Author Topic: A concern on Rifle accuracy changing game play  (Read 32589 times)

Offline Coconut

• Colonel
  • "Just do a headbob" - DarthJezus 2012
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Coconut
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: A concern on Rifle accuracy changing game play
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 10:50:10 pm »
Well then there is no use speculating until FSE releases some sort of devblog showing the maps.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 12:23:27 am »
Camping wouldn't be very successful since they have objectives this time around. They will probably habe battle aswell but it will be a lot different.

Offline regwilliam

• Donator
  • add regwilliam to join 1stNJ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: William
  • Side: Union
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 04:51:39 am »
i do think millander has a point but even so i think its ok that the guns will be more accurate it will encourge regiment to use there brains and not just bum rush bayonet charge. to rely more on training and discipline rather then just bayonet skill and start acting more like a regiment. also i think this will help kill 10-20 man regiment as they will be wiped out very fast in a 500 man lbs. thus making players think twice about joining a new regiment that will likely die out in a month and make them quit the game and instead join the large more stable regiments thus making line battle feel all the more epic marching around with your regiment of 80-100 guys firing vollys and watching as dozens of your friends get shot down around you by enemy musket and cannons fire as you hear your officers and NCOS yelling in your ears to fill in the ranks and watching your regimental banner sway with the breeze and hear the orders to fix bayonets!!!!!!

Also i am scared that line battle will turn into skrimishing fights were everyone just heads to cover guys its called LINE BATTLES for a reason they only reason fights in NS turn into skrim fights is because most regiments dont be more then 15-20 guys to the NA Line battles and get wiped out very fast if regiments in battle cry of freedom bring 40-60 men or more i hope to god more then it should not be a big deal that the guns are more accurate

GOD I WANT THIS GAME TO COME OUT

Edit would like regiments to be this big https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=147812658
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:44:20 am by valdan »

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 05:24:38 am »
Well, someone's being just a little bit delusional, aren't they.

I do look forward to the attempted bayonet charges across open fields by people who don't recognize that the game isn't NW2, though.

Offline Kamov

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Andrew_Rutherford
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 06:20:05 am »
I would have to agree with others, it isn't NW2 so I don't think it should be too much like it.

Although the stuff about people hiding in cover, I would see that being common in public play but the linebattles are often a different experience, what with rules and so forth. I don't think it's a bad idea to play around with the accuracy though.

When the game goes into alpha or whatever bump the thread.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 08:47:35 am »
I think the New mechanic with higher accuracy & bigger maps is good since it will promote more tactical gameplay and cooperation I think we will see a lot more regiments colaberabte in BCoF because now they have reason to do so.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 01:37:25 pm »
I'm excited to see regiments bigger than 10 people in a single rank :P

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 03:55:46 pm »
I think the way to appeal to both sides of the argument is basically let the Admin decide how accurate weapons are in the Administration options with the other stuff.

Have it based on a percentage scale or simply a setting that is Realism and another setting that is Competitive. Clearly this community is divided on a lot of issues and this would be the best idea instead of dragging melee and shooting mechanics constantly over the coals because what does feel right to player A makes Player B unhappy.

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 04:11:58 pm »
Well in NW the weapons are inaccurate but are made even more inaccurate by people trying to shoot as soon as possible and often just aiming vaguely in the direction of the thing they want to hit, I have seen many lines in NW cut down by a regiments formed up and aiming carefully. Many people are so desperate to get into melee they want to just fire off a volley and charge which often leads to their shooting being complete shite.

I believe with more accurate firearms we will also see this in BCOF with people not aiming properly and desperately trying to fire shot after shot and it severely crippling their accuracy because they are worried about being shot.

You could also make the firearms hard to use no reticule for example, do not have true ironsights so people have to work out how to adjust their aim and add some sort of weapon movement while aiming so people actual have to practice with their weapon of choice to be of any use with it.   
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Wismar

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 07:17:37 pm »
But every single weapon from ACW had ironsights. On the other hand I do agree with you that there's several ways to make shooting harder without making the weapons less accurate. For example, you can add sway when under fire or make the character blink near an explosion. Would be really cool if they had these things like they have in Battlefield. It would be client side aswell so it wouldn't chew up data.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 07:19:14 pm by Wismar »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 08:23:49 pm »
I suppose to clarify my sentiment im not wishing BCoF to be NW2. my lartgest concern is linebattle events will be changed for the worse. Linebattles are what cause a vast majority of players of NW to continue playing. I worry that with the accuracy of the guns lines will be obsolete and it will be a bunch of skirmishing line NS. Melee I dont care that much about I just worry that linebattles will loose the line part.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline regwilliam

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 12:02:55 am »
yea thats what I'm scared of to millander but if regiments are of a good size then the accurate of the muskets may kill a lot of men but you should still have a lot of the men left

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 05:47:38 am »
Maybe in the case of the few large regiments william but a vast majority of regiments wont be fielding 50+ people to negate those effects.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline regwilliam

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 06:15:33 am »
well the update talking about regiments makes it seem that joining regiment will be a lot easier and and manging them but if its not that way then use you are right that regiments will do skrim warfare to avoid loss

Developer Blog 2 - Regiment/Clan System

So last week we talked about our plans for supporting huge numbers of players, today we have gone for something a little bit different!
A lot of people have been asking us about how we plan on supporting community made clans and regiments in-game. We have already had a lot of thought on this as our community is very important to us, especially as Battle Cry of Freedom is a competitive multiplayer game.

So our planned system will work something like this:
You can freely create clans for our game, these groups are called “Regiments”. These Regiments will be groups of players much like you see in our previous title Napoleonic Wars, however we aim to support these groups as much as possible in-game, and so please read on to get a picture of what we are planning.

Clan/Regiment page
The clan/regiment page is like an advanced version of a steam group. Clans can post news and announce events there. It is possible to easily browse the clan’s players, to take a look at their ranks and stats (including activity). The regiment page could also be used to communicate with each other. It has a small built in chat which saves the last messages, so players can view messages which were written a few days or weeks ago. This can possibly be expanded upon when we receive the appropriate feedback and support.

Ranks
The Regiment page also has a built-in ranking system. Ranks are displayed in-game and in the player overview of the clan. Administrators and founders of the clan can promote or demote players in the clan at will. However, promoting someone to an officer is only possible by the founder, because officers are not not necessarily administrators. Newly recruited players will automatically get the “recruit” rank assigned.

Joining a clan
Players can join and leave a clan as they wish. When joining a clan they have to fill out an application the founder will have created when creating the Regiment. The application is then automatically sent to the Regiment founder, the administrators and moderators. Admins, founders or moderators then just have to accept or deny the application.

Ingame tag system
When joining the game as a member of a Regiment, the game will represent the regiments tags + the current rank tags. For example: Clan tag: 882nd; Rank: Private; Name: Hans
Ingame name: 882nd Pvt. Hans

Medals
Every player, no matter if he is in a Regiment or not can receive medals for playing.
There will be special medals for special acts. For example, you could get a medal for defending a position against a majority of enemies or for playing the game for a certain time. When getting killed by an enemy, you will be able to see his rank, name, regiment, and his medals. Medals are faction specific, players are not able to get Southern medals when playing the Union and vice versa.

Competitive Play
We very much plan to support competitive Regiment play. We are not completely sure how it is best supported, but for now we plan to have an overall Regiment ranking list, where all regiments are shown with their overall score and victories. Regiment competitions will be organised by Regiments where they will choose a specific engagement (or part of an engagement depending on play count) and fight it out. The winner will receive a point/s which will add on to their total ranking.

We will see you next week!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:18:33 am by valdan »

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2014, 07:30:04 am »
Just subbing to the thread.