are dragoons supposed to escape from them?

Bring back musketoon on horseback. Hussars and lancers are way too powerful compared to dragoons.
63e

AntonioTheWorstAtMelee

Re: Dragoons are way too underpowered
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:48:40 pm »
Firing on horseback is way too inaccurate, its hard to hit anything. And the horses are slowers compared to hussars and lancers, so how are dragoons supposed to escape from them?

Bring back musketoon on horseback. Hussars and lancers are way too powerful compared to dragoons.

They do seem kinda of useless, but it was my idea that most dragoons were stationary when they fired (they didn't fire while moving)

I think Dragoons could be made lighter tho, cav/armor etc.  More mobile

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:28:58 pm »
Firing on horseback was barely even possible especially reloading. Dragoons are just that, Dragoons. Mobile infantry, ride somewhere, dismount, and fire.

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:30:42 pm »
Firing on horseback was barely even possible especially reloading. Dragoons are just that, Dragoons. Mobile infantry, ride somewhere, dismount, and fire.

This is how Dragoons ought to be played; mounted light infantry. Admittedly, the British Dragoons suffer as a result of the carbine they are equipped with but there isn't much that can be done about that now.

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_Maj_CommissarJdf
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:31:21 pm »
If anything, they serve as a huge distraction when you come up behind an occupied line and start firing, only to run away when they finally readdress to face you.

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:55:28 pm »
About the slow horses. Most Dragoons classes are the Medium Horse but I know one at least on Austria and Britain have the light horse

Bring back musketoon on horseback.
ARE YOU ON DRUGS WHATARE YOU THINKING NO NO NO NONONONNONOONONONONO NO

Also on a more calm note do you think they should be more accurate when moving or still, or both?

Offline Nuchiha

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ginger/Red_Oktoberfest
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 12:05:07 am »
I too used to think they were underpowered.

But then I actually started playing as a dragoon, dismounting and all. Works quite well in my experience even with the medium horses.
1st Egg Nog - Corporal

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 12:06:50 am »
Dragoons are the biggest annoyance on public servers, as for in linebattles, they become quite useful as a harassment force. Yet I have never seen an instance where dragoons ride to a strategic position, dismount, and hold the area for the main force to come and claim.
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline aekilju

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: aekilju
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:47:56 am »
I always thought the "mounted infantry" concept was kind of stupid. Gunners mounted on horseback, sure, they can harass the enemy very well. But riding to a fight and then dismounting? Horses just going to watch?
Known as GK_aekilju in Native

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 03:22:44 am »
I always thought the "mounted infantry" concept was kind of stupid. Gunners mounted on horseback, sure, they can harass the enemy very well. But riding to a fight and then dismounting? Horses just going to watch?

It probably works better in reality than in this game. Although it works well on larger maps. Not enough regiments take cavalry.

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 11:10:22 am »
Mhm. It also tends to work much better in custom maps where there's the odd strategic point (wall, building, etc) that they can take. Far too many events have this 'everything must be balanced, everyone must be catered to' kind of mentality.

I for one would love to play Dragoons if this were the case.

Offline Nuchiha

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ginger/Red_Oktoberfest
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 03:14:26 pm »
Mhm. It also tends to work much better in custom maps where there's the odd strategic point (wall, building, etc) that they can take. Far too many events have this 'everything must be balanced, everyone must be catered to' kind of mentality.

I for one would love to play Dragoons if this were the case.

Yeah, if events were unbalanced and if maps had more serious strategic areas that are in the middle (instead of at team-spawns) then Dragoons would become infinitely times more useful.

Maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and make a map. Noob-mapping ahoy!
1st Egg Nog - Corporal

Offline Coconut

• Colonel
  • "Just do a headbob" - DarthJezus 2012
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Coconut
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 12:15:30 pm »
And the horses are slowers compared to hussars and lancers, so how are dragoons supposed to escape from them?
How do heavy Cav escape from hussars and lancers? They don't. Both Dragoons+Heavy cav turn around and fight them with a sword. Dragoons have the bonus of being able to shoot the hussars+lancers in their horse which is a big target! It's hard to miss a large horse as a dragoon.

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 12:38:54 pm »
If you aren't British that is.

Offline Sir Gordon of Ramsay

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 11:35:48 am »

It was for speed and mobility which in war arguably count more than firepower.

They were able to get to a location before enemy infantry could; dismount and hold until relieved by proper infantry.