Author Topic: 16th Election (July-Sept Term) - Candidates and Discussion  (Read 17214 times)

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: 16th Election (July-Sept Term) - Candidates and Discussion
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2019, 01:44:20 am »
The point is, regardless of what you used to do, you're comp focused right now and that's a problem. Basically started in casual but progressively become more into comp. Your list of recent events isn't really enough to change my mind that you're a comp player at heart, which isn't a bad thing... I'm just afraid that you'd be too focused on comp stuff.

Everyone, at one point, was just a casual player.

Godfreid has the COMMUNITY as a whole in mind. Not JUST the competitive scene or your precious casual events. Don't try to read his mind, you're not some sort of Jedi.

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
  • Side: Union
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2019, 01:48:34 am »
The point is, regardless of what you used to do, you're comp focused right now and that's a problem. Basically started in casual but progressively become more into comp. Your list of recent events isn't really enough to change my mind that you're a comp player at heart.

No, the point is you're laughably unqualified to speak on me, and you have nothing to back up the statements you keep making.

Like you saying I'm comp focused right now...based on what? My regular mercing for casual events when I can? My bringing 3eVolt back together for a casual event? You don't talk to me on a regular basis, you have NO IDEA where my focus lies, none. You're  just throwing out a statement you think sounds right and will stick.

I've even probably been to more casual events recently than you have.

I don't care even a little bit about changing your mind, what I care about is not letting myself get misrepresented by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.
agree to disagree, it's not personal.

Tbh Gluk you were gone for a while and came back sometime this year. Why should we have a CR that isn’t active in the community. Windflower has barely played the game since PSG died but at least he talks to the community every now and then to check up on it & stay somewhat in touch. The casual scene doesn’t need much fixing since people still go to the same boring events every week without much complaints & the people who run the events got rid of the people/regiments who we’re corrupting the events recently (last month or 2).
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
  • Side: Union
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2019, 01:50:08 am »
The point is, regardless of what you used to do, you're comp focused right now and that's a problem. Basically started in casual but progressively become more into comp. Your list of recent events isn't really enough to change my mind that you're a comp player at heart, which isn't a bad thing... I'm just afraid that you'd be too focused on comp stuff.

Everyone, at one point, was just a casual player.

Godfreid has the COMMUNITY as a whole in mind. Not JUST the competitive scene or your precious casual events. Don't try to read his mind, you're not some sort of Jedi.
I'm not saying he wont, i'm saying that based on his history, he's a comp player right now.

Offline Stroke0fd34th

• Major General
  • Luck is for people who are too lazy to train
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Godfreid
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2019, 02:00:11 am »
The point is, regardless of what you used to do, you're comp focused right now and that's a problem. Basically started in casual but progressively become more into comp. Your list of recent events isn't really enough to change my mind that you're a comp player at heart.

No, the point is you're laughably unqualified to speak on me, and you have nothing to back up the statements you keep making.

Like you saying I'm comp focused right now...based on what? My regular mercing for casual events when I can? My bringing 3eVolt back together for a casual event? You don't talk to me on a regular basis, you have NO IDEA where my focus lies, none. You're  just throwing out a statement you think sounds right and will stick.

I've even probably been to more casual events recently than you have.

I don't care even a little bit about changing your mind, what I care about is not letting myself get misrepresented by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.
agree to disagree, it's not personal.

No. You've demonstrated that you don't know what you're talking about, so stop making statements regarding me. It's that simple.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:02:06 am by Stroke0fd34th »

Offline JollyCanadian

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I fucking got out bitches | 84th Geezer | 2929
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2019, 02:02:23 am »
Time to stop that argument. It's going no where and it isn't making anymore sense.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:04:15 am by JollyCanadian »
5x NACR Elect | Current: Glenn's Husband|ex- 84th/15e/17th/30th(OG)/USMC/58e/26e/

Offline Stroke0fd34th

• Major General
  • Luck is for people who are too lazy to train
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Godfreid
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2019, 02:03:22 am »
Time to stop that argument. It's going no were and it isn't making anymore sense.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2019, 02:15:19 am »
This might very well be lost in the above argument related to Gluck and Godfried's candidacies but just pointing that I genuinely appreciate Blaze's admission of not being the most active and knowledgeable community player but still intending to make his best effort on keeping an eye on competitive matters and getting involved with the relevant people. Imo that's a risky move to make when you know that any influential 'competitive' player could make an application and get a large part of the competitive community behind him, which also represents a large part of the people being active on the forums and therefore voting for that election.

The last EU CR was one of the pillars of the NW competitive scene and that it's very unlikely we'll get someone as competent when it comes to competitive matters. It's also worth remembering that the competitive community is rather self-sustainable and that a CR has no real way to stop the most detrimental effect for its health, aka losing players/leaders over the years who do not get replaced. A CR has to be capable of taking care of both communities and while the competitive community might be more demanding in term of 'time' because its members are used to certain standards regarding events, tournaments, regiments and teams, it's not necessarily the one which might be in need of help & new projects the most.

I know Blaze doesn't look like the most obvious candidate, didn't look like one for me at first glance either - especially due to low forum activity as of late - but for the reasons mentioned above I believe he is at least worth being considered for what he is capable to bring.

At the current state of the community especially, it's important to see the bigger picture and not be driven by egotistical reasonings. So long as they don't join the 19th and get disgusted of the competitive side, players starting the game or joining a new regiment now in a casual environment could very well turn out to be great competitive players later on once they grow a desire to push things further and discover another aspect of NW. If they try out competitive now, most won't make it past day 2.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:50:01 pm by Tardet »
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline JollyCanadian

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2019, 02:18:31 am »
This might very well be lost in the above argument related to Gluck and Godfried's candidacies but just pointing that I genuinely appreciate Blaze's admission of not being the most active and knowledgeable community player but still intending to make his best effort on keeping an eye on competitive matters and getting involved with the relevant people. Imo that's a risky move to make when you know that any influent 'competitive' player could make an application and get a large part of the competitive community behind him, which also represents a large part of the people being active on the forums and therefore voting for that election.

The last EU CR was one of the pillars of the NW competitive scene and that it's very unlikely we'll get someone as competent when it comes to competitive matters. It's also worth remembering that the competitive community is rather self-sustainable and that a CR has no real way to stop the most detrimental effect for its health, aka losing players/leaders over the years who do not get replaced. A CR has to be capable of taking care of both communities and while the competitive community might be more demanding in term of 'time' because its members are used to certain standards regarding events, tournaments, regiments and teams, it's not necessarily the one which might be in need of help & new projects the most.

I know Blaze doesn't look like the most obvious candidate, didn't look like one for me at first glance either - especially due to low forum activity as of late - but for the reasons mentioned above I believe he is at least worth being considered for what he is capable to bring.

At the current state of the community especially, it's important to see the bigger picture and not be driven by egotistical reasonings. So long as they don't join the 19th and get disgusted of the competitive side, players starting the game or joining a new regiment now in a casual environment could very well turn out to be great competitive players later on once they grow a desire to push things further and discover another aspect of NW. If they try out competitive now, most won't make it past day 2.
+1
5x NACR Elect | Current: Glenn's Husband|ex- 84th/15e/17th/30th(OG)/USMC/58e/26e/

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2019, 02:20:30 am »
To be truthful, nobody is qualified fully if the qualifications involve being both active on a competitive and casual level. I personally don't know Godfreids level of activity overall on casual, but his general focus historically in the last year and a half or 2 is competitive. The state of the NA community currently and for as long as I can remember in the last few years has meant that the majority of the player base is casual. Therefore I think what Gluks concerns are is that Godfreid might not represent that majority player base as he feels he might.

That is not to say that Godfreid isn't capable or doesn't have plans to be involved in the casual side a bit more in order to promote the coordination and lessen the gap between comp and casual. I personally would welcome that as the competitive scene is relatively small and everybody could benefit from the casual players being able to approach competitive events and learn more about the higher tier gameplay and enrich their own gameplay experience.
As for the casual side benefits, it is tough to tell, but everybody getting a little bit better and be able to be involved on both sides of the game would make for an interesting community on NA as in the past every regiment had a crack at competitive whilst maintaining their casual events.

Also being honest,  Gluk may have had past experience and was semi active recently with the 1erGren partaking in both casual and competitive, but his own personal activity is not great, so I don't know how he would find the time.

Jolly has had lots of experience in casual and its community and also been involved in the competitive scene and trying to promote casual players involving themselves in it. My own personal vote is Jolly for these reasons,  although saying that I don't know how active he is anymore in game with the recent break of the 15e.

Offline JollyCanadian

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2019, 02:24:25 am »
Jolly has had lots of experience in casual and its community and also been involved in the competitive scene and trying to promote casual players involving themselves in it. My own personal vote is Jolly for these reasons,  although saying that I don't know how active he is anymore in game with the recent break of the 15e.

I haven't been going to casual events this is true and I'm not too sure if I plan on it. I might be mercing every once in a while. Currently my focus is on the BBG and managing the servers and admins within it. Currently planning on running a fun event for the public players and of course the rest of NW if invited.

Offline JollyCanadian

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2019, 02:27:29 am »
to add on to that last point.
My focus is more on running and helping organize events for the players not so much playing the game. I do enjoy it but I enjoy giving opportunities for players to enjoy the game in more ways then just pub events and comp 1v1s. Looking into doing capture the flag on a large scale and hopefully other game types like dan's paint ball custom game.

Offline Yvrul

• Private
  • Lt. of the 1. Leib Husaren, IV Korps for life
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1LH_Lt_Lurvy / 4e_Huss_Cvl_Lurvy
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2019, 02:27:40 am »
Vote for Erik.

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2019, 04:15:45 am »
Like Tardet said good luck getting casual guys to do competitive after 2 days or even a week. Too many NA regiments are scared to even approach comp stuff nowadays so you have to personally ask players that are somewhat skilled in those regs to encourage them to try it out.

Offline JollyCanadian

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2019, 04:32:42 am »
Like Tardet said good luck getting casual guys to do competitive after 2 days or even a week. Too many NA regiments are scared to even approach comp stuff nowadays so you have to personally ask players that are somewhat skilled in those regs to encourage them to try it out.
This is the hardest thing that I've faced when trying to get them in. but it's a long game that has to be played. It's not like we all just went into comp right away. A lot of people don't like to take it seriously but so long as it's enjoyable they tend to do comp. Personally I think if you can create a bond with a small group of people and get them involved in friendly tournaments and other things like that they do come around to joining more serious comp.

If nothing else I still think we should as a community or atleast a few individuals attempt to get more people to join if not then make more friendly tournaments OR Continue the tournaments we have. I'm gonna try and get a few tournament hosters together so we may constantly have tournaments under the same name on a regular basis.(This wouldn't act like the tournament group that EU currently has)

|Viper|

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2019, 04:48:03 am »
I don’t care who you are, but if you host tournaments I can play in with my friends I’ll vote for you.