Author Topic: Revival of forum games?  (Read 7515 times)

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Revival of forum games?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 06:02:38 pm »
I don't think that the amount of nations affects the game to be honest. As long as the most major nations are took, then the gamemaster could act as AI - although, having multiple gamemasters for another medieval BoP would be advisable. Many BoP's that I know of on different forums have had multiple gamemasters, resulting in faster updates and less stress on a gamemaster. And what do you mean about the Holy Roman Empire being too strong?
i think in Enlightenment, bscot said the HRE had like 400,00 troops at their disposal (it's been along time but it was an outrageous number like that).

Interactions with AI aren't as fun as interacting with a player.  and I don't think you will find a player for every important nation.

Multiple game masters are fine. But I don't think any of them should actually be playing in the game

The Holy Roman Empire isn't a unified state. That means all the states within the Holy Roman Empire's troops add up to 400,000. And I don't think all states in the HRE are allied so hey. Anyway, hopefully all Enlightenment states should be taken up such as Austria, France, etc. etc. before any other small ones like Friesland or Navarre.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 06:04:00 pm »
I don't think that the amount of nations affects the game to be honest. As long as the most major nations are took, then the gamemaster could act as AI - although, having multiple gamemasters for another medieval BoP would be advisable. Many BoP's that I know of on different forums have had multiple gamemasters, resulting in faster updates and less stress on a gamemaster. And what do you mean about the Holy Roman Empire being too strong?
i think in Enlightenment, bscot said the HRE had like 400,00 troops at their disposal (it's been along time but it was an outrageous number like that).

Interactions with AI aren't as fun as interacting with a player.  and I don't think you will find a player for every important nation.

Multiple game masters are fine. But I don't think any of them should actually be playing in the game

The Holy Roman Empire isn't a unified state. That means all the states within the Holy Roman Empire's troops add up to 400,000. And I don't think all states in the HRE are allied so hey. Anyway, hopefully all Enlightenment states should be taken up such as Austria, France, etc. etc. before any other small ones like Friesland or Navarre.
that means bscot did the HRE completely wrong then
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
BOP: Napoleonic Wars [Game Thread]
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 06:05:22 pm »
Whenever I see a "New Post"-image on the forumgames subboard the hype gets real... then I notice that it is just someone else posting stuff.
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline BabyJesus

• General
    • View Profile
Re: BOP: Napoleonic Wars [Game Thread]
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 06:53:35 pm »
Whenever I see a "New Post"-image on the forumgames subboard the hype gets real... then I notice that it is just someone else posting stuff.
hey look Ted. This isn't an update
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)

Offline Bravescot

• The WoR Avatar Guy
  • Donator
  • The rank icon guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 09:35:24 pm »
that means bscot did the HRE completely wrong then
I did it wrong deliberately. If I'd done it right the HRE right it would have been too much to handle and way too easy to manipulate into an unstoppable force.

I changed the HRE to make it strong but not unstoppable in the right hands.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 01:22:06 am »
I've played BoP's primarily outside of fsegames. Bravescot's HRE was done well because if it was done differently no progress could be made outside of it, other than France or whomever doing their best to lose the least amount of land should they be attacked. The only thing I wish was more of a limitation towards players in Enlightenment was religion; a lot of people were attacking each other for political/economical reasons, which was good, but other than that I saw wars starting namely between Catholics that just didn't make all too much sense for the time. If we ever managed to get to Protestantism, it would have been fine and made total sense, and the game could have expanded in that HRE would dissolve and evolve into more unified states. AoE was one of my favorite BoP's I've been in/watched because the potential for events shifting things in the game had huge potential. We didn't even get to the introduction of the Reformation, the use of dragoons and expansion of artillery and firearms, or any of that. Expanding on that, AoE allowed you to model your army in specific ways and command it in specific ways and take specific actions that aren't often seen in other BoP's, and it's a shame that wasn't something being taken more advantage of.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 01:27:38 am »
I've played BoP's primarily outside of fsegames. Bravescot's HRE was done well because if it was done differently no progress could be made outside of it, other than France or whomever doing their best to lose the least amount of land should they be attacked. The only thing I wish was more of a limitation towards players in Enlightenment was religion; a lot of people were attacking each other for political/economical reasons, which was good, but other than that I saw wars starting namely between Catholics that just didn't make all too much sense for the time. If we ever managed to get to Protestantism, it would have been fine and made total sense, and the game could have expanded in that HRE would dissolve and evolve into more unified states. AoE was one of my favorite BoP's I've been in/watched because the potential for events shifting things in the game had huge potential. We didn't even get to the introduction of the Reformation, the use of dragoons and expansion of artillery and firearms, or any of that. Expanding on that, AoE allowed you to model your army in specific ways and command it in specific ways and take specific actions that aren't often seen in other BoP's, and it's a shame that wasn't something being taken more advantage of.
teh only way you would get to that is if we started at that point (or we did like yea long updates which i dont think i would like)

even with the HRE being nerfed, however bscot did it, they were still op af. it honestly wasnt fun because i couldnt do anything without getting complelty destroyed
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 01:30:12 am by BabyJesus »

Offline Bravescot

• The WoR Avatar Guy
  • Donator
  • The rank icon guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 11:48:54 am »
BabyJ as Norway you did the square root of bugger all! You didn't even get into a war with the HRE and yet you're complaining about them being OP? Trust me when I was they were strong, but they were by no means OP. What made them very strong in the war they were involved in is that the Emperor himself became involved allowing him to call HRE nations to arms.

On the religion side I did suggest that if a medieval RP was voted on I'd push the start to maybe the 1500s if people wanted Enlightenment back.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 04:06:56 pm »
BabyJesus is just jealous over things he didn't have--as Norway, nonetheless. I made sacrifices as Switzerland to bolster my economy, and sacrificed some of the wealth of my economy for military gains, and I was "OP" because of that, because I made smart decisions. McLovin didn't have a successful revolt as the HRE, even though it was close at one point, so he was "OP" because of that. Remember, McLovin was just the King of Austria, and every certain period of time the position of HRE would potentially shift to another member of the HRE, and it's extremely easy to force a change the leader if someone has the reason and support to do it. The HRE was powerful, yes, but it's still stupid for someone to attack it expecting anything different. As the leader of their own nation, the Emperor would always have to keep in mind the possibility of their land being ruined as a result of some wrong move as the head of the HRE.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 04:09:54 pm »
I wasn't Norway. I was Denmark  :(

The Swiss had a unlimited amount of money.

Attacking anyone in the HRE would be suicidal.

And doesn't a vote only occur when the current emperor dies? Or is that just EU4?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:12:48 pm by BabyJesus »

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 04:11:24 pm »
Denmark. Same shit. Idk, man, you owned Visby, isn't that like, a win condition? Visby is cool af.

Because I'm feeling nostalgic, I thought I'd share a post I had ready for when Savoy would accept my peace proposal.

Spoiler

The Republic of the Swiss

The Swiss Republic announces its preparation to better secure the republic's border. To begin, the Republic will extend the previously announced five forts to include walls bridging between correspondingly neighboring mountain passes, ensuring the only points of entries are the designated gates. It will also refurbish those five forts to accommodate space for the storage and usage of multiple forms of gunpowder artillery, ranging in size and firepower. This model will be continued in an additional two new fortresses in the provinces of Valais and Vaud, and an additional third to protect the city of Geneva.

Upon the completion of these forts, construction will then focus towards fortifying the passages between mountain passes along the Republic's boarder. This is to ensure trafficking of trade is optimal, that border tolls are paid for, that trade is secure and crime-free, and that the protection of the Republic of the Swiss's boarders are optimal. Additionally, the south, west, and southwest borders will see six small forts along the wall that allow trade and traffic to efficiently enter and exit the Republic without difficult routes. These six small forts will be constructed one at a time, as to allow focus and assessment of supplies efficiently, and give experience to the workers to more efficiently build castles in the future. These fortification products are expected to be done by the year fourteen-fifty.

Lastly, the Republic announces the Bern-Zürich canals, a system inspired by the city of Venice. These canals will give inhabitants an alternative way of traveling throughout the two cities, allow for waste removal, and should ensure that Swiss life in the two cities will be happier and healthier, as well as more efficient. Water will arrive via aqueducts from the Alps, and the excess water will be channeled to the fields of Switzerland, helping to water and fertilize crop fields.

(White, collection; Blue, delivery; Green, excess)

The Republic ensures that these are the best steps that can be currently taken to ensure the growth of the Republic of the Swiss moving forward, both in economics and stability. It council remains determined in belief that the city of Zürich can become the successful trading center it has always meant to be, and promptly requests neighboring states to consider Swiss made products.

The Republic of the Swiss
Board and Council

[close]
It's a good example of how I sacrificed a lot of my income to essentially be in a rut for a few years, but afterwards I would make a ton of moolah and security from those investments. IE. My trade would be great in cities like Bern, Zürich, Geneva, etc., the prosperity would be extremely high due to the irrigation, and my lands would be fortified heavily, both increasing its security against attackers quite substantially (the outer-ring of forts+wall on top of the already several forts in Switzerland), as well as the security for traders and merchants, meaning more caravans may stop there to rest and exchange goods. Plus having Roman-esque aqueducts and Venician-esque canals everywhere on top of the military security, Swiss culture would flourish, meaning more jingoism than I already had. But until those things were built, I was just as rich or poor as the next state my size, because that's where all my money was going.

As for the HRE elections, I think it was decided on like ever year or so. I could be wrong on that, though.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:54:14 pm by Audiate »

Offline Bravescot

• The WoR Avatar Guy
  • Donator
  • The rank icon guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 05:17:15 pm »

And doesn't a vote only occur when the current emperor dies? Or is that just EU4?

Sorry, Norway, my bad.

The Swiss were a very wealthy state in the period due to the high demand for Swiss Mercenaries, arms and expertise across the continent. Audiate had stretched his purse as far as it could handle and if he'd gone any further he's have begun to suffer. Unlike a lot of players who barrel head long into things he was very carefully taking one step after the other.

I should also be noted that his plans to turn Switzelrand into a center of trade would have taken years of not decades to implement.

Attacking and HRE member was a suicidal thing to due full stop. In game and in the period. There are plenty of ways to undermine their power like getting an HRE ally to attack another HRE member then joining in etc.

The Emperor was at fort going to be early but I saw that was a terrible idea so I planned on changing it to until the Emperor's death. I was not going to have it as a hereditary title or that would have been dull and way over powered.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2016, 06:26:59 pm »

Sorry, Norway, my bad.

The Swiss were a very wealthy state in the period due to the high demand for Swiss Mercenaries, arms and expertise across the continent. Audiate had stretched his purse as far as it could handle and if he'd gone any further he's have begun to suffer. Unlike a lot of players who barrel head long into things he was very carefully taking one step after the other.

I should also be noted that his plans to turn Switzelrand into a center of trade would have taken years of not decades to implement.

Attacking and HRE member was a suicidal thing to due full stop. In game and in the period. There are plenty of ways to undermine their power like getting an HRE ally to attack another HRE member then joining in etc.

The Emperor was at fort going to be early but I saw that was a terrible idea so I planned on changing it to until the Emperor's death. I was not going to have it as a hereditary title or that would have been dull and way over powered.
:(

So look at his post right above yours. Would that bankrupt him?

True you could ally a HRE member state

If you did ever host another Enlightenment, I would probably just play as an HRE member state to avoid getting completely destroyed and it would probably be more fun

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2016, 06:29:22 pm »
I also believe that the update time should be somewhere to 3-6 months per turn. I mean, in medieval times, 1 detailed month is not worth it.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 06:38:50 pm »
If I remember correctly, I was to sell the land in Savoy to France for a hefty sum, excluding Marseilles, which I would own as a Swiss port. That explains why I made Savoy a part of France in the map, anyway. That was supposed to fund the expansion of the republic's infrastructure (canals and aqueducts, eventually better roads), which would in turn eventually secure Marseilles with a more advanced wall/forts later down the line.

EDIT: Actually, it wasn't Marseilles, I forget what it was. But I was supposed to keep a port on the Mediterranean.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:56:57 pm by Audiate »