Author Topic: Pike & Shotte - English Civil War Mod  (Read 102517 times)

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Pike & Shotte - English Civil War Mod
« Reply #270 on: August 14, 2015, 12:57:15 pm »
But tabletop miniatures  have some limitations as well, theyhave to keep officers and musicans special.
But most of the time musicans were not soldiers, so they did not have any weapons(not even swords)
Anyone planning to go on a battlefield would take some form of self-defense. Common sense would dictate that, I wouldn't want to go on a field without something to jab the opposing side with.
  Seconded. I do Napoleonic re-enacting (okay, an era a hundred and fifty years after the Civil War) and all the drummers have swords. They were meant more for chopping wood but if the going got tough then they would have little choice. Interestingly, drummers in the Napoleonic era were paid the same as a Corporal and were meant to administer field punishment (flogging usually).
  Remember as well that the 'rules of war' can be a little vague and generals will 'interpret' them as they see fit. Cromwell massacred God knows how many people in Ireland. Men also were not meant to loot or gamble in the Napoleonic era, but there are plenty of examples of it happening. Whilst drummers were meant to not fight, if a blood crazed cavalry trooper is slashing at you, I think you would want to defend yourself!
  Good to see that the musicians will be invincible  ;D If we get preachers in there then they will definitely have to be invincible!
  By the way ProDazzer_, I have edited a few bits of the soundtrack to make some brief sounds that could be used for the Royalist and Parliamentarian victory sounds in the game. What is the best way for me to send it to you?
EDIT: just sent it by PM. Hope it works.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:37:08 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline JUAN THE GREAT!

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #271 on: August 15, 2015, 03:33:40 pm »
When you mean invincible, you mean like god like being that can never die or they have more health than most of the troop, but still can be killed in other ways (like cannonballs ;) )

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #272 on: August 15, 2015, 04:08:47 pm »
When you mean invincible, you mean like god like being that can never die or they have more health than most of the troop, but still can be killed in other ways (like cannonballs ;) )

I was just joking. They will be killable. Only rule is: Don't kill musician, if is he not attacking you, in deathmatch, conquest and team deathmatch. In event, try not to shoot him.

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 16, 2015, 10:46:42 am »
King Charles I's lifeguard of foote musketeer

Offline Miller786

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #274 on: August 16, 2015, 10:59:16 am »

I was just joking. They will be killable. Only rule is: Don't kill musician, if is he not attacking you, in deathmatch, conquest and team deathmatch. In event, try not to shoot him.
you shall never stop the mad midnight drummer mass murderer!

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 16, 2015, 11:08:05 am »

you shall never stop the mad midnight drummer mass murderer!

Why do you want to kill innocent little drummers? :( :'(
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:11:16 am by ProDazzer_ »

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 16, 2015, 11:38:57 am »
  The King's Lifeguard of Foote look good. One tiny thing, is there any way to change his boots? I believe boots were only worn by officers (although junior officers like ensigns probably didn't) and cavalry troopers. Infantry (pikemen and musketeers) tended to wear shoes with what I believe are referred to as stockings (colour varied, white and grey seem to be the most popular). See the pictures I PM'd you, number 12 should show you what I mean.
EDIT: another obervation if I may. The King's Oxford Army seems to have more montero caps and at least half of musketeers I see in the re-enacted King's Lifeguard seem to wear them, although plenty still wear other types of hats:
http://www.kingslifeguard.co.uk/cpg15x/displayimage.php?pid=208&fullsize=1
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:51:05 am by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
« Reply #277 on: August 16, 2015, 12:52:27 pm »
I'd recommend giving fancy boots like that to Officers, Serjeants, Ensigns and drummers due to them being paid more than the regular troops.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 16, 2015, 01:35:15 pm »
I'd recommend giving fancy boots like that to Officers, Serjeants, Ensigns and drummers due to them being paid more than the regular troops.
  Sounds like a good idea although even then, most illustrations I have seen show only Officers and the cavalry in boots. Still I am sure some must have worn them and like you said they would be paid more (I don't know about the English Civil War, but in the Napoleonic Wars British drummers were paid the same as a Corporal).
]

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
« Reply #279 on: August 16, 2015, 01:51:54 pm »
http://www.earlofmanchesters.co.uk/drums.html
Found this a while ago when looking through reenactment groups, it's quite an interesting video 'bout drummers.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 16, 2015, 02:00:40 pm »
That is a good video. I found this on the Marquess of Winchesters Regiment website as well, they have a little bit on Drummers:
http://www.marquisofwinchesters.co.uk/Roles-Drummer.html
  If we could get permission from them to use the sounds of the drums from that video then that would be good. I don't know if drum calls varied between Royalists and Parliamentarian or even on a regimental basis. In the Napoleonic Wars it was standard across pretty much the whole army although this is the seventeenth century where, till the New Model came along, there was no standing army.
  I notice as well that the drums are much larger than those used in the Napoleonic Wars.
  I wonder as well, what about trumpet calls for the cavalry?
EDIT: From 'The English Civil War, 1642-165, An illustrated Military History', page 92:
'Musicians traditionally wore elaborately-laced uniforms; for example, in 1587-8 Norwich purchased for their drummer a green kersey coat with eleven yards of lace and six yards of 'pointing', and spent 10s. on five yards of green and white Levant taffeta for their flute player.'
  Another interesting part:
'Fifers occupied a less important place,  Turner remarking that 'With us any Captain may keep a piper in his company, and maintain him too, for no pay is allowed him, perhaps just as much as he deserveth.' '

It also goes on to say that the King's Lifeguard probably had the Royal Coat of Arms painted onto their drums. Is it possible to introduce unique drums for each regiment or is it done as a whole?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:28:02 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 16, 2015, 02:54:05 pm »
Now I am really confused. I was working 1 hour to change boots to troops  >:( . So I need again to change it?
Royalists and Parliament have only one drummer type.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 16, 2015, 03:08:51 pm »
Don't worry, in our quest for perfection we keep forgetting that you are the only person creating and editing the uniforms for the mod. What you have done so far is amazing and I can't wait for the mod to come out. If there is trouble in changing the boots then don't worry, I don't think I will have any sleepless nights over it! It could be worst, we could decide the buttons are the wrong design or something!
  By the way, when you say just one rank of drummer, will you have different variants within that? Say the option pick the colour of uniform you are wearing (red, blue, white for Royalists for example?)
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 16, 2015, 03:21:43 pm »
Don't worry, in our quest for perfection we keep forgetting that you are the only person creating and editing the uniforms for the mod. What you have done so far is amazing and I can't wait for the mod to come out. If there is trouble in changing the boots then don't worry, I don't think I will have any sleepless nights over it! It could be worst, we could decide the buttons are the wrong design or something!
  By the way, when you say just one rank of drummer, will you have different variants within that? Say the option pick the colour of uniform you are wearing (red, blue, white for Royalists for example?)

This is Willhelm's mod. He discontinued and I am continuing. If I could contact him, he could make uniforms what you have sent to me. But I don't want to bother him, I don't think he is interested anymore.
There will be one Drummer in Musicians section with more variants.

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 16, 2015, 10:56:45 pm »
Hey guys. Im going on vacation, so don't think this mod is dead.

Tower Hamlets Trayned Bande musketeer