Author Topic: Pike & Shotte - English Civil War Mod  (Read 101068 times)

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Pike & Shotte - English Civil War Mod
« Reply #360 on: September 09, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
The point is though is that we don't know the vast majority of regimental uniforms. This site lists most of the known units that fought in the Civil Wars:http://wiki.bcw-project.org/start
 You then have contradictory evidence, for example the Earl of Manchester's regiment in one source is listed in red faced green and another as green faced red, could well have been a mixture of the two. Uniforms as well were guidelines, in the field that could well easily break down and with precious few pictorial sources from the era, not to mention literary sources are fragmented and many were lost (the records of the King's Oxford Parliament were lost when the city fell), then it is hard to know for sure.
  We probably have definitive evidence for about twenty or thirty English regiments out of hundreds, the rest is pure conjecture although fortunately we only need a dozen or so for the mod.
  Thanks for the ebooks although I have most of them already (I have just studied the Civil Wars at University so I have already trawled through dozens of books on the subject!) The best one I found is the book by Philip Haythornthwaite, a little old now but still very detailed with some lovely colour plates. By the way I wish I had had this sooner, I spent nearly twenty pounds on the rule book for Pike and Shotte last Christmas!

EDIT: looking good, nice the see the sash looks better. I believe that chap is an officer, sergeants whilst not as poor as the common soldier would probably be more in the uniform of their regiment although if they had money then you never know what they might wear (if they had money they probably would be an officer already!). I think the chaps tunic might be a little too long  and the lace to tie it up should be a little more pronounced. Then again, I am being picky, I haven't a clue about modelling and texturing so have no idea about the difficulties of creating such a thing!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:51:36 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
  • Side: Union
« Reply #361 on: September 09, 2015, 09:07:19 pm »
Well, luckily the mod only needs around 30 regiments, so the best most well known and understood ones can be used.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 09, 2015, 09:09:57 pm »
Amen to that, can't wait to play as the King's Lifeguard!
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 09, 2015, 09:15:04 pm »
Amen to that, can't wait to play as the King's Lifeguard!

What did you say?! Guys, We have a supporter of King here! Hang him! Death to king, and Leslie the traitor!

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 09, 2015, 09:27:09 pm »
The King and the Cause!
The church and the laws!
Charles, King of England!
Prince Rupert of the Rhine!
God Save the King!

When you get the mod finished we will have to settle this somewhere, I hear Edgehill is good this time of year!

On a side note, I was wondering about having the troops shouting the correct battle-cries (like the one above)? I tried recording some but my voice is too gentle.
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 09, 2015, 09:30:23 pm »
The King and the Cause!
The church and the laws!
Charles, King of England!
Prince Rupert of the Rhine!
God Save the King!

When you get the mod finished we will have to settle this somewhere, I hear Edgehill is good this time of year!

On a side note, I was wondering about having the troops shouting the correct battle-cries (like the one above)? I tried recording some but my voice is too gentle.

That would be awesome. I think you still have better voice than mine  ;D

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 09, 2015, 09:36:56 pm »
I will have another go and see if I can sound like a battle-hardened veteran charging into combat! In the meantime if anyone else wants to have a go then that would be good. We could use some people with Scottish or Irish accents (maybe Welsh as well?) as well as English ones, perhaps even with regional accents (Norfolk, West Country etc.). I will try and look up what the correct battle cry for Parliament is, there is a short one they shouted at Dunbar in 1650 'The Lord of Hosts'.
EDIT: This is what I have found for Parliament thus far, mainly Psalms:
Psalm 149 (Lord Brookes Regiment sung this as they stormed Lichfield Close) "Let the high praises of God be in their mouths And a two-edged sword in their hand. To bind their kings with chains, And their nobles with links of iron."
Psalm 117 (Cromwell urged his cavalry to sing this at Dunbar) "Praise the Lord all ye nations, Praise him all ye people, For his merciful kindness is great towards us, And the truth of the Lord endureth forever."
Psalm 68 (Fairfax's men sang this as they stormed Leeds) "Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered." (there is more but I will not post all of it).
The Lord of Hosts (Dunbar again) "For the Lord of Hosts is with us, the God of Jacob is our refuge."
  It would probably be better to have a priest character say all of these in the game!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:50:00 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Bravescot

• The WoR Avatar Guy
  • Donator
  • The rank icon guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2015, 10:09:01 am »
Well two obvious one would be "For God and the King!" and "For God and Parliament"

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 10, 2015, 11:28:43 am »
Yes that is another one, although would the Roundheads have been shouting 'for Parliament' so early on? Remember at this stage the objective is to get rid of the Kings advisor's rather than the King himself. Confusingly the Covenanter's put 'For King, Crown and Covenant' (or words to that effect) on their Colours despite fighting him.
  Wouldn't be any harm in using those though and the Roundheads, as I have mentioned, were quite keen on Psalms that condemned Kings.
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 10, 2015, 10:21:49 pm »
Looking good. Good to see the Covenanter's are coming along nicely.
]

Offline JUAN THE GREAT!

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #371 on: September 11, 2015, 02:28:41 am »
The uv maping gibs me boner...

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 12, 2015, 09:31:10 pm »
Hougomont map by Juan the GREAT/Grape  :o
Spoiler
Spoilero
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler

What are you looking at?!?
[close]
Spoiler

...and a small surprise for attackers  :-*
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 09:33:37 pm by ProDazzer_ »

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 13, 2015, 11:36:13 am »
Looks excellent, I love the cannon there! I sent Juan some pictures of various castles, forts and country houses involved in the Civil War so will have to see what he comes up with.
EDIT: Oh and good to see there is a Steam Group going, I was just about to ask if you had set one up.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 12:19:46 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 13, 2015, 08:12:43 pm »
Essex's drummer uniform