Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 525265 times)

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The General Political Thread
« Reply #2070 on: November 30, 2017, 10:29:38 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

0:29: "We need to ARREST Drumpf."

(And some of you thought Labour couldn't be any worse than the Tories? Lol.)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2071 on: November 30, 2017, 10:34:52 pm »
Yes because a single MP represents party policy

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: November 30, 2017, 10:40:52 pm »
The fact that any party MP would suggest such an absurd thing speaks volumes about the party, to be honest. Imagine a UKIP MP suggesting we arrest Merkel; he/she'd be ridiculed.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: November 30, 2017, 11:04:30 pm »
Imagine a Ukip MEP calling women sluts at a party. Imagine one claiming that he lost friends in the hullsborough disaster when he didn’t. Imagine saying he wouldn’t be opposed to bringing back internment camps. Or maybe when Nuttall wrote about how the existence of the NHS was a bad thing. He also once aired his scepticism about climate change and opposition to a ruling where a couple were charged with discrimination for not allowing two gay men to sleep in the same bed. Does this represent UKIP?

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #2074 on: November 30, 2017, 11:07:10 pm »
He also once aired his scepticism about climate change
What a sin

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2075 on: November 30, 2017, 11:10:51 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

0:29: "We need to ARREST Drumpf."

(And some of you thought Labour couldn't be any worse than the Tories? Lol.)
What you said is a bit misleading. The guy said the whole arrest thing as a means the ambassador should use to persuade Trump not to come to the UK.
You make it seem like he was calling from Trump to be extradited because "ye old batshit labour" was trying to get him arrested.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 30, 2017, 11:19:25 pm »
He also once aired his scepticism about climate change
What a sin
Well it’s generally accepted that climate change is a thing..

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: November 30, 2017, 11:20:18 pm »
Imagine a Ukip MEP calling women sluts at a party. Imagine one claiming that he lost friends in the hullsborough disaster when he didn’t. Imagine saying he wouldn’t be opposed to bringing back internment camps. Or maybe when Nuttall wrote about how the existence of the NHS was a bad thing. He also once aired his scepticism about climate change and opposition to a ruling where a couple were charged with discrimination for not allowing two gay men to sleep in the same bed. Does this represent UKIP?

The difference being that UKIP is a small and obscure party, in comparison to Labour who are supposed to be light years more professional and have massive national reach and an international platform!

What incredibly amateurish diplomacy from politicians belonging to a country which is withdrawing membership from the largest political entity in the continent, the immediate source of our trade. If we get a poor deal with the EU (the chances of which become greater everyday with May essentially bending over during negotiations) we may have to rely upon our allies to cover the losses for the short-term.

It's hardly the time to be risking our relationship with our greatest and most powerful ally - all for the sake of taking the moral high ground. 

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: November 30, 2017, 11:23:32 pm »
UKIP is only a small and obscure party because they did these things. They were big players until they exhausted their usefulness. I honestly can’t believe your excuse is that they’re not professional enough as if that’s okay.

Why would labour abandon their merits and the core beliefs of their party over Donald Trump. He’ll be gone by the next UK election anyway.

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: November 30, 2017, 11:31:06 pm »
UKIP is only a small and obscure party because they did these things. They were big players until they exhausted their usefulness. I honestly can’t believe your excuse is that they’re not professional enough as if that’s okay.

Why would labour abandon their merits and the core beliefs of their party over Donald Trump. He’ll be gone by the next UK election anyway.
So are you saying that the Green party is small and obscure because they act like UKIP? Interesting thought.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:32 pm »

So are you saying that the Green party is small and obscure because they act like UKIP? Interesting thought.
What do you mean? UKIP are unpopular because they were overly controversial and kind of irrelevant after the Brexit vote. How does that relate to green?

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: November 30, 2017, 11:36:57 pm »

First of all UKIP were never that influential within the realm of UK politics. The two-party system, broken as it is, saw to that. I don't think it's logical to use Nuttall's past comments as justification for Labour's downright stupidity, which is becoming more of a problem as of late (see Diane Abbott for another fantastic example of the average Labour MP).

Labour's merits and core beliefs involve breaching international law and arresting a foreign diplomat should he visit our country? That's incredible. As for your second point: I'd argue quite the contrary; polarization is only becoming more and more prevalent in the west and as a result populist politicians such as Donald Trump will only stand a great chance in the polling booths come the next election period.

(In case you were hinting at impeachment or the like: don't be silly.)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: November 30, 2017, 11:43:25 pm »
Things only appear to be what suits you Gordo. I was comparing this one Labour mp to one UKIP mp, proving my point that a single person doesn’t represent the party.

And when talking about Labour’s policies I was referencing their left wing beliefs that counter those of Donald Trump, showing why they would oppose him rather than talking about the comments of the labour MP. I assume you vote UKIP though because they can do no wrong in your eyes.

UKIP were influential in UK politics, no chance of getting into government but to say that they had no effect would be a lie. Donald Trump has a terrible approval rating. He won’t get re-elected. And in the UK the next government will almost certainly be a labour one.

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: November 30, 2017, 11:45:52 pm »

What do you mean? UKIP are unpopular because they were overly controversial and kind of irrelevant after the Brexit vote. How does that relate to green?
You're implying the party is small because of it being controversial and loud. Implying first past the post and their sole objective as a protest party isn't the actual reasons for their size. No one will elect a government of a protest party because they often have no plans aside from one or two big ones. Which is why UKIP died after the vote. The sole use of UKIP was to get the Brexit vote, thats the reason why its obscure. The way they acted is what allowed them to have some influence despite being small. Maybe if the greens where more controversial they'd do better as well. 

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: November 30, 2017, 11:52:08 pm »
The more extreme stuff that Nuttall has said certainly aren’t reasons to have gained voters. Extremist parties don’t often gain much of the vote in the UK going either way. That’s why the appointment of Corbyn was met with a lot of scepticism since he was more left leaning than New Labour. Both of the biggest parties are more central leaning on their respective side of the spectrum. The greens are actually relatively similar in size to UKIP so that would kind of disprove the idea that controversy means votes.