Author Topic: Napoleonic Total War 3  (Read 30737 times)

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Napoleonic Total War 3
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2014, 11:37:08 pm »
I remember that you said some time ago that artillery wounded and killed a small amount of the total casualties.
Yes you're correct, artillery was quite devastating.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2014, 11:40:18 pm »
Not to mention the NTW3 battles are scaled 6:1. Thus if you take your 12 casualties per minute, divde by 6 = 2. In TW there is no such thing as wounded, thus (and killed where 1/7 of the total casualties), 1/7 of 2 is the total amount killed you should get per minute in NTW3.

Nice try though.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2014, 11:46:37 pm »
It's obvious that NTW3 is a poor example of how accurate smoothbore muskets are though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=shluW97WMH4#t=423

Look at the white unit on the left. They have 280 men, the first two ranks are able to fire = 112 men are in the first two rows (it looks like the battalion is formed in five ranks). When those 112 men open fire, the first volley kills 27 people. If you have decent sight you can see that the lines are 10 meters away from each other at the point when thy are as far apart as possible.

I wouldn't call that realistic. I can't go any further in this debate if you seriously think 27 hits from 112 shots at 5 meters is realistic.

Thanks for the time, anyways.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2014, 11:49:37 pm »
Because you know more than they do.

Offline Gizmo

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gizmo
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2014, 12:01:29 am »
Wismar, why can't you admit that you were wrong on that. The arguments provided by the guys from this NTW3 forum are historical, and as many people said before they do have a big knowledge about it. And you're complaining about the fact that it lacks accuracy, well in that case you should play an other mod instead of complaining about a historical accurate mod not being entertaining to you... It's not like it was the only mod around.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2014, 12:05:47 am »
Wismar, why can't you admit that you were wrong on that. The arguments provided by the guys from this NTW3 forum are historical, and as many people said before they do have a big knowledge about it. And you're complaining about the fact that it lacks accuracy, well in that case you should play an other mod instead of complaining about a historical accurate mod not being entertaining to you... It's not like it was the only mod around.
All the other shit in the mod is really good tho. You seem to just ignore my previous post btw.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2014, 12:07:29 am »
Learn to mod instead of begging for a patch.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_John_MacKintosh
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2014, 12:08:37 am »
The displayed unit is the "mob", the weakest unit in the whole game. They are basically civilians who have never fired a musket and get armed with it as the enemy approaches their hometown.

Once again.

112 people are apparently firing their muskets (its a bit less I think as they have a small 6th rank at the back so I'd go with roughly 100 people shooting their musket).

Line infantry was not taught to aim, but simply to point their muskets in the general direction of the target. (In the heat of battle the soldier often forgot that in close range it was necessary to point the musket at the feet of a target because the kick of the musket threw the barrel up, causing the ball to arc up, to pass over the target.)
Said troops in the video are not even line infantry, they received no training at all, as such they would aim right at the enemy's torso (or even head) if they even managed to aim at all.

The ball was not tightly fitted to the bore of the musket, it came out the muzzle at no generally predictable angle
Next problem, the muskets were inaccurate.

According to R. Henegan the British infantry at Vittoria fired on average 459 rounds for 1 French casualty. (Henegan - "Seven Years' Campaigning in the Peninsula and the Netherlands", pp 344-345)
- Napier witnessed volleys fired by British infantry (in Spain) where out of 300 musketballs fired none hit the target.
This is just a perfect example for such a situation. And it is backed up by people who studied history, those people make a living of that, so I expect them to know a bit more than you on that matter.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2014, 12:09:46 am »
Wismar, once again, the game is scaled down. It's not meant to be 1-on-1 historical accuracy. Do you honestly don't know that? I agree that it's not a 100% accurate portrayal of historical accuracy, but the fact that you can bring your lines so close without the men charging off is also inaccurate, and you don't complain about that.

If anything is inaccurate, it's the fact that the third, fourth and fifth rank are shooting. They'd be shooting their own men.

Besides, if anything 'realistic' should added to this game, it's that units have the ability to break without a single casualty. Just because they are all new recruits or a cannonball hit the ground in front of them. Or breaking after their own volley. Or because they hear (their own) artillery fire. That all happened.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:13:48 am by Duuring »

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2014, 12:21:51 am »
Wismar, once again, the game is scaled down. It's not meant to be 1-on-1 historical accuracy. Do you honestly don't know that? I agree that it's not a 100% accurate portrayal of historical accuracy, but the fact that you can bring your lines so close without the men charging off is also inaccurate, and you don't complain about that.

If anything is inaccurate, it's the fact that the third, fourth and fifth rank are shooting. They'd be shooting their own men.

Besides, if anything 'realistic' should added to this game, it's that units have the ability to break without a single casualty. Just because they are all new recruits or a cannonball hit the ground in front of them. Or breaking after their own volley. Or because they hear (their own) artillery fire. That all happened.
Sure, but I didn't notice that until you said it.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2014, 12:23:34 am »
The displayed unit is the "mob", the weakest unit in the whole game. They are basically civilians who have never fired a musket and get armed with it as the enemy approaches their hometown.

Once again.

112 people are apparently firing their muskets (its a bit less I think as they have a small 6th rank at the back so I'd go with roughly 100 people shooting their musket).
You did watch the video?

Learn to mod instead of begging for a patch.

Sweet victory.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2014, 12:26:26 am »
How can you not notice the men are very closely together after you complained and complained about the fact the men were very close together yet didn't hit stuff?

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2014, 12:27:10 am »

Once again.

You did watch the video?
Of course I did. The first two ranks did not fire all at the same time, the few shots coming out of the back lines are on the sides and not noteworthy.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2014, 12:28:19 am »
How can you not notice the men very closely together after you complained and complained about the fact the men were very close together?
i didn't think about that they should have broken if they were that bad. Anyways, it isn't the topic. I just thought it was dumbs that 100 musket shots only killed 27 people at point blank range.

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2014, 12:34:49 am »
How can you not notice the men very closely together after you complained and complained about the fact the men were very close together?
i didn't think about that they should have broken if they were that bad. Anyways, it isn't the topic. I just thought it was dumbs that 100 musket shots only killed 27 people at point blank range.
Only because you can't believe that doesn't make it dumb automatically.