Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 531546 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Dutch, German & French Elections Thread, or The General Political Thread
« Reply #1275 on: August 14, 2017, 12:57:40 am »
Also dont give me the lower standards bullshit. This doesnt happen here.

Are you sure? This article in a regional Dutch newspaper suggest otherwise, and I've heard the same from a Dutch veteran.

This is the cancer that is the root of the different standards discussion. It is false.
Yes entry standards are different for women. ENTRY STANDARDS. These are designed to test on medical basis the amount of physical stress your body is capable of handling. It is to test if your body is suitable for the job. In training there are also numerous PE tests and yes theyre mostly different for women. But in the end, all that counts is the actual fucking combat training. So if the task entail hoisting a 45kg backback upon your skeleton and go for a stroll thats 30 clicks long, youre gonna fucking do it. And if you cant physically do that? You get a period of time to imrpove yourself but if you keep failing physical standards, you are done. This usually sorts itself out by those folks getting injuries.

I had a girl in my squad who washed out of officer training because she couldnt keep up and got injuries. She was too short and had to force steps too large for her. Result: injured legs, exit academy. This is none different for combat training.
If the woman meets the requirements and passes training succesfully, why should I have any less respect for than anyone else? Also women proved themselves useful in peacekeeping operations already, their way of thinking is different and sometimes better suited for peacekeeping operations.

I have gone to almost literal shits with my fellow female cadets and I can tell from experience, they are not different in attitude than men. Some of them are whiney bitches, some of them are tougher than most of the men in the platoon. It happens.

The moment these girls prove themselves by passing training they deserve to be respected. They accomplished more than most civilians ever will.

Added risk for memtal problems and injuries? A non-argument to me. In my future job, my life expectancy against a conventional enemy is 6 seconds. It is a risk I am willing to take, and so is the risk of injury, death or mental problems. Just because on average women are more susceptible doesnr mean they should be excluded for serving.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1277 on: August 15, 2017, 12:27:41 am »
Hey guys I found another female soldier https://www.reddit.com/r/OldSchoolCool/comments/6tnm2y/soviet_sniper_lyudmila_pavlichenko_credited_with/

It's almost like some of them are pretty good at this, huh?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1278 on: August 15, 2017, 02:47:03 am »
Yeah she's a real looker that one
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 15, 2017, 08:22:44 pm »
Kinda feels like the Conservatives are dreaming at this point. They think the EU is going to allow them to forge an entire new customs union of our own. As great as that would be, why on earth would they ever agree to that seeing as we would still be effectively inside the customs union but without any of the restrictions that are placed upon members of the EU? Would be a massive concession for the EU to make and it just ain't happening.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 15, 2017, 11:18:48 pm »
Speculation, speculation, speculation! We'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I wouldn't worry to much - EU decisions aren't made based off of logic.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 15, 2017, 11:52:50 pm »
The EU Customs Union is a red herring. Non-EU countries can't be members of it, so the UK was always going to have to leave as part of Brexit. Neither are customs unions particularly relevant in the 21st century as they largely focus on tariff barriers which are nowadays historically low. People unfamiliar with the subject seem to think that being in a customs union means you get frictionless trade with the other members. Well, actually you don't. For example the EEC customs union was established in 1958, yet well into the 1980s the average border delay at customs between member states was 80 minutes per lorry. The thing that actually made frictionless internal EU trade a reality was the creation of the single market post-1993, not the customs union.

What the UK wants is an agreement on *customs co-operation* which is an entirely separate thing to the customs union.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 16, 2017, 12:03:31 am »
Actually the conservatives said they want a "temporary customs union" for a period after brexit. I assume we read the same BBC article which, yes, also mentioned the frictionless cooperation post brexit but I was personally referencing the fact that the conservatives will be hard pressed to gain anything at all from the EU in this regard.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: August 16, 2017, 12:06:47 am »
Actually the conservatives said they want a "temporary customs union" for a period after brexit. I assume we read the same BBC article which, yes, also mentioned the frictionless cooperation post brexit but I was personally referencing the fact that the conservatives will be hard pressed to gain anything at all from the EU in this regard.

The Tories are actually quite thick, the question is whether they're even thicker than most EU politicians and that remains to be seen.

I'm assuming they're talking about a bilateral customs union with the EU similar to what Turkey has-that's not the same thing as membership of the EU Customs Union. It's doable but probably not by 2019.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 16, 2017, 12:09:29 am »
The tories are thick? Who knew?  :P

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
Why am I still here

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 17, 2017, 01:24:59 pm »
So, how's the proposals for an EU military coming along? I'm willing to bet we'll see a CANZUK defence union before an EU one.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 17, 2017, 05:39:41 pm »
What's CANZUK?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 17, 2017, 06:47:48 pm »
What's CANZUK?

Is Google down or something?

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 17, 2017, 07:03:26 pm »
What's CANZUK?

Is Google down or something?
Or you could just explain something which you brought into the conversation...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:30:37 pm by Toffee Lad »